Spyder Garage

Default 17 RT-S possible purchase

Good morning! I'd like to thank this site for allowing me to join this wonderful organization. I have been reading the posts for several weeks and reviewing models/prices etc. In fact I was looking at spyders for years as a riding solution as I am mobility challenged. A little history, I was born and raised on a farm my past experience with motorcycles has been typical early 80's stuff, Honda ATC's, dirt bikes (YZ's), older on off 2 strokes (suzuki TS250 example). Anyhoo's when I was 15 (1986) I suffered spinal cord injury (SCI). As someone can imagine that kinda of experience leads to lifestyle changes and I stopped riding. Fast forward to today, now I have arthritis that's hit or miss, sometimes get back pain so severe I'm down for 3 days etc, but you work past it, pain treatment, arthritis treatment to overcome and keep moving. Now I'm 47 and really tamed back a bit and a few years ago I got the motorcycle fever again. I do walk with a forearm crutch but I'm not super stable but hey anyone can balance once upright right? So my main problem is I can't move my ankles at all so shifting is hard. I can press my feet down (foot brake) fine but coming up is more difficult.

But I found a solution! Good ole Hondamatic. 1982 CS450A. I get out and ride short distances but obviously it's not functional, first off I need to put on foot braces called AFO's in the business. Now mine are old heavy uncomfortable and don't fit right cause they 15 years old but they keep my ankles stable for balancing the bike. Now when I say disfunctional I mean I can balance the bike fine but problem is getting feet on and off foot pegs cause well I can't move my ankles and not much feeling down there. Once I'm up and going no problem, but stopping starting is quite hard to do as I do have hip muscles that are paralyzed too so that's what makes it hard getting feet on pegs. The main problem is I can't go anywhere because I can't carry my crutch or wheelchair or on a CM450A.

If you ever owned anything from 1982 you know the struggles. It's been a good bike really, just have to keep little things in check, run good fuel and no ethanol drain the carbs when storing etc.

I wll have some extra money coming in from my home sale etc and thought hey great midlife crisis mobile and a good investment. I went to my local dealer sat on 2009 RS with a nice price, sport bike feel, peg for feet, not very comfortable, windshield was super low, not comfortable. Soooo...tried a newer F3 tourer model, sit like a harley cruiser leg's extended forward and not comfortable and I had a heck of a time getting to brake pedal so this isn't going to work.

They have a used 2010 RTS 991 SMT with a trailer, wow this could really be a good solution, room for crutch and wheelchair too. Sit on it and very comfortable, windshield is functional, hey this is the one for me. Their asking 14.5 K but my concern it has 60 k miles. Do some research and nada book is lower than what they are asking but most of the research I've found is the spyders seem to hold value relatively well even 2008 9 10 models. More research I found info about difference between the 998 and 1330. More research found out about 2014 on up had good changes on the bikes for the better (SE6 trans). More research about the 2010 RTS find that well financing is going to be hard because of it's age and not going to get a good interest rate, or term (want a longer term lower payments), and the more I read the more I really want to be on a 1330 for many reasons......I start looking at used 2014 RTS on up, well they are out there in private sales, but there is no way to get a super low interest rate on a older bike and private sale. And I'm finding the 2014 on up are still running 14 K up price anyway. So now big rebates and super low interest on on 2017's yes! So after researching I want 2017 RT-S, SE6. I really dig the auto leveling seat, seems like a must have.

I start checking other dealers sites etc, well all of the dealers in my state all running about 21K to 22K before taxes/lic. So I start checking nationwide, if I buy from another state they running as low as 18 K beofre taxes/lic but they out of state and 1500 miles away! Now when your talking tax rates being a percentage, why wouldn't I purchase there at this low price and get serviced at my local dealer? That's a minimum of a 3 K swing in price, game changer if you ask me. 500 to 1000 to ship still a 2 K difference.....

Now here is my question, I keep reading get a good dealer, but how do you know it's a good dealer? I mean yes you have reviews/volume etc, but also keep in mind any service I need I assume it doesn't matter where you buy your cam am if they are a dealer they service it because it's under warranty. Is it acceptable to buy out of state and get serviced locally? If not why? (very sorry for the long post, but the devil is in the details)

Spyder Garage

Default Good Choice!

I believe that your choice of the 2017 RT SE6 is a very good one particularly with your physical problems. Good used ones are out there due to folks trading up. 2015 and newer all have the 1330 motor, Finding a good dealer with a qualified service technician can be more difficult, have to visit and check the service dept. If they have factory trained technicians they'll be proud of it and readily tell you! Happy hunting you're on the right trail! And welcome to the forum!!

Spyder Garage

Default Did you check iMotorsports

They have some pretty good deals on some left over 2017's. 21999 for an RT-S SE6. That includes set up and free shipping.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I would pass on the 2010 with 60K on it.

