Spyder Garage

Cool CAN-AM SPYDER RIDER EDUCATION PROGRAM

So this past Friday we made the 4hour trek up to Troy NY so my wife could take the course. It was held at the Hudson Valley Community College. First day was classroom in the morning and range in the afternoon. They had 3 RT's and 3 F3's which BRP gave them to use. This was there second class the they held, the course coaches (2 of them) were very good but they are not very familiar with spyders. Besides my wife there were 4 other ladies taking the class. We own an RT but my wife wound up on an F3 which she really liked. While they were ryding I got to talk to the owner of the riding school. He was very nice, seems he and his mother (who I got to chat with the next day) own and run the riding school. The second day it was flipped and they did the range in the morning. There was a third person on the range and I thought it was another coach but after a while he walked over to where I was and we started talking. Turns out he was from NY state and was doing a surprise visit. Another nice gentleman and we had a good conversation about the course, BRP, and just bikes in general. So I learned a lot about the whole process and course over the weekend. All 5 women passed and received their wavers. They take up to 12 in the class so they were lucky to be in a small class. The class cost $75 but BRP pays $200 PP also.

All in all I thoughts were that it was a very good class. The coaches worked well with the students helping them to effectively learn to ryde. The coaches were also nice and encouraging although a few of the women felt the female coach was bitchy.

I would encourage anyone that needs the endorsement to take this class.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

thanks for that update, as we were curious about experiences with this class. One thing bothers me, in that the instructors were not very familiar with spyders. I thought that since this class was sponsored by BRP, they would teach spyder-specific riding skills by instructors with likely years of experience with spyders. I was particularly interested in understanding more about the physics of riding a spyder, how to make safe accident or obstacle avoidance maneuvers on a spyder, best practice techniques for how to properly distribute weight, and where in turns, what visual cues to use for keeping the bike within the line turning wide or sharp turns/curves. Seems like that's not the case with this course.

I compare this to the very intensive HD training we both took for riding two-wheelers. Becoming very proficient in using the friction zone for low-speed maneuvering by understanding the basics of two-wheel physics. Learning how to counter-weight to dodge road obstructions at slow and high speeds, learning how to increase or decrease your rate of turn when in a curve to avoid tracking too wide or too narrow, standing up the bike in a turn for accident avoidance, etc.

so, it does bother me that instructors teaching riding of a very unique machine that has handling characteristics that are different from just about everything else, did not have experience with them? I wonder if this is the case in general for these types of classes.

Jeff.
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 06-11-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    thanks for that update, as we were curious about experiences with this class. One thing bothers me, in that the instructors were not very familiar with spyders. I thought that since this class was sponsored by BRP, they would teach spyder-specific riding skills by instructors with likely years of experience with spyders. I was particularly interested in understanding more about the physics of riding a spyder, how to make safe accident or obstacle avoidance maneuvers on a spyder, best practice techniques for how to properly distribute weight, and where in turns, what visual cues to use for keeping the bike within the line turning wide or sharp turns/curves. Seems like that's not the case with this course.

I compare this to the very intensive HD training we both took for riding two-wheelers. Becoming very proficient in using the friction zone for low-speed maneuvering by understanding the basics of two-wheel physics. Learning how to counter-weight to dodge road obstructions at slow and high speeds, learning how to increase or decrease your rate of turn when in a curve to avoid tracking too wide or too narrow, standing up the bike in a turn for accident avoidance, etc.

so, it does bother me that instructors teaching riding of a very unique machine that has handling characteristics from just about everything else, did not have experience with them? I wonder if this is the case in general for these types of classes.

Jeff.

This is just a very basic class. I did understand that BRP came down and did a session with the rider coaches but a one time thing with no real time in the saddle only goes so far.

Two things I noticed regarding that is when the women came out of the morning class and onto the range they said they were told they did not need to shift as the bike was automatic. I said no you shift up but the bike will downshift. They did not believe me until the found that they had to shift. The other thing was that one of them must have hit the hazards and it took a little while until the coaches figured out how to turn them off.

But I just want to say that I am not knocking the course. I feel it is very good starter. The coaches are 2 wheel experienced and were thrown into to this quickly. Over time it will get better. The bikes have no license plates so cannot be ridden on the road. It is of my opinion should be allowed to take these bikes home when not in use for a class and really get to know the handling and operating features of the bike. I also feel a more advanced course should be offered by experienced coaches that could cover some of the things you mentioned.
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

great detail. thanks for the follow up! sounds like a good course for someone who has never ridden a two-wheeler or any kind of ATV, side-by-side, etc.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    ...Besides my wife there were 4 other ladies taking the class. We own an RT but my wife wound up on an F3 which she really liked. All 5 women passed and received their wavers. They take up to 12 in the class so they were lucky to be in a small class. The class cost $75 but BRP pays $200 PP also.
    All in all I thoughts were that it was a very good class. The coaches worked well with the students helping them to effectively learn to ryde.
    Sounds like the same experience my wife had here in INDY, all ladies. This may not be true 100% of the time; but I think an all ladies class option is a good idea, especially for those with passenger only experience.
    After the class was over, one of the ladies, who has a F3, encouraged my wife to take the F3 out. The 2 coaches told me that she handled the F3 better than the RT. Right now, I don't feel the F3, even in the Limited form, is as good a 2-up platform as my RT Limited. I realize the F3 platform is evolving. Hopefully in a couple of years it will get better.
    The rumor "on the street" is that the price of the class will be going up. It started out as advertised for @$50.00, then quickly went to $75. It would not surprise me to see next year's course cost to be $150.00.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It's entirely possible that it's site dependent.
    The coaches in my class last month were knowledgeable about the Spyder and the physics. Hence they had us learn to drift around corners purposely. Stomping on the breaks until the anti-locks kicked in. Learning to quickly swerve. They also had good knowledge of sidecars (one trainer did tricks to show us how the counterbalancing works).

While I do agree they weren't up to speed on the 2018 tech, but I feel that wasn't critical to learning to ride basics.

I also recommend the class, not only for the chance to get endorsement in a good learning environment, but also for learning some skills that might not be learned on the road.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review

Thanks for the review, this should help those on the fence about taking the class. I also see where on some dates and places they are offering the course free..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    So this past Friday we made the 4hour trek up to Troy NY so my wife could take the course. It was held at the Hudson Valley Community College. First day was classroom in the morning and range in the afternoon. They had 3 RT's and 3 F3's which BRP gave them to use. This was there second class the they held, the course coaches (2 of them) were very good but they are not very familiar with spyders. Besides my wife there were 4 other ladies taking the class. We own an RT but my wife wound up on an F3 which she really liked. While they were ryding I got to talk to the owner of the riding school. He was very nice, seems he and his mother (who I got to chat with the next day) own and run the riding school. The second day it was flipped and they did the range in the morning. There was a third person on the range and I thought it was another coach but after a while he walked over to where I was and we started talking. Turns out he was from NY state and was doing a surprise visit. Another nice gentleman and we had a good conversation about the course, BRP, and just bikes in general. So I learned a lot about the whole process and course over the weekend. All 5 women passed and received their wavers. They take up to 12 in the class so they were lucky to be in a small class. The class cost $75 but BRP pays $200 PP also.

All in all I thoughts were that it was a very good class. The coaches worked well with the students helping them to effectively learn to ryde. The coaches were also nice and encouraging although a few of the women felt the female coach was bitchy.

Thanks very much for the update on this course, since I called on Thursday and was told it was full. Based on what you say about the instructor's knowledge and experience, and what was and wasn't covered, I'm glad that they told me it was full and that I could not get in. It sounds to me like they need to get their act together before this is worthwhile for anyone with any ryding experience. I think that I would have been disappointed.

BTW - What do you mean by "the range"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    The coaches in my class last month were knowledgeable about the Spyder and the physics. Hence they had us learn to drift around corners purposely. Stomping on the breaks until the anti-locks kicked in. Learning to quickly swerve. They also had good knowledge of sidecars (one trainer did tricks to show us how the counterbalancing works).

While I do agree they weren't up to speed on the 2018 tech, but I feel that wasn't critical to learning to ride basics.

