Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gold Plugs-1330 engine SOLD!

new, never used
    engine MP18, retail $20.99
    trans MP-01, retail $18.99
    both for $30 shipped in lower 48
    can take paypal
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 10-23-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: sold per post #5

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Are they still for sale? I'm interested if PMK don't take them

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Are they still for sale? I'm interested if PMK don't take them
    Sent him the money...

Hope to maybe, do the big comparo.

Stock vs Dimple vs Gold. With all three in hand, hope have my friends X Ray them so we can see how they truly compare.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sent him the money...

Hope to maybe, do the big comparo.

Stock vs Dimple vs Gold. With all three in hand, hope have my friends X Ray them so we can see how they truly compare.
    I've heard that a few Dimple plugs broke off inside the engine when they were tighten down to much. Don't think I remember a Gold Plug breaking though. All plugs should be tighten to torque readings.

Spyder Garage

sold
    thanks, PMK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I've heard that a few Dimple plugs broke off inside the engine when they were tighten down to much. Don't think I remember a Gold Plug breaking though. All plugs should be tighten to torque readings.
    According to others, oem, Gold and Dimple have all broken off in the cases. As for correct torque, consider most drain plug threads are not clean nor dry, if the manual calls out a torque, most times that is for clean, dry threads, anything else, if torqued to specs will overtorque the fastener approximately 30 to 50% above the dry torque spec.

Consider too the quality and calibration of the torque wrench. Money saved on a less expensive torque wrench may be exponentially more expensive if damage occurs.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-07-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!

Another fast sale...for an interesting reason. Hope to see the results of the testing.
    As for the torque rule of thumb is to finger tighten then go a quarter of a turn more. Always use a new crush washer as it is not only the seal to prevent seepage/leaks but also absorbes the vibrations...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Another fast sale...for an interesting reason. Hope to see the results of the testing.
    As for the torque rule of thumb is to finger tighten then go a quarter of a turn more. Always use a new crush washer as it is not only the seal to prevent seepage/leaks but also absorbes the vibrations...
    If I get the data, results will be posted on the new FB group for product evaluations.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIMPLE VS. GOLD

According to others, oem, Gold and Dimpla have all broken off in the cases. As for correct torque, consider most drain plug threads are not clean nor dry, if the manual calls out a torque, most times that is for clean, dry threads, anything else, if torqued to specs will overtorque the fastener approximately 30 to 50% above the dry torque spec.

Consider too the quality and calibration of the torque wrench. Money saved on a less expensive torque wrench may be exponentially most expensive if damage occurs.
    This was discussed / debated about 6 mos. ago ..... I have never seen a post about the Gold Plugs breaking !!! the Dimples have and quite a few ..... A member here did some measurements on the THREAD area .... and the Dimple plugs were thinner because the Magnet was wider ....... causing MORE metal to be removed from the thread part .... the difference in the strength of the magnets used is so small, measuring it would take a device we here couldn't afford....and both size magnets are more powerful than they need to be ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This was discussed / debated about 6 mos. ago ..... I have never seen a post about the Gold Plugs breaking !!! the Dimples have and quite a few ..... A member here did some measurements on the THREAD area .... and the Dimple plugs were thinner because the Magnet was wider ....... causing MORE metal to be removed from the thread part .... the difference in the strength of the magnets used is so small, measuring it would take a device we here couldn't afford....and both size magnets are more powerful than they need to be ...... good luck .... Mike
    I can easily borrow the Gaussmeter to compare magnetic field strength. Besides, even fancy ones these days are not that expensive.

Obviously, dimensionally checking will be easy. So comparing magnet dimensions is no problem for diameter.

Getting them X-Rayed to see inside vs cutting them apart may take a phone call or two.

If you have recolection of the topic / posts you mentioned, if you find them and link them, they may form a good baseline or determine if they are valid or not.

Spyder Garage

" Valid or Not " .... If you think I made it up ..... here's a News Flash .....I Don't care ..... Also Both plugs are EXACTLY the same size ( or one wouldn't screw into the Hole ) and if the one magnet is larger , the wall thickness of the Threads are going to be THINNER ...... this is not Rocket science........ But go have Fun with the Gauss meter, and X-ray machine......I'm sure everyone here has at one of each ........... Mike ...... Being told you are a Liar rubs me the wrong way !!!!!!

