Spyder Garage

Default Installing ShowChrome passenger arm rests for 2016 Spyder RT

I installed a Big Bike Parts ShowChrome Model 49-159 Deluxe Passenger Armrests on my 2016 RT-S, as my wife complained of arm fatigue on longer rides. They cost $220 including shipping from Valueaccessories.com. They cost up to $269 from Amazon and other sites. These were less expensive than the two other brands of arm rests I could find, and installation was very easy EXCEPT for one issue – removing and reinstalling the two bolts at the rear of the seat. Doing this was the most frustrating couple of hours I have ever spent due to limited space in which to work. But I learned a couple of tricks than will help make it easier. First, be sure to watch this installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZWvCIrlBA and be sure to stuff a rag into the hole below the bolts, or you will lose a part or two down there forever.

I tried to remove the bolts by lifting the seat up, but it was impossible to get my socket wrench and hands back there due to limited space. When you remove the passenger seat back, you have much better access to the bolts from the top by pushing the seat cushion in a little bit. To easily remove the passenger seat back, loosen two screws, remove 3 others in the trunk and simply lift the seat back away. Watch the first two minutes of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlAcupTzI0.

Now you have access to the two bolts from the top of the seat where there is more access. But it was still nearly impossible to get a 10mm socket and wrench into the small space, so I bought the Stanley 3/8 in. Rotator Ratchet shown in the video (about $30 on Amazon, which works great in very tight spaces (https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-89-96...otating+wrench). I bought the 3/8” wrench, but I think the more expensive 1/4” wrench would fit better. Once those two bolts were removed, installing the arm rests is a snap and took about 30 min. Then the final problem was getting the two bolts back in. You need to fit a square nut into a small slot at the back end of the bolt and again it was impossible for me to do this with my large hands. My wife’s lady hands were just the right size to slip the nut in, but even she had trouble because she had to do it by feel – no room to see around her hands. Again, this was easier to do from the top of the seat, but it still took about 30 minutes just to get those stupid bolts back in. Adjusting the arms and armrest pads to suit my wife required a short 2mm and 6mm hex wrench, not the combination pack of hex wrenches I had, because it is hard to reach the set screws due to interference from the speakers and grab handle. So off to the hardware store again. But other than the issue with the two seat bolts, the job is quick and easy, instructions are good and build quality is excellent. The arm rests are solid, comfortable and look like they came on the trike.
    Last edited by Wcumming; 06-04-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: correct video links

Spyder Garage

JUST A FEW TIPS ON THE NUTS THAT SLIDE INTO THE CUTOUT.. I HAVE THE SLOT TAPED WITH DUCT TAPE TO KEEP THE NUTS IN THE SLOTTED AREA... IT ALLOWS THEM TO SLIDE BUT THEY WILL NOT COME OUT .. ON THE SLEEVE THAT THE BOLT GOES THRU WHEN I TOOK THEM OUT WRAPED THE ONE END WITH CLEAR TWO SIDED TAPE PUT SOME SILICONE ON THE SLEEVE REINSTALLED THEM AND THEY WILL NOT COME OUT AGAIN
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Good idea. Thanks!