Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Funnily enough, dropping your tire pressures a little often DOES help reduce hydroplaning, because it doesn't usually make the contact patch much WIDER, it generally makes that contact patch proportionally LONGER - and in doing so allows the sipes & grooves in the tread to move a little as they flex onto the road surface,, gripping the road like little fingers, as well as effectively PUMPING the water away from the contact patch, and in doing this it also lessens the wedge of water created in front of the tire that is what lifts the contact patch & creates the hydroplaning problem in the first place!!

But it is a fairly fine line, tire pressure that's too high makes the tire unable to flex so it can't act as a pump or reach optimum operating temps, so it's like running on a railway wheel.... fine while you are going slow enough, but they'll always give an awful rough ride, and once you get going faster, it gives you all the drawbacks of an ice skate on polished concrete & none of the benefits!! Plus it only lets the tread pattern grooves move water away from the contact patch - none or very little gets moved by the smaller sipes; the tread compound itself is too cold & hard to do any 'gripping'; the sipes don't open as the tread flexes onto the contact patch so it doesn't do any of the 'pumping action' that the tread is designed to create; and the compound itself is either too cold & hard to grab (cos the tire hasn't flexed enough to warm up) or it's too hot & runny & floppy as it approaches delamination temps!!

Then there's the little window which is the optimum pressure for the load that Mike & I spend so much time talking about, where both the tread pattern and the tread compound get to work as they were designed under the load placed upon them and btw, once you are running aftermarket tires, those optimum pressures generally have little to do with the vehicle manufacturers 'recommended pressures' for the OE Spec tires, simply because they are mainly TIRE & LOAD dependant, varied a little by riding style & ambient temps etc, but definitely not aimed at selling more vehicles or OE Spec tires. The tread grooves start moving water away from the contact patch as the tire rolls onto the road; the smaller channels & sipes open as the tread flexes down onto the road & then start to close as they pass thru the contact patch, initially collecting & grabbing water & then forcing it out to the sides of the tire as they close, acting like little pumps to move more water away from the contact patch; and at the same time they are acting as sticky fingers grabbing onto the road surface & hanging on because they are hot & sticky without being too hot to be virtually useless &/or runny/delaminating!!

And then you can get pressures that are too low, generally down so low that the tire might have difficulties staying on the rim. This is where lowering the pressure starts making the contact patch wider more than it makes it longer, and it is pretty low for most aftermarket tires carrying the fairly light load imposed by our Spyders.... think about even lower than about 8psi, down in that vicinity, but if you do the 'ink test' on the contact patch (use a small puddle of water on an otherwise dry road instead of ink & paper tho, it's easier to source, do, and clean up! ) you'll see very quickly when the contact patch width stastaincreasesr ts to increase proportionally MORE than its length increases as the pressures drop & you lower the tire under its load onto a dry surface.... you really don't want to be fown there, cos the tire CAN roll off the rim, the centre of the tread/contact patch starts to bow up & in, lifting off the road surface & allowing even more water to collect in there, the outside edge of the tread becomes the only bits left touching the road surface, massively reducing the contact patch area & minimising grip & the ability of the tread to move water out of the way, and basically becoming almost as dangerous as running pressures that are too high!!

So in a nutshell, tire pressures that are too high are dangerous; tire pressures that are too low are dangerous; & the 'just right' tire pressures that Mike & I bang on so much about are as safe as you'll get, JUST SO LONG AS YOU DROP YOUR SPEED to be SLOW ENOUGH BEFORE YOU HIT THE WATER!!

Someone said it earlier, ! I'll paraphrase it here - the best preventative action against hydroplaning you can take is less twist in that right wrist....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Funnily enough, dropping your tire pressures a little often DOES help reduce hydroplaning, because it doesn't usually make the contact patch much WIDER, it generally makes that contact patch proportionally LONGER - and in doing so allows the sipes & grooves in the tread to move a little as they flex onto the road surface,, gripping the road like little fingers, as well as effectively PUMPING the water away from the contact patch, and in doing this it also lessens the wedge of water created in front of the tire that is what lifts the contact patch & creates the hydroplaning problem in the first place!!

