Spyder Garage

Default 2015 998 st - what's wrong with rotella t6 5w40 oil?

2015 998 ST,SE5 WHATS WRONG WITH ROTELLA T6 5-40, SAYS JASCO MA / MA2, LOOKS LIKE SPECS R GOOD?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsteve931 View Post
    2015 998 ST,SE5 WHATS WRONG WITH ROTELLA T6 5-40, SAYS JASCO MA / MA2, LOOKS LIKE SPECS R GOOD?

Its does not technically meet BRP spec because the Rotella T6 also carries an SM rating. BRP Specifically says not to use an SM or higher rated oil on SE versions because of the centrifugal clutch. We use Rotella T6 in all the newer 1330 engines but stock Valvoline Motorcycle 4T 10W40 full synthetic for the older 998 SE engines just for this reason.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default ck-4

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its does not technically meet BRP spec because the Rotella T6 also carries an SM rating. BRP Specifically says not to use an SM or higher rated oil on SE versions because of the centrifugal clutch. We use Rotella T6 in all the newer 1330 engines but stock Valvoline Motorcycle 4T 10W40 full synthetic for the older 998 SE engines just for this reason.

I see CK-4 in the specs but no SM r they the same/similar?

Spyder Garage

I see CK-4 in the specs but no SM r they the same/similar?
    CK-4 is the diesel engine spec. Here is the full product data sheet:

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/p...d19fffe655.pdf

It is API SN rated for gasoline engines.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default GOT IT

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    CK-4 is the diesel engine spec. Here is the full product data sheet:

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/p...d19fffe655.pdf

It is API SN rated for gasoline engines.
    GOT IT
    THANKS STEVE

Spyder Garage

Default Did I miss something?

How does a motor oil that exceeds API SJ, (SN) be a bad thing for an SE5?
    What would the consequences be for using an API SN oil in an SE5, and would the SN be safe to use in an SM5?
    It's a 21 now....,BUT I like being on top
    TricLed afterburnerz gen2
    BajaRon sway bar
    F4 customs SRT 28" Clear Wide

2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

I cannot give you a specific answer other than BRP makes the specific requirement in the owners manual for the 998 SE engines. There were also a number of failed centrifugal clutches in these bikes from using the wrong oil back in the day. Would Rotella T6 destroy your clutch? Likely not but I will not install an oil the manufacture goes to the trouble of saying DO NOT USE in a customers bike. Its much easier to spend a few pennies more and use an oil rated per the OEM requirements. The T6 is a GREAT oil for the 1330 SE engines.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you go outside of the specs for the SM5/SE5 you run a great risk of slipping the clutch even if the oil has a JASO rating of MA2 (the highest clutch slippage rating for a wet clutch application).

This is because of the materials and spring pressures used in the clutch assemblies on the 998 Rotax. BRP fixed this weakness in the 1330. So what they use, or what you've been using forever in your Goldwing, Triumph, etc., (and it works fine) really has no bearing on the 998. Simply a different animal.

If you slip the clutch more than just a small amount on the 998, you'll be buying a new one (or going nowhere). Not an inexpensive prospect. If you experiment with lubricants and you catch clutch slippage quickly enough, and change out the oil, you can usually save the clutch. But not a stress free way to ride.

There are plenty of lubricants that meet the BRP specs and work fine in the 998.

I am definitely an 'Out of the Box' kind of guy. But, it just isn't worth risking a clutch to go outside the box on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have been using it for 2 years and many thousands of miles and so far it seems to work fine. I remember seeing the warning about SM rating and looking for it on the bottles I had and it wasn't there. I am not at home right now,so when I get there I'll take a look and see. I also use Valvoline T4 10w40 and Royal Purple Synpower 10w40. They have all seemed good to me. ymmv
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-01-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

So I went home and looked at the Rotella T6 5w 40 bottles that I have on hand.These are the 1 gal jugs and none of them have an SM specification on them. In fact none of them had any S series speck on them,they were all C series. Just in case things have changed,I went yesterday to the local Walmart and looked at the T6 jugs there.Same thing,no SM spec. I do not think an SM rating is on Rotella T6 5w40. It may be hidden in a spec sheet somewhere or inferred from some other spec but so far I have not found it directly stated anywhere and I will continue to use it. UMMV.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So I went home and looked at the Rotella T6 5w 40 bottles that I have on hand.These are the 1 gal jugs and none of them have an SM specification on them. In fact none of them had any S series speck on them,they were all C series. Just in case things have changed,I went yesterday to the local Walmart and looked at the T6 jugs there.Same thing,no SM spec. I do not think an SM rating is on Rotella T6 5w40. It may be hidden in a spec sheet somewhere or inferred from some other spec but so far I have not found it directly stated anywhere and I will continue to use it. UMMV.

I posted a direct link to the manufactures data sheet for the Rotella T6 above. It does indeed have an SN rating and is contra-indicated for the 998 SE bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default sn rating on oil

Maybe Lamonster can answer this debate issue. He sells oil change kits for the 998. I don't think he would sell a product that would do harm to his lively hood