Thread: Battery

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Reaching out for suggestions and recommendations on battery for a 2014 RTL? And best place to get it? Hoping to find something local since I have a ride this weekend to Salt Lake City to visit a friend who just had a bone marrow transplant. Pretty important trip.

Mine is completely dead. The battery pack I bought from Lamonster started it up, and it was as dead as it could possible be. It ran for about 5 minutes in the garage and dead. Tried to restart it and its still as dead as possible. No need to jump it again. Its a goner. 4 years old an stock battery so I guess I'll count my lucky stars that it didn't die on me while on a trip.

Yes I always keep it on a tender when not riding.

Thanks for the help.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

From pg 162 of your operator's guide; get it from your dealer: Yuasa YTX24HL-BS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Just a minute.....

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    Did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Reaching out for suggestions and recommendations on battery for a 2014 RTL? And best place to get it? Hoping to find something local since I have a ride this weekend to Salt Lake City to visit a friend who just had a bone marrow transplant. Pretty important trip.

Mine is completely dead. The battery pack I bought from Lamonster started it up, and it was as dead as it could possible be. It ran for about 5 minutes in the garage and dead. Tried to restart it and its still as dead as possible. No need to jump it again. Its a goner. 4 years old an stock battery so I guess I'll count my lucky stars that it didn't die on me while on a trip.

Thanks for the help.
    ...5 minute of running in the garage will not recharge the battery. You need to get out and ride it for a while, at higher rpm.!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    ...5 minute of running in the garage will not recharge the battery. You need to get out and ride it for a while, at higher rpm.!
    That's a tank full of gas or a couple of hours ryding type 'ryde it for a while'!! 5 mins of running in the garage even at high revs is simply nowhere near enough time to put back just the charge needed to start the engine, let alone enough to recharge a flat battery!! It generally takes about 20-30 mins of ryding to properly recharge a good battery after starting it, so a poorly charged battery needs significantly longer runs!!

There again, after 4 years on the original battery, maybe it's a good idea to fit a new one anyway - but please, remember that you NEED to do some fairly regular longer runs or your Spyder (battery) will suffer!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Inexpensive; fits perfectly; great warranty; works flawlessly!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AJ

Thanks for the help.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 5 min. & dead ?????

OK , this makes no sense to me ...... If I start my trk. and it's running, I can dis-connect the battery and the engine won't die and the trk will keep running..... Something is not right here ..... It's possible there is a bad cell in the Battery but I don't so ..... The OP stated He keeps the Spyder on a Maintainer, so completely drained of power , I don't think is possible .... I would check connections and put STAR washers on the Battery terminals..... if they are loose this could cause improper charging and the Batteries output ......orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just buy a New battery and make sure the cables are properly tight ......................... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Many out there...

How fast....? Amazon can get it to you tomorrow. I would still stick with the YUASA though there are many out there. You can also get them at other bike shops Wal-Mart auto parts stores etc.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hoping

I'm hoping that there is something better than the stock battery out there.

Thanks for the information though. I will go that direction if I have to.

Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    From pg 162 of your operator's guide; get it from your dealer: Yuasa YTX24HL-BS.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

I put a stinger in my 2014rts. Works great.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I been happy with the stock battery. If your mind is set to try something else why not try the Lamonster battery.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ster-approved/

I have a 4 year old stock battery and is still starting the bike. Not to say it wont go south tomorrow.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 06-03-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Better? Who knows but Batteries Plus has some options.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There really isn't.
    At least not enough better to worry about.

Call around to bike shops in your area to see who has one and what the price is.

Be sure it is fully charged BEFORE installing it. Your tender might work for that but it might take 24 hours or so.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-03-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I buy my batteries from Wal Mart, for my cars, truck, tractor, GW and Spyder. Are they the best.....I doubt it but I change out every three years, needed or not. I don't want to be caught with a bad battery. Never have battery problems. I use a Deltron Battery Tender on the Spyder and GW. When you get a new battery, charge it 24 hours before using. Few are charged more than 80% by seller.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I have always stuck with the OEM battery for the convenience of it. Dealer installs during an oil change service--and I am good to go.

I just put in a new one on my 2014. I give them four years and change them out whether they need it or not. Replaced batteries on three 's so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information though. I will go that direction if I have to.

Appreciated.
    I can appreciate your line of thinking...
    But when you figure in cost and availability: it's tough to beat the OEM YUASA.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm hoping that there is something better than the stock battery out there. Thanks for the information though. I will go that direction if I have to. Appreciated.
    There's nothing wrong with the stock battery. I have two 2014RTLs - both still on the original battery.

As Mike (BlueKnight911) said, there is probably something else going on that you need to check out before just sticking a new battery in it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    As Mike (BlueKnight911) said, there is probably something else going on that you need to check out before just sticking a new battery in it.
    If the old battery won't take and hold a charge.......those possible "things" need to be checked out AFTER putting in a new battery.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If the old battery won't take and hold a charge.......those possible "things" need to be checked out AFTER putting in a new battery.
    That's a big 'if'. He hasn't tried yet
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's a big 'if'. He hasn't tried yet
    Well yes I think he HAS. Unless his tender has failed, that is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well yes I think he HAS. Unless his tender has failed, that is.
    That's right. Or, the tender wasn't connected securely. There are all kinds of possibilities. Particularly since he said he did get it running, but then it died on him before he had a chance to see if the battery was taking a charge.

I don't see a problem with him replacing the battery if that's what he wants to do, but he seems to think he needs a 'better' battery for some reason, as if that will solve everything that might be wrong.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

A tender, or charger need to "see" voltage in order to operate. If his battery did, indeed, fail putting all kinds of power to it will not do a thing. Think of what happens when you plug a tender/charger in but do not connect it to the battery......NOTHING. It needs to be connected to a battery showing SOME voltage in order to start the charging process. So, if his battery died of natural causes (age) even while being properly attached to a tender, it will just sit there with nothing happening. Once it died, the tender would shut down because it doesn't think it is attached to anything. New battery needed.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    A tender, or charger need to "see" voltage in order to operate. If his battery did, indeed, fail putting all kinds of power to it will not do a thing. Think of what happens when you plug a tender/charger in but do not connect it to the battery......NOTHING. It needs to be connected to a battery showing SOME voltage in order to start the charging process. So, if his battery died of natural causes (age) even while being properly attached to a tender, it will just sit there with nothing happening. Once it died, the tender would shut down because it doesn't think it is attached to anything. New battery needed.
    There are too many unknowns to be able to troubleshoot this situation in any meaningful way.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default LiIon

The last battery I replaced was on my BMW R1200GS, and I replaced it with a LiIon battery. The replacement battery was smaller, much lighter in weight, and had 4 terminals. I connected the bike to one set of terminals and my added on accessories to the other two. I really liked it. I'll probably do the same when it's time to replace my 2015 RT battery.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Think of what happens when you plug a tender/charger in but do not connect it to the battery......NOTHING.
    Not true of all models of tender-type chargers.