Then there's the little window which is the optimum pressure for the load that Mike & I spend so much time talking about, where both the tread pattern and the tread compound get to work as they were designed under the load placed upon them and btw, once you are running aftermarket tires, those optimum pressures generally have little to do with the vehicle manufacturers 'recommended pressures' for the OE Spec tires, simply because they are mainly TIRE & LOAD dependant,

And then you can get pressures that are too low, generally down so low that the tire might have difficulties staying on the rim. This is where lowering the pressure starts making the contact patch wider more than it makes it longer, and it is pretty low for most aftermarket tires carrying the fairly light load imposed by our Spyders.... think about even lower than about 8psi, down in that vicinity,

So in a nutshell, tire pressures that are too high are dangerous; tire pressures that are too low are dangerous; & the 'just right' tire pressures that Mike & I bang on so much about are as safe as you'll get, JUST SO LONG AS YOU DROP YOUR SPEED to be SLOW ENOUGH BEFORE YOU HIT THE WATER!!

Someone said it earlier, ! I'll paraphrase it here - the best preventative action against hydroplaning you can take is less twist in that right wrist....
    Thanks, Peter, I was hoping you would weigh in on this. Very valuable insight. Mike has been saying the same thing, I'm sure, but it can be a little difficult to understand his posts at times.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Peter

So your research shows that a lower psi can help in the wet (and dry), but nothing is going to save you if you are travelling too fast and hit standing water....that’ll do me

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good answer, Peter!
    Another factor if you are running aftermarket tires on a Spyder to consider is that the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures are based upon a great deal more weight than the Spyder has, so running a slightly lower pressure should improve the gripping and water dispersion. The tricky part is that that pressure is going to vary by multiple factors; weight of the byke (RT vs F3), what kind of load (one or two up), ryding style, and others I have missed. I think we each need to find that ideal tire pressure if we are running aftermarket tires.
    I will give you a perfect example: Our RT and F3 have identical tires, front and back, (Federal EVO's on the front and Michelin Hydroedge on the rear). The RT has 40k miles on the rear tire and the F3 has about 12k. When there is any rain or the road is wet, the F3 is prone to spin in the first three gears. Whereas the RT will hardly spin a tire. I am extremely careful when ryding the F3 in wet conditions. I would probably not ryde it on the interstate at freeway speeds in much rain. The byke is just too light to ryde in heavy rain, regardless of tire pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

But it is a fairly fine line, tire pressure that's too high makes the tire unable to flex so it can't act as a pump or reach optimum operating temps, so it's like running on a railway wheel.... fine while you are going slow enough, but they'll always give an awful rough ride, and once you get going faster, it gives you all the drawbacks of an ice skate on polished concrete & none of the benefits!! Plus it only lets the tread pattern grooves move water away from the contact patch - none or very little gets moved by the smaller sipes; the tread compound itself is too cold & hard to do any 'gripping'; the sipes don't open as the tread flexes onto the contact patch so it doesn't do any of the 'pumping action' that the tread is designed to create; and the compound itself is either too cold & hard to grab (cos the tire hasn't flexed enough to warm up) or it's too hot & runny & floppy as it approaches delamination temps!!

Then there's the little window which is the optimum pressure for the load that Mike & I spend so much time talking about, where both the tread pattern and the tread compound get to work as they were designed under the load placed upon them and btw, once you are running aftermarket tires, those optimum pressures generally have little to do with the vehicle manufacturers 'recommended pressures' for the OE Spec tires, simply because they are mainly TIRE & LOAD dependant, varied a little by riding style & ambient temps etc, but definitely not aimed at selling more vehicles or OE Spec tires. The tread grooves start moving water away from the contact patch as the tire rolls onto the road; the smaller channels & sipes open as the tread flexes down onto the road & then start to close as they pass thru the contact patch, initially collecting & grabbing water & then forcing it out to the sides of the tire as they close, acting like little pumps to move more water away from the contact patch; and at the same time they are acting as sticky fingers grabbing onto the road surface & hanging on because they are hot & sticky without being too hot to be virtually useless &/or runny/delaminating!!

And then you can get pressures that are too low, generally down so low that the tire might have difficulties staying on the rim. This is where lowering the pressure starts making the contact patch wider more than it makes it longer, and it is pretty low for most aftermarket tires carrying the fairly light load imposed by our Spyders.... think about even lower than about 8psi, down in that vicinity, but if you do the 'ink test' on the contact patch (use a small puddle of water on an otherwise dry road instead of ink & paper tho, it's easier to source, do, and clean up! ) you'll see very quickly when the contact patch width stastaincreasesr ts to increase proportionally MORE than its length increases as the pressures drop & you lower the tire under its load onto a dry surface.... you really don't want to be fown there, cos the tire CAN roll off the rim, the centre of the tread/contact patch starts to bow up & in, lifting off the road surface & allowing even more water to collect in there, the outside edge of the tread becomes the only bits left touching the road surface, massively reducing the contact patch area & minimising grip & the ability of the tread to move water out of the way, and basically becoming almost as dangerous as running pressures that are too high!!

​Wow, those be a lot of words Peter. Sorry I just cannot trust anyone whose country is hanging upside down and eats "Bangers and Mash"!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ​Wow, those be a lot of words Peter. Sorry I just cannot trust anyone whose country is hanging upside down and eats "Bangers and Mash"!

​Jack
    Hahaha....we got bangers and mash from the Brits, Jack.......

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Good luck Chuck, I hope you recover fast. The end of Ramg66 lasted 25 years (Motorcycle accident), and now I am riding a Spyder and I feel safer on it, but 25 years is a long time and I regret it big time. Having the time of my life now.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

lets remember this thread was for our concern for chuck. i think we lost sight of the pain a
    friend and fellow rider is going through. we wish you all the best and hope you keep us updated.
    we are expecting a great outcome for you and yours.--irv and joyce.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You are absolutely right.....

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    lets remember this thread was for our concern for chuck. i think we lost sight of the pain a
    friend and fellow rider is going through. we wish you all the best and hope you keep us updated.
    we are expecting a great outcome for you and yours.--irv and joyce.
    Boy, didn't this post take a left turn and I got sucked right up in it. Lot of good info but it seems like Chuck got left out in the cold somewhere along the line. My best wishes for Chuck in a short 100% recovery and hope he'll mend well and be back on the road sooner rather then later. Get well Chuck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hope your not in pain and that you have a speedy and complete recovery. Where as some here will deride you for poor driving------- lets just hope that you are ok and get back in the saddle when you're up to it.

Having arrived home after a 2,000+ mile, 3 week trip---- we did hit some bad conditions. In the middle of nowhere Nevada, on a 2 lane road with a not usable shoulder and no shelter for miles------ we drove into a heavy HAIL storm. Couldn't pull over and just had to keep going, abet much slower. Even the big rigs has to slow some. Sometimes you can't avoid the water on the road.

Again, hope you have a complete recovery.

Lew L
    I had a similar experience as Chuck, a couple weeks ago. Following my wife, on her Spyder, and me on my Spyder, hit a puddle in heavy rain, started sideways, corrected, then re-corrected and finally got it straight again, while holding on tight for dear life to stay on my Spyder that stayed upright and on the road. I had not slowed my speed for the rain or the puddle.
    I RE-learned a lesson from my past, don't hit puddles at speed in my SUV, AND especially not on a 1,000 lb bike, because I am going to hydroplane! My wife had slowed and had no problem (she was smarter than me), while I was scrambling to miss hitting hitting HER! Fortunately I was far enough back and we didn't make contact. I will be slowing down in the rain and thinking about puddles for the future!
    OJ

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Default The DELAY of Chuck.

I am overwhelmed with best hopes and wishes from you on my thread. Thank all of you so much.
    It's really got me to thinking, maybe there's light ahead.
    Many doctor visits and rehab have me moving well, very well I might add. Without my walker,
    but I still use it outside for balance.
    Now about my tires. Here I get an "F". As in failure. I replaced my front tires early this year. I was
    using Kumho Solus 155/60/15. I really liked these tires and got great mileage from them. I used 2 sets
    and both had over 46,000 miles on them. They never even wore to the wear bars. But the edges were
    bald. MY friend Joe, Buckeye Bleau sold me on a set of Federal Formoza's in the OEM size. These still
    look new after 10,000 miles. No problems here.
    But that rear tire.... I've used the General Alitmax 215/60/15 the last 2 tires. Great tire if you keep watching them.
    I rode to Spyderfest with Joe and rode with Mike Blue Knight and Andy from Florida. My thinking was I'd change
    to a new rear when I got back. But somebody was snoozing. I got home and my General had near 22,000
    on it. I can go a little longer. But I went 7,000 miles longer. These tires, in the center, when worn can read
    "REPLACE". Well the REPLACE was not there. A good sign is the tire wore even across the tread.A new tire is on order.
    My original thread started a lot of talk about tires, lots of opinions. Peter from Australia even long winded, always
    has something wise to say. It seems he's been around. Mike the Blue Knight is probably the most opinionated. HE's right on many things on tires. Mike and Peter agree on much the same thing. But one of them can go to extremes. Entertaining,
    to say the least. It's what I like about this forum. The reader can take what they want and toss out the rest.