I have a 2017 RTS I think it would be a good choice for you. A lot smother running than the 998 and shift points are lower.

Spyder Garage

also a lot better mileage and extended oil changes, lower rpm cruising..
    we have a 15 rts and so far very happy. let us know what you end up doing
    and happy hunting!--irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

The 2010 RT with 60k is WAY OVER PRICED AT $14K. $10K is more like it. I have a 2011 RT SE5 for sale at $11K with 28K miles. And...it has received no bites.

Blue Book is good for getting "ball park" values. There is usually a gap of $4K between "wholesale (trade in)" and dealer price for used. Beware of what you pay. A good perusal of our ads here will give you a reasonable ballpark price for what to pay. Ads with 500 looks and no sales--indicate price to high.

Right now--its a tough sellers market for used. That should mean a good buyers market. Sharpen up the negotiation skills.

Ask about specific dealers. The recommendations or non will come out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default buying a Spyder

First .... What I will tell you here is from a long time owner of three Spyders who does all His own service work, has little to No faith in dealer Techs and Knows how to pinch a penny .... #1 forget any thing with a V-twin engine BRP has dropped that engine and is only using the 1330 .... as far as a trailer goes , I made my own from 2" plumbing PVC pipe and have moved 400 lbs ( loaded ) with it .... cost me around $100 and it weighs 125 lbs ..... I get the whole financing thing so I see where you are with getting a 2017 .... Try IMotorsports ( they ship to you for FREE ) here on the Home page ...many here have used them without any complaints that I have read ( I read all posts ) ..... The " buy it from your servicing dealer " thing is a bunch of HOOEY .... they mostly TREAT everyone like crap ( sales people are totally different, they will KISS your *SS in order to sell you one .... but get you NOTHING at SERVICE ) ..... It's IMPOSSIBLE to know who a GOOD dealer is, it's a Total Myth " they treat purchasers Better ..... Dealer who lies as a general business practice -- LIE to everybody - ALL the time ...... A Dealer is REQUIRED by Law to service your Spyder, and buying it from that dealer DOES NOT GET YOU TO THE HEAD OF THE LINE .... if you do buy " out-of-State " you don't pay any Taxes until you bring it home and register it..... buy the semi-auto they are worth more at re-sale ( lots of folks won't EVER buy a Manual trans Spyder ) ....Iv'e tried to cover all the important stuff you asked ....good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful feedback. I found the super low prices were without setup etc, so out the door they we close to what my local dealer is proposing. At least it gives me an idea of negotiation margins.

I do have a couple questions about the RT-S, from what I understand there is no 12 volt plug up front? If this is true why? Why wouldn't this be standard on all considering the day and age we live in? The limited has it right? That's a whopping lot of $ for such an upgrade. How hard would it be to get this wired/installed from the factory?

2nd question, from what I have read and I do find this quite astonishing, to keep this bike under factory warranty I have one option for a model of tire and that's it? (kenda factory tire)

3rd: I plan to put files on a usb thumb drive and plug in the back USB port, from what I understand the controller on handlebar will work with that? (skip tracks etc) I would be using only .mp3 format files.

4th: Can anyone recommend a good mount to hold droid phone? That's what I typically use for my gps anyway.

Sorry for all the questions, but these are the last open items that concern me. Again thank you everyone for all your suggestions/support!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 2010 RT with 60k is WAY OVER PRICED AT $14K. $10K is more like it. I have a 2011 RT SE5 for sale at $11K with 28K miles. And...it has received no bites.

Blue Book is good for getting "ball park" values. There is usually a gap of $4K between "wholesale (trade in)" and dealer price for used. Beware of what you pay. A good perusal of our ads here will give you a reasonable ballpark price for what to pay. Ads with 500 looks and no sales--indicate price to high.

Right now--its a tough sellers market for used. That should mean a good buyers market. Sharpen up the negotiation skills.

Ask about specific dealers. The recommendations or non will come out.
    I agree it is overpriced, but it does have the matching can am spyder trailer, it's numbered, limited edition etc so that's their theory, they only selling it as package and it's a gorgeous color combo too, all black with accents. I just don't want to be the guy that has to fix everything that is worn from the mileage, not to mention the higher cost of ownership for the 998 engine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    I agree it is overpriced, but it does have the matching can am spyder trailer, it's numbered, limited edition etc so that's their theory, they only selling it as package and it's a gorgeous color combo too, all black with accents. I just don't want to be the guy that has to fix everything that is worn from the mileage, not to mention the higher cost of ownership for the 998 engine.
    Add a trailer and the price goes up. The trailer for the 2010 was about $3,995 new.

Given choices, the 2014 and up 1330 is the way to go. I have one of each and the maintenance comment is right on.

Let us know what you end up with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red