Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default An Offer

I would be happy to ride along with you to introduce you to Motosports in Hanover, PA. Also, if you like potato chips or pretzels, the Utz factory has an outlet in Hanover.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer, I have been out there a few times (not to UTZ). When I get the bike out of the hospital we will have to meet up for a ride. We travel a lot for work and will be gone pretty much all of June but should be in the area early July.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I would be happy to ride along with you to introduce you to Motosports in Hanover, PA. Also, if you like potato chips or pretzels, the Utz factory has an outlet in Hanover.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Early July

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I have been out there a few times (not to UTZ). When I get the bike out of the hospital we will have to meet up for a ride. We travel a lot for work and will be gone pretty much all of June but should be in the area early July.
    Look forward to it.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

I often wonder why so many put vibration dampers, as I never felt any vibration at all and did not really see the need for one. If this is truly what caused the problem an over tighten belt then explains why I did not have any vibration.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2015 RT with 30k miles., I added a vibration damper and have the extended BRP warranty. The pulley failed without warning on a ride away from hope. Other than the expensive flatbed tow, and the 3 week wait for warranty certification it went OK. They did charge a flat $50 for accessories (I.E. the vibration damper) but otherwise covered the repair ( I paid the $50 plus 200+ for the excess tow cost.) If you don't have a warranty the cost is $110 for the pulley and $15 for the new one time use bolt. Which means that of you are on the road, the cost for you to fix it its less than warranty and will save you three weeks of down-time and 10 hour wait for the tow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has BRP updated the Pulley yet???????????

Never heard of such a short pulley life with belt drive vehicles.

Is there something special about the Spyder that precludes such a short life?
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post

I think you mean 'includes' - yes, the name on the front.

Reliability isn't Spyder's strongest selling feature.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I think you mean 'includes' - yes, the name on the front.

Reliability isn't Spyder's strongest selling feature.
    Woops.............My bad.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I would have never expected this at only 1642 miles. Kind of frustrating for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would have never expected this at only 1642 miles. Kind of frustrating for sure.
    Did not someone say this is caused by the mounting bolt not being tight ?

You do NOT want the pulley to be made of harder material because.......then if it gets loose, the splines on the drive shaft might wear out instead, requiring an engine trear-down to fix.

Spyder Garage

Never said the bolt was not tight. Regardless of the cause I would think 1642 miles is not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

You do NOT want the pulley to be made of harder material because.......then if it gets loose, the splines on the drive shaft might wear out instead, requiring an engine trear-down to fix.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes some part or another has to be made to be sacrificial in order to avoid a major teardown of related components at a great increase in costs.

It would be nice if BRP could or would come up with a way to monitor the situation that was straightforward and, hopefully, easy to do that would give a reasonable timeframe to arrange for replacement before total failure.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never said the bolt was not tight. Regardless of the cause I would think 1642 miles is not the norm.
    Maybe someone else suggested that.
    Or course that failure is not "normal".

Spyder Garage

I had two failures. The first at 8k in August of 2016 and the second 8k later in August of 2017 (I think I may give up ryding in August). In neither case was the bolt loose. After the second failure the transmission was changed. Had we known it would have been done the first time around as BRP shipped in the only transmission they had on the shelf at the time because they didn't have any output shafts available and delivery was a month or two out. As yet no single cause has been identified.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Damn August is not a good month for you. I'm seeing a trend too last year I lost a month due to parking brake switch failure. Now this year second ride out and the longest of the two (32 Miles) and this happens. Although it is frustrating for the most part I'm a relaxed guy and a soon as I pick it up I'm sure I'll forget about the frustrations.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I had two failures. The first at 8k in August of 2016 and the second 8k later in August of 2017 (I think I may give up ryding in August). In neither case was the bolt loose. After the second failure the transmission was changed. Had we known it would have been done the first time around as BRP shipped in the only transmission they had on the shelf at the time because they didn't have any output shafts available and delivery was a month or two out. As yet no single cause has been identified.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Did not someone say this is caused by the mounting bolt not being tight ? snip>

That was the reason which BRP gave in their service bulletin for the failures on the early production Spyders, though their wording was 'inadequate clamping force of the pulley retaining bolt upon assembly.' Every Spyder was supposed to have the bolt up-torqued and its head marked with a X at service time to show that it had been done.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.