The way I read his reply was that the links you might be able to provide would maybe help him in analysing his results.

I absolutely did not think he was calling you a liar !!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

" Valid or Not " .... If you think I made it up ..... here's a News Flash .....I Don't care ..... Also Both plugs are EXACTLY the same size ( or one wouldn't screw into the Hole ) and if the one magnet is larger , the wall thickness of the Threads are going to be THINNER ...... this is not Rocket science........ But go have Fun with the Gauss meter, and X-ray machine......I'm sure everyone here has at one of each ........... Mike ...... Being told you are a Liar rubs me the wrong way !!!!!!
    Sorry you imagined these ideas and falsely read so much into a post.

Spyder Garage

Mike, sorry but he did not call you a liar.

Spyder Garage

" IF they are valid or NOT ", what's difficult to understand what was written ???? ....AND if I had the links I would have posted them ....... I'm not like a lot of other people on this Forum who ask questions about THEIR Spyder giving NO Clue what THEIR Spyder is and don't even have that info on their Bio page ....... and LIAR is a WORD - the meaning is not ..... Mike
    Mike, like a lot of people are probably thinking, you should step back an take a chill pill, stop thinking every one on here are out to get you! You have a lot of good knowledge and help a lot of people on here, but some times you have a quick temper!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Everyone, enough already. If anyone should be upset it could be me for having the hammer dropped as it has, but this is so petty I had no issue with any of it, and honestly, no ill intents were meant by anything posted.

However, at this point, I have realized, like I learned long ago, never argue or try to discuss two points with a cop, nothing good will ever come of it.

Anyone else interested or wanting to see how the drain plugs compare, the info will get posted on Facebook, most likely in the Spyder Technical group.

All the best everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default GOLD PLUG THREAD

I have stepped back as suggested by another member here ..... I have deleted all Objectionable posts ...however I can't delete posts from Other members ............... In retrospect - after reviewing what was said by PMK ... I read into His statement something that wasn't intended and took offensive to it ......... I mis-understood the way He wrote it ........... I may be a bit over-sensitive at this point in time , do to another member ( **** ******** ***** ) accusing me of ......." TRACKING " Him ..... Luckily some other members who have far greater computer knowledge proved He was wrong about Me tracking Him ...... so lets end this now ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Initial comparison written and posted.

Find it at this Facebook Group: Can-Am Spyder Product Reviews by Users

For the non FaceBook people, this is the Word .DOC

Tried to upload the document here, but apparently with the text, images and tables, it exceeds the limits allowed and will not upload. Sorry.

FWIW, the diameter of the magnets on the long drain plugs, the Gold Plug is larger than Dimple Drain Plug and therefore the Gold Plug has a thinner wall thickness.
    On the small drain plug, the Gold Plug has a substantially smaller magnet diameter, however I was under the impression it was the longer drain plug that fails.

The comparison compares the OEM Rotax / Can Am drain plugs to the Dimple Drain Plugs and Gold Plugs.

At this time, I have not yet measured magnet strength nor magnet length into the drain plug itself. Without doubt, the aftermarket magnets are both very powerful and substantially stronger than oem. This may not be a point, but certainly the stronger magnets have the larger field area and ability to draw particles out of the oil at a greater distance than oem.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-06-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

I used aftermarket plugs on my RT BUT with the 2015 F3 I just do what the manual says and use the stock hardware??? $$$ Saved in my Pocket?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

holy crap, Batman
    all I did was sell some Gold Plugs.
    How did that turn into so much yelling and screaming?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    holy crap, Batman
    Bwahahahahahaha. People sometimes like to fight on these two-dimensional forums. I can't believe that you didn't sell a representative sample of all available drain plugs so the end user could make up their own mind Now the buyer will always wonder, "Did I get the right drain plugs??????" And now I am not wondering as much why you are selling your Spyder I quit another hobby forum this week because I frankly got sick and tired of all the BS. The nice thing is that we can all exercise complete control and choose to read or disregard anything we see on the Internet

Spyder Garage

Default Dimple Vs. Gold

Initial comparison written and posted.