I've been running 20 PSI in all 3 of my tires but will drop to 18 when I get better.
    There's a Spyder gathering here in Zanesville this weekend. I won't be able to go on my bike. IT's hard to strap my helmet on with a neck brace. I might make a short appearance in my cage just to see what's there. If anybody reading this
    wants to meet me I'll be wearing my traditional jeans and suspenders, and of course my walker. I know there
    are many I want to meet as well. One more thing on this, my old helmet even worm, old and smelly, saved me. THere are scratches front to back, side to side. It's retired now. It's all your choice to wear one or not. I've worn one since my start delivering newspapers in 1966. My parents wouldn't allow me riding without one.

So Spyderlovers all over, you are all an inspiration. Thank all of you! My limits are to be seen and it's not likely I'll have any more 48,000 mile years, certainly not this one. But I'll be back.
    And with NEW TIRES!!

Buckeye Chuck 54

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    Some may know of my love ryding my 2014 RT-S, it's been my life for the last 3 years
    and 358 days. While ryding in the rain on May 30 I spotted a water puddle just ahead.
    I've ridden over puddles before and never felt hydroplaning. I passed over this one and
    went into an uncontrollable spin at 65 mph. My bike spit me off. I recall hitting the asphalt
    and contorting in a way the human body isn't supposed to. I was awake during this whole
    episode. Quickly I was assisted by several passersby. I tried to stand up to no avail.
    I was able to sit up, and a mere 50 feet away was my Pearl White RT-S, sitting straight up
    and idling, seemingly mocking me. No damage, none.
    I won't go onto my injuries, suffice to say I am still breathing. Will be homebound for months.
    So Spyderlovers, after 157,428 miles it pains me to say, I've had enough.
    People who know me think I'll be back. I know I'll try. just can'e see it.
    Been ryding since I was 11 years old. Ridden 25 different motorcycles and by my calculations
    covered well over 1.2 million miles. It's been fun. This Spyder was the most fun of any cycle I've
    ever ridden.
    I'll check into SL.com from time to time, maybe.
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Spyder Garage

Default get well soon...

as a brand new rider, at age 61, with 67 miles under my belt, I am both alarmed at your accident, and heartened by the million miles of otherwise safe miles you accrued--godspeed in your recovery

Some may know of my love ryding my 2014 RT-S, it's been my life for the last 3 years
    and 358 days. While ryding in the rain on May 30 I spotted a water puddle just ahead.
    I've ridden over puddles before and never felt hydroplaning. I passed over this one and
    went into an uncontrollable spin at 65 mph. My bike spit me off. I recall hitting the asphalt
    and contorting in a way the human body isn't supposed to. I was awake during this whole
    episode. Quickly I was assisted by several passersby. I tried to stand up to no avail.
    I was able to sit up, and a mere 50 feet away was my Pearl White RT-S, sitting straight up
    and idling, seemingly mocking me. No damage, none.
    I won't go onto my injuries, suffice to say I am still breathing. Will be homebound for months.
    So Spyderlovers, after 157,428 miles it pains me to say, I've had enough.
    People who know me think I'll be back. I know I'll try. just can'e see it.
    Been ryding since I was 11 years old. Ridden 25 different motorcycles and by my calculations
    covered well over 1.2 million miles. It's been fun. This Spyder was the most fun of any cycle I've
    ever ridden.
    I'll check into SL.com from time to time, maybe.
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Spyder Garage

Default Glad to hear you're up and about Chuck - Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery

I have felt some hydroplaning on occasion and have been fortunate to avoid a major mishap. We all need a little luck to go along with the risk of our hobbies. I appreciate your honest reminder and details of the accident as we all can use some reflection and reminders to try to keep the Gremlins at bay. I just replaced my Kumho and still had some tread left, but I have been known to wear the middle bald as well. Likewise I have some new Solus' on the front that should roll well for a while on my 15 RT.

