Spyder Garage

Default Fixing Sena Device Manager - Useful Information

I previously posted concerning my troubles when I attempted to update the firmware and change a few settings on my Sena SMH5's. The Sena Device Manager would not recognize my communicators. It would download the latest Sena driver but Windows 10 would post: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source (Code 52)."

Instead of simply fixing the digital signature of its drivers to satisfy Windows, Sena's response is an "end run" around the problem that allows the user to install unverified drivers. A lazy solution on their part IMO but at least they helped me make it work -- after a good week of pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. The following are a combination of my own tips and theirs. Hope this may help some fellow SpyderLovers.

1) You really have to use the original Sena cable. Another cable may charge the unit but won't necessarily allow updates. There is a way to make sure your USB connection is recognized; it's in the Sena program files, USBCheck.exe.

2) Assuming your USB is up and running properly, click the Start Menu and select "Settings."

3) Click "Update and Security."

4) Click "Recovery."

5) Click "Restart Now" which is located under "Advanced Startup."

6) Click "Troubleshoot."

7) Click "Advanced Options."

8) Click "Startup Settings." On my Windows 10, this was NOT on the "Advanced Options" page, but there was a tiny line at the bottom (no actual button) where it lists "Additional Options," and the "Startup Settings" are on that second page.

9) Press "7" or "F7" to disable driver signature enforcement. At this point the computer will restart. Once it restarts, you can then use Sena Device Manager and it will install Sena's NON-digitally signed drivers. Once I got to this point, everything was fine. Once you restart the computer again, it will revert back to requiring driver signature enforcement but it won't matter because now the proper drivers are installed.

See, only nine (9) easy steps to install a unsigned driver instead of just providing a signed driver in the first place. Thanks, Sena!
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default SMH 10

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I previously posted concerning my troubles when I attempted to update the firmware and change a few settings on my Sena SMH5's. The Sena Device Manager would not recognize my communicators. It would download the latest Sena driver but Windows 10 would post: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source (Code 52)."

Instead of simply fixing the digital signature of its drivers to satisfy Windows, Sena's response is an "end run" around the problem that allows the user to install unverified drivers. A lazy solution on their part IMO but at least they helped me make it work -- after a good week of pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. The following are a combination of my own tips and theirs. Hope this may help some fellow SpyderLovers.

1) You really have to use the original Sena cable. Another cable may charge the unit but won't necessarily allow updates. There is a way to make sure your USB connection is recognized; it's in the Sena program files, USBCheck.exe.

2) Assuming your USB is up and running properly, click the Start Menu and select "Settings."

3) Click "Update and Security."

4) Click "Recovery."

5) Click "Restart Now" which is located under "Advanced Startup."

6) Click "Troubleshoot."

7) Click "Advanced Options."

8) Click "Startup Settings." On my Windows 10, this was NOT on the "Advanced Options" page, but there was a tiny line at the bottom (no actual button) where it lists "Additional Options," and the "Startup Settings" are on that second page.

9) Press "7" or "F7" to disable driver signature enforcement. At this point the computer will restart. Once it restarts, you can then use Sena Device Manager and it will install Sena's NON-digitally signed drivers. Once I got to this point, everything was fine. Once you restart the computer again, it will revert back to requiring driver signature enforcement but it won't matter because now the proper drivers are installed.

See, only nine (9) easy steps to install a unsigned driver instead of just providing a signed driver in the first place. Thanks, Sena!
    Glad I saw this post. Same problem w/my Sena SMH10s. Spent 45 minutes w/Sena .... still unable to"recognize device". Have tried steps same as u have listed but a no go
    2016 RT Limited, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, Comfort Seat, Wizard LED Accent Lights; Ultimate Trailer;(had) 2012 Spyder RT, Seal Floorboards, 2006 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1989 Yamaha 850 Special, Sena SMH10 Dual Headsets, ZOX Modular Helmet; Guardian Angel on my shoulder!

Spyder Garage

Many thanks, that was really helpful! Obviously Sena didn't make it to sign their driver. I bought my device on 09-MAR-2019 (!)

Spyder Garage

Sena's tech support leaves something to be desired. I've had dealings with them with no luck.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Same issue with my twice used out of warranty 30k. They know these 30k's are a piece of Sugar Honey Iced Tea, but they are failing to stand behind them. They also know 95% of 30k owners either put them back in the box or sold them before the new updates came out to put them up to par with the 50 series. Now, I know 5 of us with this same issue and Sena doesn't want to make it right by us. I guess we're supposed to stay loyal and purchase new 50s's. My dumb ass bought 3, Yes 3 Spider ST1's. But guess what. After speaking with Sena yesterday and Leo telling me I guess you have a $279 paper weight, All 3 of these mf's are getting returned. I'll be rocking my Cardo Packtalk's for this day forward!

Spyder Garage

6/2018

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlos1987 View Post
    Same issue with my twice used out of warranty 30k. They know these 30k's are a piece of Sugar Honey Iced Tea, but they are failing to stand behind them. They also know 95% of 30k owners either put them back in the box or sold them before the new updates came out to put them up to par with the 50 series. Now, I know 5 of us with this same issue and Sena doesn't want to make it right by us. I guess we're supposed to stay loyal and purchase new 50s's. My dumb ass bought 3, Yes 3 Spider ST1's. But guess what. After speaking with Sena yesterday and Leo telling me I guess you have a $279 paper weight, All 3 of these mf's are getting returned. I'll be rocking my Cardo Packtalk's for this day forward!
    If you get your SENA products from me you will get first rate service, just ask anybody here who got them from me, since you did not get them from me I can not help you much, here is a quick hint.... to talk to an R&D person at SENA go to their website look around for the contact us button and look for a phone number that has a prefix of 925/415/408 all are in the San Francisco SENA headquarters. you may have to call back a time or two if they are busy, otherwise you will get routed to a phone bank in who knows where.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    If you get your SENA products from me you will get first rate service, just ask anybody here who got them from me, since you did not get them from me I can not help you much, here is a quick hint.... to talk to an R&D person at SENA go to their website look around for the contact us button and look for a phone number that has a prefix of 925/415/408 all are in the San Francisco SENA headquarters. you may have to call back a time or two if they are busy, otherwise you will get routed to a phone bank in who knows where.....
    Bought my Sena SMH10's from Dave a couple of years ago. Never a problem, so never needed help. But, I'm sure it would have been there had I needed it.