Find it at this Facebook Group: Can-Am Spyder Product Reviews by Users

For the non FaceBook people, this is the Word .DOC

Tried to upload the document here, but apparently with the text, images and tables, it exceeds the limits allowed and will not upload. Sorry.

FWIW, the diameter of the magnets on the long drain plugs, the Gold Plug is larger than Dimple Drain Plug and therefore the Gold Plug has a thinner wall thickness.
    On the small drain plug, the Gold Plug has a substantially smaller magnet diameter, however I was under the impression it was the longer drain plug that fails.

The comparison compares the OEM Rotax / Can Am drain plugs to the Dimple Drain Plugs and Gold Plugs.

At this time, I have not yet measured magnet strength nor magnet length into the drain plug itself. Without doubt, the aftermarket magnets are both very powerful and substantially stronger than oem. This may not be a point, but certainly the stronger magnets have the larger field area and ability to draw particles out of the oil at a greater distance than oem.
    Thanks for correcting the info on the Wall thickness , so why was the ( reported ) failure rate higher for the Dimple Brand ??? .... I was pretty sure the Metal used was the same .... could the adhesive used to secure the Magnets make a difference ............ The WHY is IMHO going to remain a Mystery ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for correcting the info on the Wall thickness , so why was the ( reported ) failure rate higher for the Dimple Brand ??? .... I was pretty sure the Metal used was the same .... could the adhesive used to secure the Magnets make a difference ............ The WHY is IMHO going to remain a Mystery ......... Mike
    The info I wrote and posted lists my assumption of what the drain plug materials are.

Oddly, with steel fasteners typically being stronger than stainless, another wrench was thrown into the failure question.

Both Dimple plugs are made of steel. Verified by strong magnetic attraction. I do not know the alloy, but expect it to be eqivalent to grade 5 or better.

Both Gold Plugs are made from stainless. Verified by minimal or no magnetic tendency. Again, not sure what alloy, but expect it to be typical of that used in quality hardware.

Oem drain plugs are mixed. The long plug is stainless, while the short drain plug is steel.

If adheseive is utilized to retain the magnets, vs a light press fit, I see no traces of it around the magnet perimeter.

I have my assumption of what happened, but need more info and facts before going there.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    holy crap, Batman
    Thank you for sending the drain plugs quickly. Not sure about all the arguing and bickering, but those Gold Plugs were the last item in order to not only compare the oem vs the Dimple brand vs the Gold Plugs brand.

There have been posts about all the drain plugs having some type of failure. The oem type are often condemned for not having the hex wrench flats and strip out the Allen or Torx portion. However one person did report snapping an oem drain plug off.

The Dimple plugs have been posted by a couple of people to have failed and required expensive repairs.

There have even been comments about Gold Plugs failing.

By purchasing those drain plugs, I now have in hand all three types. With that I put together a document discussing the similarities and differences, along with many photos and dimensions.

The sole goal in doing this was to allow those interested in magnetic drain plugs to compare, without bias from me, the drain plugs.

If you are on Facebook, the document is posted to the Can Am Spyder Technical group and owners review group.

Thank you very much for sending them quickly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Bwahahahahahaha. People sometimes like to fight on these two-dimensional forums. I can't believe that you didn't sell a representative sample of all available drain plugs so the end user could make up their own mind Now the buyer will always wonder, "Did I get the right drain plugs??????" And now I am not wondering as much why you are selling your Spyder I quit another hobby forum this week because I frankly got sick and tired of all the BS. The nice thing is that we can all exercise complete control and choose to read or disregard anything we see on the Internet
    These Gold Plugs were used, in a manner to help others decide based on facts, not internet speculation. It is accepted that there have been drain plug failures, that required costly repairs. Why they failed was never clear, but blame was on excess material removal for the magnet, and the thought that the long drain plugs utilized different sized magnets. Ironically, the magnets are nearly the same diameter, differing by 0.080mm.

As for the bickering, like you, I pretty much disregard what I need to.

Spyder Garage

hi the gold plugs the engine drain plug the long one comes with a thick washer when I drain the oil do I put the new washer that is thin one over the large one or throw out the old thick aluminum washer>
    richie spyder