Spyder Garage

Default Oil topping, when does it start?

Hello all:

When I took delivery of my 2018 F3 Limited two weeks ago I was told to check the oil after 1000 kms (about 625 miles). I am now at 1200 kms so i have started to do so. I did it twice and the level is perfect. It hasn't moved at all. I believe I am following the procedure properly re 10 mins idling then within two minutes.

Is 1200 kms too early to start worrying about it. When should I expect to have to top it off.

I was also told to change the oil at 5000 kms (3000 miles) which is what the manual says. Is that what people generally do? Earlier?

Thanks in advance for your input.

JG
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Default jbim

if this is a new cycle follow the instructions on the manual , ( if you miss the oil change and things happen to the engine , the dealer can argue the fact that you did not follow the instructions and the warranty might be waved ... might be that is ) but it is the best thing to do after all , at the oil change the service center finds a lot of odd things wrong , it is best to find them now than later ! as for the oil levels , keep checking it also doesn`t hurt to be on the safe side , if there is considerable low oil on the dip stick , then back to dealer . ( I say this so , if there is in fact oil loss, you will notice right away , and you can deal with the problem at home not 50 miles away , the service guys can under stand better as to the reason , for the loss of the oil ) other than that happy roads ahead !
    Last edited by youngers; 06-02-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can change your oil earlier if you like but 3,000 is a good start. The 1330 engine doesn’t use much oil so not much to worry about there. I check mine when I get back from a long ride.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am at 25K miles on mine and havnt checked the oil yet. Just oil and filter changes. I suppose one day I will.

Spyder Garage

Yes you should check the oil level regularly. After coming back from a ride. At full operating temperature. Follow the procedure in the manual. If the oil level is below the add level. Add a half a quart/liter of oil max. That will bring the oil level back to between the add and full. The 1330 engine uses extremely little oil. It it is very likely you will never need to add any oil between oil changes. That is very different then the 998 engine of former models. If you happen to overfill. You need to remove the extra.

So when will the the oil topping start. Likely never.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-02-2018 at 08:48 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Relax.....

These new 1330 engines do not use oil. The problem is with the V-twin 998 engine which does and you should check and top off about every 500 miles. Always good to check the oil before long rydes as you would the coolant air etc. Many dealers or the tech's still figure they are all the same. So ryde and enjoy and don't worry...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thank you very much to all for this info.

Ride safe!

JG
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

The 1330 engines are pretty tight. Most find that they do not have to ADD oil between oil changes. I am one of those.

The 990/998's tend to use a bit of oil. Usually between a half quart and a quart in 4,500 (the oil change intervals).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red