Spyder Garage

Default Another Internet Informed Expert...

Well the wife and I just got back from a great trip from Phoenix area to Sequoia National Park - what a great time. A little warm in the Mohave area for sure, but not too bad. Lots of backroads on the way there via Lake Isabella and the Yokohl Valley via M296 - highly recommend the valley area - one car in over an hour of riding.

Anyway, on the way out of Sequoia Park there is some construction that necessitates a one lane passage on a hillside with about 20 minute waits in either direction. We turned out to be second in line waiting at the flagman area behind a group of 3 guys on GSA style bikes. One of the guys was visiting from Italy - all 3 very friendly and curious about the Spyder, especially the one from Italy. Well it wasn't 5 minutes before a guy about 3 or 4 vehicles back walked up to where the 5 of us were gathered and began to talk to the bikers, spouting his expertise on all their bikes and miles and trips he has ridden in the past (yawn). My wife and I decided to dig out a snack and were standing off to the side.

Eventually the Italian dug out a camera and took a picture of the Spyder, again commenting on its uniqueness. Now the guy from a few vehicles back has to again show his expertise in all things...

--"Yeah, these things just ride horrible - flat riding all the time, no cornering ability at all"
    He continued with a few similar but derogatory and redundant comments until finally mentioning they were meant for those who couldn't ride a motorcycle.
    OK, now I just HAD to say something...
    "So, is what you are saying based on personal experience or something you read on the internet?"
    I think I surprised him with that...
    --"No, just something I heard from my friends who ride bikes" which really translates to "I read it on the internet because I don't have any friends"
    So I just decided to let it go with a parting shot....
    "Actually they handle very well but it takes a bit more skill to ride one of these than a motorcycle - so I would advise you to stick to something easier if you ever decide to start riding"
    I then went back to something more important - finishing my snack.

I know this is not new to most of you - seeing how misinformation gets propogated with clowns that pretend to be experts in all things without having any firsthand knowledge of anything.
    I have seen it so much in my former profession - it was almost comical to see it again - this time about the Spyder.
    My wife and I laughed a little about it later and just chalked it up as nothing more than another mis-informed dufus.
    On to more fun riding and long trips - hopefully more entertainment down the road.
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    Well it wasn't 5 minutes before a guy about 3 or 4 vehicles back walked up to where the 5 of us were gathered and began to talk to the bikers, spouting his expertise on all their bikes and miles and trips he has ridden in the past (yawn). Now the guy from a few vehicles back has to again show his expertise in all things...
    --"Yeah, these things just ride horrible - flat riding all the time, no cornering ability at all"
    He continued with a few similar but derogatory and redundant comments until finally mentioning they were meant for those who couldn't ride a motorcycle.
    ... just something I heard from my friends who ride bikes"
    So, he doesn't even ride himself? Sounds like a few people I've known who have to interject into any conversation (or thread) whether they know anything about the topic or not.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-10-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The guy from Italy had never seen one? On facebook there are quite a few friends requests that I get from Europe. They post a lot of pics of
    spyder events over there but I just cant understand what they are saying.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

You handled the "comeback" well IMO. And...it did not start a gunfight.

When 's first came out...the reviews from the MC mags were "amazing." As in--they did not have a clue. I had to endure 8 months of "bad" reviews while I was waiting for my 2008 to arrive.

The reviews about handling issues are "hooey." There is a learning curve--and that is about all.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, they're everywhere. I mean to defusi who don't know what they're talking about. You handled it really well.

One of the things I like about traveling to the national parks in the west is that you meet folks from all over the world.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Posted this here before but I thought it resonated with this.

Was at a local rally and this guy comes up to me and starts boasting about his bike and the "long" journeys he'd none (which were very short from my point of view but I was polite). Well that's fine because sometimes people are like that when they first start talking to someone new.

But then he looks at my Spyder and says "Nice looking, but wouldn't you prefer a proper bike".

The guy was riding some sort of modern cruiser, was in pristine new 'biker' gear and I'd just seen him wobble feet-down around the car park 10 minutes earlier only just keeping his balance.

Before I could bite my tongue I said "Nice Jacket, did you get it when you got your licence".

Smile, frown and off he went.

PS My jacket has clearly been around the block quite a few times;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"..illegitimi non carborundum."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default It is a rule of thumb....

The less someone knows about something. The more sure they are that they are right!

A true 'Expert' understands that no one knows it all. And that there is always more to know about any subject.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default This is my motto

Who's the bigger fool ?
    The fool ? Or the one who argues with a fool ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you try arguing with a fool: you have to stoop to his level of ignorance...

...And he'll beat you with his experience: every time!

Spyder Garage

Like teaching a pig to dance, it just annoys the pig and wastes your time.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Now that is funny!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The less someone knows about something. The more sure they are that they are right!

A true 'Expert' understands that no one knows it all. And that there is always more to know about any subject.
    Right on!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Very well said....

Spyder Garage

Question

Some " experts" just like to hear themselves talk. I know one----- and just politely walk away when his attention is distracted.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    And...it did not start a gunfight.
    Always a plus! And.....................you did handle it well!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I thought it annoyed the pig and got you dirty. But I guess that would be about the same.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Languages

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The guy from Italy had never seen one? On facebook there are quite a few friends requests that I get from Europe. They post a lot of pics of
    spyder events over there but I just cant understand what they are saying.
    Get the Google Translate app on your phone and/or your computer. You can choose the language you want to translate to English and just copy and paste. In 2012, I went to my grandparents' home town in southern Italy, I spoke English, they did not! If I did not have Google translate on my phone, I (and they) would have been at a loss for the 5 days that I was there. I swear by it!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

I thought it annoyed the pig and got you dirty. But I guess that would be about the same.
    Yes, I've heard it that way too, also instead of dancing it was singing.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017