Spyder Garage

Default Somethings have worked, others well sort of, and others are just plane rubbish ...

In my better than 50 years of riding, I can honestly say I have never been into 'bling' .. never have been and never will … Just my opinion but its just a waste of time and money as compared to stuff that 'works' … if you are here in Australia, you'd most probably just be known as a 'poser'

So far for my proposed mods, of which most are or were worthy of serious research and explanation (I think) ….

The possibility of a Ram Air Intake fitment …. This one definitely was in the ball park of worth doing, but after several months of pretty full on research and investigation, IMO, I'd (sort of) place it in the 'myth busters - BS basket' … Other than applying a huge amount of boosted air intake (turbocharging) …. nope! …. It just ain't going to happen! …

Now having said that, I have gone with a K&N hi-flow filter for the air intake and … stood off the top of the air filter intake box by about an 3/4" on my F3-T. - now my rationale for that is pretty straight forward - Have a really close look at the air intake box itself and the stock air filter mounting on the F3's and once again I say the engineers at Can Am really do know their stuff. It is pretty much suspended in the centre of the hole unit to allow free air to circulate around the mounted filter itself. In all honesty the only way I could see to increase the air flow intake was via the secured top to that top supported area.

The main side 3" or thereabouts entrance, is confined and restricted. It has no way of allowing a hi-flow ducted air intake to the current position without deformity. The ECU is mounted right next to the entrance (probably again for its own cooling) Then moving forward and on the opposite side to the air duct entrance is my main beam headlight housing (which again I briefly contemplated relocating.) Problem there is, the main intake for air is pretty close to 86mm and the main inlet where the main beam sits is only 75mm at its maximum … You will not get any advantage by any constriction as the two areas are way to close … and so that was that …

The thru 2" exhaust system…. A sort of win here … Performance wise, hell yea, but noise wise … a big fail ! I have taken the catalytic converter off and replaced that with a 'straight thru' cat delete. I then followed through with a 2" straight through muffler system right to the end of the tail pipe …. To jump on top of the noise I incorporated 2 sets of independent baffles. FAIL! Just way to loud still! Way too loud! If I wasn't converting the back side of the Spyder for the 'proposed' side-car usage (ie taking the pillion seat off) … I'd hate to be the passenger in its present setup …. So …. way more work needed here. I am fairly convinced of the potential, its just my execution thus far has been crap!

Lastly for this little rant and by far the most successful … The Monster remap …. Sensational and worth every penny … Sent the ECU off to Canada then received it back all in under 3 weeks. All that worked very well as I was doing and waiting on exhaust bits in the mean time. Went for a little blatt today (nothing at all too hard) and then electronically changed things back to 'ECO' mode for the F3 for the next little while until the ECU's re-mapping fully takes up etc … I'll probably allow close to a full tank of fuel for that I'd guess …

In the mean time, photos are attached of the exhaust … The ECU, well logically you can't see any difference there from the outside because its all pixy dust internally hey ? The main light was and still is out on the left hand side awaiting a DRL/fog light combination and so its back to the drawing board ... stay safe !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 06-05-2018 at 08:33 AM.