I also recommend the class, not only for the chance to get endorsement in a good learning environment, but also for learning some skills that might not be learned on the road.
    Now THAT'S the kind of course that I was hoping for!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post

BTW - What do you mean by "the range"?
    Where they rode
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    The coaches in my class last month were knowledgeable about the Spyder and the physics. Hence they had us learn to drift around corners purposely. Stomping on the breaks until the anti-locks kicked in. Learning to quickly swerve. They also had good knowledge of sidecars (one trainer did tricks to show us how the counterbalancing works). While I do agree they weren't up to speed on the 2018 tech, but I feel that wasn't critical to learning to ride basics. I also recommend the class, not only for the chance to get endorsement in a good learning environment, but also for learning some skills that might not be learned on the road.
    I had a similar experience at the class I took last month in Richland, Washington. The instructor was not a 3 wheel owner, but he was knowledgeable and experience with 3 wheelers. We had a class of 6 and 2 were women. One of the women already has her own Spyder and was driving on a learner’s permit.

One ofthe main issues that I had was that the course was geared towards all 3wheelers, and spent too much time focused on side cars. That is the fault of the State of Washington, not the driving school. The State dictates what must be taught in the course to qualify for the endorsement. As far as on the range, it was all Spyders and I had loads of fun. That is why I purchased my F3T last weekend.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Class next week...

I will be interested in what the class will be like next week. MN doesn't recognize the class/waiver which I hope the state changes that rule soon. I already have my 3 and 2 wheel license. Looking forward to learning more!

Spyder Garage

My wife is taking the Can-Am rider course this weekend. She could have taken it last month but it was too hot. I told her the odds of it being cooler in July were not good but she wanted to roll the dice anyway. We are taking a week long trip to the Black Hills in September and she needs to be comfortable and legal to drive if I should ever have an accident.

Spyder Garage

My impression is that Can Am went and found motorcycle safety schools in each state and contracted with them to teach a Spyder safety course and loaned them 3-4 bikes for the foreseeable future. Like some others I got a 45 min PowerPoint motorcycle safety refresher then spent the next 3 hours on a 2017 RTL. They also had 2 f3s. I think because each school is independently owned your mileage may vary. My instructor had us very aggressively cornering and braking to bring on the ABS as well as normal and late apex etc. He seemed knowledgeable but the school owner was passionate about the Spyder so that trickled down to the instructor.

A couple of caveats, California does not require a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder. I got my endorsement 3 years earlier so I could rent a Spyder in Az and go on a trip with my brother. My 4 hour class in no way compares to the two day Safety course I took for the endorsement. If I remember correctly there was four hours of lecture for that and two four hour sessions on the “range” (training course, usually a college parking lot). Both the classroom and the riding were followed by tests for knowledge and competence for which there was a minimum standard for passing. Passing did mean that you did not have to do the riding test at the DMV which was good because I didn’t own a motorcycle at the time.

Hope this helps. Perhaps the best part was I did things to the school bike I hope to never have to do to my RTL.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My experience with RiderEdNJ back in May was pretty positive. 2 instructors, one very knowledgeable about Spyder, the other less so but certainly capable of doing his job.
    6 students, only 2 of us having ridden anything before, and only me having a Spyder that I used in the class..other guy has a Road King trike but class was specifically for Spyder.
    They had 6 new RT and F3 on 2 year loans from a local dealer.
    Over 2 days, about 40% in class and 60% on range.
    Subsidized by BRP from 325 to 75.
    Time and money well spent, even for this 20+ year 2-wheeler but 3-wheeler newb!!!

Just over 1700 miles now on the Odo since late January...woohoo!
    Starting to teach the wife (zero experience other than million for 20+) in advance of her course in September.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default 3 wheel course

Did the BRP sponsored 3 wheel motorcycle class. Instructor was good. Class was fun. F3's and RT's available to ride. Sadly in MN they stiil make you go to the dmv for the 3 wheel test for liscense (not the same after taking tbe 2 wheel course). It was handled as if it did! I wish I would have taken a course like this years ago before taking my 3 wheel dmv test when I was newer to spyder riding.

Spyder Garage

Default I just took Can Am sponsored safety course

Signed up because it was so much more affordable than the standard 3 wheel class (here in WA you need a seperate endorsement for 2 or 3 wheels). Both my husband and I already had 2 wheel endorsements. The in class was mostly the same as the 2 wheel class and on riding range we had option of HD Sportsters that had been triked, side car rigs and several models of Can Am. While it appears that there is some variety in where controls are located, the Can Ams seemed to ride pretty much the same. Our instructors knew their way around each of the vehicle options and gave excellent suggestions about stabilizing in turns and maneuvering. If you attend a course and don't get that instruction, demand a refund! It is important.