Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I went one better and dropped the fronts to 19. Tried it out for 35 miles and it does seem to help make the overall ride smoother.

Thanks!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you are buying front tires, the Vredestein makes two sizes that will fit the 15" wheel ..... They have very, high performance numbers ..... The Tire Rack has them and will ship this tire to you for FREE , which makes them very attractive from a price standpoint ......... A few here have tried them and liked them a lot ..... Mike
    Mike,
    Which Vredestein tire do you recommend for an F3T?
    Jeff

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VREDESTEIN TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Mike,
    Which Vredestein tire do you recommend for an F3T?
    Jeff
    I hate getting OLD .......... It's their Quatrac 5 model .... there are two 15" sizes that will fit - your choice ..... they have really good performance numbers, may be the best available currently .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default RIDE HEIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I think you're fronts are high and that will make the tires hard. I run 18-20 in the front to make them softer. I did try a higher pressure a couple of years ago and remember some of what you're describing - a sort of 'bobbling' at the front as the tires were bouncing a lot. Caused a lot of handlebar movement that I had to control.

My advice - drop the fronts to 20 and try it then. Be aware though it does drop the ride height a bit so the nose might start catching the ground where it didn't before.
    MBM - the actual ride height drop for that air pressure change will be approx. 3mm....IMHO He does not have to be concerned ........and I'm 99% sure that at 15psi His ride will be really nice ( and safe ) ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Rear?

I hate getting OLD .......... It's their Quatrac 5 model .... there are two 15" sizes that will fit - your choice ..... they have really good performance numbers, may be the best available currently .... Mike
    Will this one work for the rear?
    Quatrac 5 - Size: 205/65R15

Do you know anyone that has these on all 3 wheels??
    Thanks...

Spyder Garage

Default WILL 205/65 FIT

Will this one work for the rear?
    Quatrac 5 - Size: 205/65R15

Do you know anyone that has these on all 3 wheels??
    Thanks...
    I hadn't given that one any thought, but I'll check the numbers for US ... stay tuned .........PS I think Peter Aawen or Peteoz . runs a 65 aspect tire ...... Mike . OK I did some research on this size ..... I used the Altimax RT43 for comparision because they have a number of tires exactly and similar in size ..... The Quatrac 5 in 205/65-15 is only a Hair different than the Altimax in 215/60-15 and we all know that Altimax FITS all Spyders ...... So my answer would be ..go for it.....the actual width difference between a 205 & 215 might be 1/4 inch ......hope this helps ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-11-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That’s opposite to what I have actually experienced, Easy Rider.....I have to ride over a 10km, potholed, secondary road to go anywhere from home. My Kuhmos, running at around 18-20 psi, feel definitely softer than the Kendas did at 18 and 26. .....

Pete
    Good report.
    Just picking any old brand/model of tire I doubt that would be the case.
    This might be just what he needs.

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein

BK what are the sizes you are referring to, I can only see 175-55-15 on the tire rack site.

If you are buying front tires, the Vredestein makes two sizes that will fit the 15" wheel ..... They have very, high performance numbers ..... The Tire Rack has them and will ship this tire to you for FREE , which makes them very attractive from a price standpoint ......... A few here have tried them and liked them a lot ..... Mike ....PS, the tire is the Quatrac 5 model .... pick your width

Spyder Garage

I hadn't given that one any thought, but I'll check the numbers for US ... stay tuned .........PS I think Peter Aawen or Peteoz . runs a 65 aspect tire ...... Mike . OK I did some research on this size ..... I used the Altimax RT43 for comparision because they have a number of tires exactly and similar in size ..... The Quatrac 5 in 205/65-15 is only a Hair different than the Altimax in 215/60-15 and we all know that Altimax FITS all Spyders ...... So my answer would be ..go for it.....the actual width difference between a 205 & 215 might be 1/4 inch ......hope this helps ..... Mike
    Mike, I sent this to Peter as well..I value both of your opinions and trying to figure this out.

I found that Vredestein also produces a 205/60R15 91H or 91V What do you think of these choices? How will they affect the speedometer and odometer and Nanny?
    For the fronts I found 165/65R 81T and 165/60 R15 77 H. Should I match up the 60s ? Your thoughts on this combo?
    Thanks again for all your input!! Jeff

Spyder Garage

Does anyone use runflat tires ,had one on the rear off the Wing worked good ,but never had a flat. But just felt safer with it on.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Good report.
    Just picking any old brand/model of tire I doubt that would be the case.
    This might be just what he needs.
    Yeah, but it wasn’t any kind of scientific data on my part, Easy Rider, just seat of the pants stuff.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

One thing I will throw out here, is that when I installed my Kuhmo KH17 175x60 fronts, my speedo trued up. It now matches my GPS speed perfectly. This was BEFORE I had installed my Kuhmo rear. Peter A couldn’t understand this, which caused a lot of self doubt, but after checking everything again, there is no question that the install of those size fronts, definitely trued up my speedo.

......and the install of a KU22 205/55 rear, did not alter it .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT FLAVOR - VREDESTEIN

Mike, I sent this to Peter as well..I value both of your opinions and trying to figure this out.

I found that Vredestein also produces a 205/60R15 91H or 91V What do you think of these choices? How will they affect the speedometer and odometer and Nanny?
    For the fronts I found 165/65R 81T and 165/60 R15 77 H. Should I match up the 60s ? Your thoughts on this combo?
    Thanks again for all your input!! Jeff
    PM sent ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Immediate difference.

This is all subjective based on the car tire you choose... but with the right car tires I've:

Had way better dry traction front and back
    Had way better wet traction front and back
    Had way better standing water performance front and back

The Kumho that I tried on the rear of my GS lasted 11k miles - about 1k more than the OEM Kendas. The Kuhmo was a fine touring tire, but overall it's dry and wet performance was pretty bad. Only benefit of the Kumho for me was even tread wear across the entire tire width.

On the GS fronts the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92's were absolutely awesome.
    On the GS the best rear I had was the Toyo Proxes 4 (no longer made). That tire was super sticky in the dry and it's wet and rain performance was incredible. Between a nail in one Toyo and selling the GS I never figured out what miles I could get to with the Toyo (on the GS)

On the F3-S I switched to the Federal Evos for the fronts. Did it early. Bit stickier than stock and better in the rain. I switched out the Kenda fronts at 4500 miles and to be honest I would have been ok keeping the OEM fronts, but decided to switch early.

On the F3-S rear I have once again a Toyo Proxes 4. My OEM Kenda was ready for replacement near 4500 miles. After 5500 on this current Toyo it looks like I might make 8k miles before needing a new rear. So I'm not getting great mileage out of the rears on the F3. I chalk that up to riding style. My Spyder doesn't do low heat around town puttering. When I ride I'm out for 8+ hours a day of riding twisties with hard braking and acceleration. No burnouts other than some wheel slip now and then.

Best advice? Any car tire is going to perform better than the Kendas and wear evenly. You may or may not get more miles out of the rear specifically. The Kumho is fine for many, but I suggest spending the extra $ on something better like the Yokohama s drive 205/50R15. It may even be in the same price range but people seem far happier with the Yokohama than the Kumho.

As for air pressure I'll only say you will find lots of opinions and a lot of apparent tire experts here. Yes the Spyder is lighter than a car and thus the tires aren't even pushing their load ratings. I've run 20-22 PSI on the fronts for thousands of miles with no issues and anywhere from 28-30 on the rear with no issues. You go too low of a PSI and the tire may create too much heat via sidewall flex and may break a bead in an abrupt swerve. Some here suggest some very low PSI in the tires.... "Tread" carefully... Get it?

I buy mine for performance and not price and not the miles I get out of them. True, I wish the tires would last longer on my F3-S but that is probably my fault more than anything else. Just remember that at some point after your 2nd or 3rd rear tire you should have your rear bearings inspected and potentially replaced.

I will be mounting my last Toyo Proxes 4 this summer at some point... I really wish they still made that tire.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default LOW PSI

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Immediate difference.

This is all subjective based on the car tire you choose... but with the right car tires I've:

Had way better dry traction front and back
    Had way better wet traction front and back
    Had way better standing water performance front and back

The Kumho that I tried on the rear of my GS lasted 11k miles - about 1k more than the OEM Kendas. The Kuhmo was a fine touring tire, but overall it's dry and wet performance was pretty bad. Only benefit of the Kumho for me was even tread wear across the entire tire width.

On the GS the best rear I had was the Toyo Proxes 4 (no longer made). That tire was super sticky in the dry and it's wet and rain performance was incredible. Between a nail in one Toyo and selling the GS I never figured out what miles I could get to with the Toyo (on the GS)

On the F3-S I switched to the Federal Evos for the fronts. Did it early. Bit stickier than stock and better in the rain. I switched out the Kenda fronts at 4500 miles and to be honest I would have been ok keeping the OEM fronts, but decided to switch early.

On the F3-S rear I have once again a Toyo Proxes 4. My OEM Kenda was ready for replacement near 4500 miles. After 5500 on this current Toyo it looks like I might make 8k miles before needing a new rear. So I'm not getting great mileage out of the rears on the F3. I chalk that up to riding style. My Spyder doesn't do low heat around town puttering. When I ride I'm out for 8+ hours a day of riding twisties with hard braking and acceleration. No burnouts other than some wheel slip now and then.

Best advice? Any car tire is going to perform better than the Kendas and wear evenly. You may or may not get more miles out of the rear specifically. The Kumho is fine for many, but I suggest spending the extra $ on something better like the Yokohama s drive 205/50R15. It may even be in the same price range but people seem far happier with the Yokohama than the Kumho.

As for air pressure I'll only say you will find lots of opinions and a lot of apparent tire experts here. Yes the Spyder is lighter than a car and thus the tires aren't even pushing their load ratings. I've run 20-22 PSI on the fronts for thousands of miles with no issues and anywhere from 28-30 on the rear with no issues. You go too low of a PSI and the tire may create too much heat via sidewall flex and may break a bead in an abrupt swerve. Some here suggest some very low PSI in the tires.... "Tread" carefully... Get it?

I buy mine for performance and not price and not the miles I get out of them. True, I wish the tires would last longer on my F3-S but that is probably my fault more than anything else. Just remember that at some point after your 2nd or 3rd rear tire you should have your rear bearings inspected and potentially replaced.

I will be mounting my last Toyo Proxes 4 this summer at some point... I really wish they still made that tire.
    Dan, in all the Car tires I have used ( for the rear ) ...they have been in 16 to 18 PSI range ....well over 100,000 miles of riding ...... I have never had a tire even SLIP on the Rim let alone break a BEAD ....Over-inflating a Car tire ( for the Spyders weight ) is #1. - giving you less traction ...and #2. - a punishing ride..... This is tire Science not " what someones Butt told them " ...... To ALL those tire Science doubters just try this ..... On your Spyder , deflate a tire to about 5 psi ( this won't break the Bead on a parked machine ) ... now start IN-FLATING it, you can Actually see the tire FOOTPRINT getting smaller ....this begs the question - How can a smaller Footprint give better traction - Answer IT CAN'T..............and if you think it CAN - then you should " PROVE IT " ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Dan, in all the Car tires I have used ( for the rear ) ...they have been in 16 to 18 PSI range ....well over 100,000 miles of riding ...... I have never had a tire even SLIP on the Rim let alone break a BEAD ....Over-inflating a Car tire ( for the Spyders weight ) is #1. - giving you less traction ...and #2. - a punishing ride..... This is tire Science not " what someones Butt told them " ...... To ALL those tire Science doubters just try this ..... On your Spyder , deflate a tire to about 5 psi ( this won't break the Bead on a parked machine ) ... now start IN-FLATING it, you can Actually see the tire FOOTPRINT getting smaller ....this begs the question - How can a smaller Footprint give better traction - Answer IT CAN'T..............and if you think it CAN - then you should " PROVE IT " ........ Mike
    Prove what? What exactly are you asking me?

The answer is simple. At the same tire pressure the car tire will out perform stock kendas. You want to go lower fine, that is choice. I don't know how you ride Mike. I've met a lot of people that say they ride their spyder hard and then end up riding with them and find out their own perception of their riding style is not anywhere near reality. I've seen some people here suggest some pretty low psi numbers which quite frankly probably weren't safe for all riders and situations.

I'm well aware of what air pressure does for tires. I run my rock crawler at 3-5 psi per tire for traction, but I have dual beadlocks.

Again... not here to get in an internet pissing match.
    Last edited by WackyDan; 06-13-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

• Had way better dry traction front and back
    • Had way better wet traction front and back
    • Had way better standing water performance front and back

Thanks for sharing this info and perspective.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default NOT - a pissing match

Prove what? What exactly are you asking me?

The answer is simple. At the same tire pressure the car tire will out perform stock kendas. You want to go lower fine, that is choice. I don't know how you ride Mike. I've met a lot of people that say they ride their spyder hard and then end up riding with them and find out their own perception of their riding style is not anywhere near reality. I've seen some people here suggest some pretty low psi numbers which quite frankly probably weren't safe for all riders and situations.

I'm well aware of what air pressure does for tires. I run my rock crawler at 3-5 psi per tire for traction, but I have dual beadlocks.

Dan I WASN'T asking ...YOU ...to prove anything AND I wasn't asking YOU ( personally ) .....anything .... the - " and if you think it can - then you should " PROVE It " ...the you here was generic for all the Science doubters that are extremely vocal and negative about Science ......... So you pretty much mis-understood what I was trying to convey .......... When / if I decide to have a fight - I rarely start out by HELPING that person , which is what I was trying to do for You !!!!! ............... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-13-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i use vredstein quatrac on my '13 rt-s and they are very good tires in quality and performance

Spyder Garage

Default Sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i use vredstein quatrac on my '13 rt-s and they are very good tires in quality and performance
    Can you provide the size for front and back and how many miles you have on them. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, but it wasn’t any kind of scientific data on my part, Easy Rider, just seat of the pants stuff.
    Sometimes that is better, sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes people "know" scientific data but don't understand how to use it correctly.

Sometimes they make stuff up and CALL it science.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He is still pissing about my statement that a smaller contact patch will have less tendency TO HYDROPLANE.
    I did NOT say it was better for overall traction.....in any conditions.
    Yet he continues to chase ghosts.

Spyder Garage

I run 25psi up front and 28psi in the back. Ride every day and experimented countless times, and measured heat signatures.

I personally do not like the soft shoe feel of 20psi, and 15psi was like a wet sock trying to just turn in my driveway. Just not for me and others that I know.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I run 25psi up front and 28psi in the back. Ride every day and experimented countless times, and measured heat signatures.

I personally do not like the soft shoe feel of 20psi, and 15psi was like a wet sock trying to just turn in my driveway. Just not for me and others that I know.

Curiosity, but did you track and measure the heat differentials at differing inflation figures?

Many people actively advocate for lower inflation figures, but have not posted any temperatures. That's the biggest potential problem with under inflating the tires is heat build up. The old rule of thumb was to measure the temperature of the tire when cold and then when run up. If there's more than 2-3 psi difference, then you're under inflated.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Curiosity, but did you track and measure the heat differentials at differing inflation figures?

Many people actively advocate for lower inflation figures, but have not posted any temperatures. That's the biggest potential problem with under inflating the tires is heat build up. The old rule of thumb was to measure the temperature of the tire when cold and then when run up. If there's more than 2-3 psi difference, then you're under inflated.
    Yes, I did. Discussed my findings, and the low pressure police wouldn't have any of it.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black