Hope your Bell keeps working for you and thanks for the Update
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am overwhelmed with best hopes and wishes from you on my thread. Thank all of you so much. It's really got me to thinking, maybe there's light ahead. Many doctor visits and rehab have me moving well, very well I might add. Without my walker, but I still use it outside for balance.

Now about my tires. Here I get an "F". As in failure. I replaced my front tires early this year. I was using Kumho Solus 155/60/15. I really liked these tires and got great mileage from them. I used 2 sets and both had over 46,000 miles on them. They never even wore to the wear bars. But the edges were bald. MY friend Joe, Buckeye Bleau sold me on a set of Federal Formoza's in the OEM size. These still look new after 10,000 miles. No problems here.

But that rear tire.... I've used the General Alitmax 215/60/15 the last 2 tires. Great tire if you keep watching them. I rode to Spyderfest with Joe and rode with Mike Blue Knight and Andy from Florida. My thinking was I'd change to a new rear when I got back. But somebody was snoozing. I got home and my General had near 22,000 on it. I can go a little longer. But I went 7,000 miles longer. These tires, in the center, when worn can read "REPLACE". Well the REPLACE was not there. A good sign is the tire wore even across the tread. A new tire is on order.

My original thread started a lot of talk about tires, lots of opinions. Peter from Australia even long winded, always has something wise to say. It seems he's been around. Mike the Blue Knight is probably the most opinionated. HE's right on many things on tires. Mike and Peter agree on much the same thing. But one of them can go to extremes. Entertaining, to say the least. It's what I like about this forum. The reader can take what they want and toss out the rest.

I've been running 20 PSI in all 3 of my tires but will drop to 18 when I get better.

So Spyderlovers all over, you are all an inspiration. Thank all of you! My limits are to be seen and it's not likely I'll have any more 48,000 mile years, certainly not this one. But I'll be back. And with NEW TIRES!!

Buckeye Chuck 54 #4036
    Chuck, good to hear you're not giving up. Sure appreciate the feedback about the tires. It's one thing to stretch out the life of them; another to recognize when they're getting to the point of unsafe.

I get you and Buckeye Bleau confused. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-11-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Sounding better...

I am overwhelmed with best hopes and wishes from you on my thread. Thank all of you so much.
    It's really got me to thinking, maybe there's light ahead.
    Many doctor visits and rehab have me moving well, very well I might add. Without my walker,
    but I still use it outside for balance.
    Now about my tires. Here I get an "F". As in failure. I replaced my front tires early this year. I was
    using Kumho Solus 155/60/15. I really liked these tires and got great mileage from them. I used 2 sets
    and both had over 46,000 miles on them. They never even wore to the wear bars. But the edges were
    bald. MY friend Joe, Buckeye Bleau sold me on a set of Federal Formoza's in the OEM size. These still
    look new after 10,000 miles. No problems here.
    But that rear tire.... I've used the General Alitmax 215/60/15 the last 2 tires. Great tire if you keep watching them.
    I rode to Spyderfest with Joe and rode with Mike Blue Knight and Andy from Florida. My thinking was I'd change
    to a new rear when I got back. But somebody was snoozing. I got home and my General had near 22,000
    on it. I can go a little longer. But I went 7,000 miles longer. These tires, in the center, when worn can read
    "REPLACE". Well the REPLACE was not there. A good sign is the tire wore even across the tread.A new tire is on order.

My original thread started a lot of talk about tires, lots of opinions. Peter from Australia even long winded, always
    has something wise to say. It seems he's been around. Mike the Blue Knight is probably the most opinionated. HE's right on many things on tires. Mike and Peter agree on much the same thing. But one of them can go to extremes. Entertaining,
    to say the least. It's what I like about this forum. The reader can take what they want and toss out the rest.

