Thread: Shock

Spyder Garage

Default Shock

When riding alone do people ride on the soft setting or the hard setting. When riding 2 up the soft setting or the hard setting. Me and my wife often ride 2 up so i was just wondering. Thanks.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I leave my air bag on hardest setting all the time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No adjustment on my 2018 RTL ,but i find it rides very good ( better than my 05 goldwing i traded in ).
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    When riding alone do people ride on the soft setting or the hard setting. When riding 2 up the soft setting or the hard setting. Me and my wife often ride 2 up so i was just wondering. Thanks.
    It seems that most people do not make many adjustments to their suspension. I think that is why BRP and other manufacturers are going to computer controlled adjustments.

These suspension adjustments are designed to compensate for loading, and to a lesser degree, handling. So when you are riding 2-up you would want to use a stiffer setting. When riding 1-up and lightly loaded, you'd want to use the softer setting.

Add to this, if you are doing mostly interstate riding a relatively softer setting might be good. When riding mountain twisty roads, a relatively stiffer setting might do you better.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Try it out....

best way to know is to try it out. Ryde on soft setting alone then with the wife and the try both on the hard setting. I also leave it set on the lower side of hard....so above middle...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I pretty much leave ours at the "75%" setting alone and 2 up. Once in a while I'll bump it up to full when 2 up...It's your ride, play around til ya find the sweet spot for your style of riding. That's why it's there...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Headlights?

I leave near low one up, as you can see the headlights change vertically at night with different settings. Riding two up the headlights went up a bit and I was getting several cars flashing me. Went to one below max to bring them back down. I think if the headlights are aiming right, you are good; not so much ride quality. That may be why this feature is gone on the 2018's, they figured out how to keep it level with computers an sensors(?) - just more things to go awry?

Spyder Garage

I like mine on the softer side for both interstate and twisties. I usually ride set at the second from bottom setting. Loaded up, I bump it one more and if wifey climbs on I go to the maximum. I have never had a bottoming out problem
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I kept it at the middle setting since I got it, which hasn't been too long. Last Saturday I was out 2up with the wife and bumped it up one. Didn't feel too different. Next time I will bump it up one more and see how it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It seems that most people do not make many adjustments to their suspension. I think that is why BRP and other manufacturers are going to computer controlled adjustments.

These suspension adjustments are designed to compensate for loading, and to a lesser degree, handling. So when you are riding 2-up you would want to use a stiffer setting. When riding 1-up and lightly loaded, you'd want to use the softer setting.

Add to this, if you are doing mostly interstate riding a relatively softer setting might be good. When riding mountain twisty roads, a relatively stiffer setting might do you better.
    Good advice!

When riding solo on my RSS; I always used position 2 (of 5) on the rear shock. When riding two up, I dialed the shock pre-load up to position 4; which gave me ride and handling/steering quality very similar (if not the same) to riding solo.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags