Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The end of Chuck.

Some may know of my love ryding my 2014 RT-S, it's been my life for the last 3 years
    and 358 days. While ryding in the rain on May 30 I spotted a water puddle just ahead.
    I've ridden over puddles before and never felt hydroplaning. I passed over this one and
    went into an uncontrollable spin at 65 mph. My bike spit me off. I recall hitting the asphalt
    and contorting in a way the human body isn't supposed to. I was awake during this whole
    episode. Quickly I was assisted by several passersby. I tried to stand up to no avail.
    I was able to sit up, and a mere 50 feet away was my Pearl White RT-S, sitting straight up
    and idling, seemingly mocking me. No damage, none.
    I won't go onto my injuries, suffice to say I am still breathing. Will be homebound for months.
    So Spyderlovers, after 157,428 miles it pains me to say, I've had enough.
    People who know me think I'll be back. I know I'll try. just can'e see it.
    Been ryding since I was 11 years old. Ridden 25 different motorcycles and by my calculations
    covered well over 1.2 million miles. It's been fun. This Spyder was the most fun of any cycle I've
    ever ridden.
    I'll check into SL.com from time to time, maybe.
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Spyder Garage

Default ooouch!!!

So glad your still with us. Sorry about the whole accident and know how you must feel. Hope your recovery is speedy and as comfortable as possible. but heal well and who knows when you will be back. Do stay here with us even if your not ryding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chuck, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back on the road again. Please give us an update as you start feeling better.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default end of Chuck

So Sorry to hear of this, heal quickly and keep in touch, hope you choose to ride again when you're able

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the hydroplaning. That's probably the one situation I'd be concerned about with the Spyder. Glad you survived.

It might be helpful to know more about the situation that resulted in hydroplaning and the tires you have on the bike. A valuable learning experience perhaps?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SAD STORY

We met at Spyderfest this year thanks to a common friend .... It was a real pleasure to meet a real rider .... Thank you for that ......needless to say I will be sending ..for your speedy ( and total ) recovery ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-09-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It might be helpful to know more about the situation that resulted in hydroplaning and the tires you have on the bike. A valuable learning experience perhaps?
    Sorry to hear about any rider getting injured.

The basic lesson to be learned here is: Driving (anything) at 65 MPH or higher when it is raining hard enough to create puddles is NOT a good thing to do. Even cars hydroplane and spin out sometimes.

In my car, I slow down.
    On the Spyder, I pull off and wait until it lets up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Sorry to hear about any rider getting injured. The basic lesson to be learned here is: Driving (anything) at 65 MPH or higher when it is raining hard enough to create puddles is NOT a good thing to do. Even cars hydroplane and spin out sometimes. In my car, I slow down. On the Spyder, I pull off and wait until it lets up.
    When I replace my front tires, my primary consideration is going to be standing water dispersion ability. I think some tires are probably better at that than others and I'd like to know what works and what doesn't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The fact that you're here to tell the story is probably due to wearing proper gear and.....luck. As time passes and you feel comfortable, it would be useful to know what helped you survive that terrible accident. I know that I don't always wear what I know I should. Your experience and survivor ability may just inspire me and others to do what we know we should. Here's hoping you recuperate speedily and fully. Do not be a stranger.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are still kicking, Buddy! Get yourself healed and take things one day at a time. I'm pretty sure if you can eventually swing that leg over the saddle, you will get back on.
    Just take it slow. Measure progress in small increments. A journal, either written or voice might be a good idea to help remind you of progress.
    If you need someone to talk to, you have my number. Call anytime.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your hydroplaning incident. Hope you change your mind about riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Chuck, I/(we) will be praying for a swift and full physical and mental recovery from this accident. I'm sure any witnesses already think you're blessed to be ejected and still be alive and recovering. May you have pleasant PT's, and full recovery.
    Thank you for sharing and letting us know, here's hoping this is just a hiatus and not "the end of Chuck". Scary title to read on any motorsports forum.
    Be well and heal soon!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WET ROAD TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    When I replace my front tires, my primary consideration is going to be standing water dispersion ability. I think some tires are probably better at that than others and I'd like to know what works and what doesn't.
    " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " they have 14" & 15" in widths for Spyder front tires " .....right now Tire Rack is offering FREE shipping ....... PS, if you go to their site DO NOT ASK A SALESPERSON WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT USING THIS TIRE ON - A SPYDER .......It was these types of questions that caused Discount Tire to stop selling SINGLE tires to Spyderlovers !!!!! .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Praise the Lord you are okay but thank you for sharing your story

We are so glad to know you are okay, relatively speaking. We will pray for you and that you will heal over time and will consider continuing on your enjoyment, your hobby, your relaxation. I know it's hard but it is a life lesson, not just for you but for all of us. This story is not in vain, it is there for all of us and we are sorry you had to endure this but things happen for a reason in the larger realm of things that often we cannot see at the time. I personally have learned from your story here. Thank you so much for re-telling and re-living your experience. Continued good health and recovery! Press On!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default chuck

I was fueling at a station in Warsaw Ohio some time last summer and Chuck was there.We traded stories for a short while.I had seen Chuck ride through our town of Martinsburg quit a few times and had talked with him a few times at our station in town.He told me he lives by Dillon Dam which is about 25 miles south east of me.I didn't know who he was until last summer.He told me that Buckeye Blue pitched a tent in his yard and spent all week end sitting on his porch visiting. Buckkeye Blue lives about 100 miles north east from here.I think he was at Maggie Valley last fall but I don't know him.Take care Chuck.When you get our age it takes a little longer to heal.

Spyder Garage

Best wishes for a speedy recovery , Chuck. You have the whole Spyder community pulling for you!
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Hope you heal faster than you think! You've been around the block a couple times---you know the drill. Follow the Doc's/therapists instructions, and take care of your self! As you recover you may well find your motivation to get back on your Spyder is higher than you think now!

I hydroplaned my Quad Racer into a tree back in the '80s (showing off for some kids---they were impressed---on what NOT to do). Bent and cracked the Quad's frame, but got off with a couple bruises and a sprained thumb---coulda been a lot worse. Dumb luck!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default PRAYING

CHUCK;
    WE ARE ALL PRAYING FOR A COMPETE RECOVERY AND A RETURN TO RIDING...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Thanking God you are okay. I will be adding my prayers with the others for a speedy and complete recovery.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Triple OUCH!!! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hopes for a speedy recovery. Good luck with everything.
    2013 RED RT-S SE-5. Nothing special, but it's mine. I call it El Diablo Rojo
    US ARMY Combat Engineer. Sapper Strike!

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of your bad experience and pray for your speedy and full recovery.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to see that you can tell us about this most unfortunate event...
    Heal quickly and completely: we need your valuable perspective around here!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your hydroplaning incident, hope you heal quickly.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! That could have ended a lot worse. I'm glad you're still with us to tell the tale. Praying that you'll get well quickly. I hope you'll let us know how your recovery progresses.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)