There's a Spyder gathering here in Zanesville this weekend. I won't be able to go on my bike. IT's hard to strap my helmet on with a neck brace. I might make a short appearance in my cage just to see what's there. If anybody reading this
    wants to meet me I'll be wearing my traditional jeans and suspenders, and of course my walker. I know there
    are many I want to meet as well. One more thing on this, my old helmet even worm, old and smelly, saved me. THere are scratches front to back, side to side. It's retired now. It's all your choice to wear one or not. I've worn one since my start delivering newspapers in 1966. My parents wouldn't allow me riding without one.

So Spyderlovers all over, you are all an inspiration. Thank all of you! My limits are to be seen and it's not likely I'll have any more 48,000 mile years, certainly not this one. But I'll be back.
    And with NEW TIRES!!

Buckeye Chuck 54

Chuck, Although our paths have not crossed, I'm glad you can see a light at the end of the tunnel, that is both promising
    and encouraging. I also want to wish you a speedy recovery and truly believe this forum and all the well intended folks will help
    you get through this trying period. Your continued input is both medicinal for you and quite beneficial for the rest of us!
    Please keep posting!!!
    Kindest Regards, Jeff

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now THAT's more like it, Chuck!! You'll be back on in no time!

And, I might be able to work you a deal on a walker carrier, if needed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

​Jack
    Actually it was the vegemite that got me. Still I think it’s great that there are Aussies on this board. I’d love to see Australia again, this time on a Spyder.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Chuck, thanks for your latest post. Your vast experience and hindsight about going too far on a tire, as well as helmets are important bookmarks for all of us. It is good to see your upbeat demeanor. God's speed with your recovery
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Pete

Something I should have said earlier about my accident.
    I said I was going 65 at the time. Well that can't be right.
    I turned left onto a 4 lane highway off a 2 lane. From there
    it's half mile all uphill to where it happened. I would have
    been traveling closer to 55. This 4 lane road is notorious for
    flat pavement, water can't run off. But it's still not smart ryding
    at even 55 with a worn tire with puddles all over.
    The speed limit is 70 here.

I've received a lot of encouragement and good wishes on my thread.
    And I really appreciate it. And I've received lots of criticism too.
    I appreciate both. My episode hopefully will remind other ryders to
    run with good rubber and take it easy on wet roads. You'd think I
    should know better. I needed a reminder.

Joe, Buckeye Bleau and I rode to and back from Spyderfest. Within 100
    miles from Springfield we ran into rain. It wasn't hard rain, just enough
    to wet the road. But we slowed to 55.
    This is Joe's first open air vehicle he's ever owned. Not even any kind
    of motorcycle. It amazes me how well he rydes it. I should know better.

Don't apologize for confusing him and I. I consider it a compliment.

I'm planning my next / first ryde. I did break 2 fingers on my left hand.
    I see the doctor next Friday where I'll see how it's healing. My last visit
    he said I'd be rehabbing squeezing a tennis ball. Wouldn't a left handlebar
    grip work just as well?

Buckeye Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Chuck, good to hear you're not giving up. Sure appreciate the feedback about the tires. It's one thing to stretch out the life of them; another to recognize when they're getting to the point of unsafe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something I should have said earlier about my accident. I said I was going 65 at the time. Well that can't be right. I turned left onto a 4 lane highway off a 2 lane. From there it's half mile all uphill to where it happened. I would have been traveling closer to 55. This 4 lane road is notorious for flat pavement, water can't run off. But it's still not smart ryding at even 55 with a worn tire with puddles all over. The speed limit is 70 here.

I'm planning my next / first ryde. I did break 2 fingers on my left hand. I see the doctor next Friday where I'll see how it's healing. My last visit he said I'd be rehabbing squeezing a tennis ball. Wouldn't a left handlebar grip work just as well? Buckeye Chuck
    Thanks for the update, Chuck. I'm glad you've decided not to give up riding. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet you one day.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Chuck,

Thanks for the update.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you feel that discussing Truth vs. Fiction is a p*ssing contest then please Add me to your ignore list .....If you feel someone spewing Dangerous info is OK..... Then also add me to your Ignore list if you haven't already......your welcome ......... Mike

Mike, YOU are one of a few that uses science and data. I put that particular emoji on the end for a reason......

Not gonna add you to my ignore list
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Buckeye Chuck is the better looking one. He slightly resembles Marty Feldman, I on the other hand am three notches lower.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate