Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CanAm's Learn To Ride Course?

Just got an e-mail that CanAm's 2-Day Learn to Ride Course (for $75) is being offered within reasonable distance of where I live.

I'm looking for some feedback on the course from those who have taken it. Last year, when I bought my Spyder, I would have jumped right on this. Now - a year and 8000 miles later - I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile for me. I don't need any MC certification, and I'm now comfortable and confident when riding.

Has anyone taken this course after already having a decent amount of experience riding your Spyder? If so, what did you think of it?

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard lots of positive feedback from others who have taken the course. Were you a brand new rider when you got your Spyder? If so you really should take the class.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Just got an e-mail that CanAm's 2-Day Learn to Ride Course (for $75) is being offered within reasonable distance of where I live.

I'm looking for some feedback on the course from those who have taken it. Last year, when I bought my Spyder, I would have jumped right on this. Now - a year and 8000 miles later - I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile for me. I don't need any MC certification, and I'm now comfortable and confident when riding.

Has anyone taken this course after already having a decent amount of experience riding your Spyder? If so, what did you think of it?

Thanks!
    I have always learned something useful from every training class I have taken.

What do you have to lose?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I have always learned something useful from every training class I have taken.

What do you have to lose?
    A big +1!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Newbert...
    I took the class less than a month ago thru RiderEd NJ.
    I had been riding on 2 wheels for over 25 years, small and mid size cruisers.
    I bought my ST-S in January and had put about 600 miles on by the time I took the course.
    Being new to Spyder, I found the course useful, mainly since I had my own bike and was able to push it in a controlled environment and get feedback from the instructor.
    I also gained some awareness of some bad habits I had developed over the years.
    So for me, it was worth 75 bux and 2 days time.

However, the class was very much a Beginner course, so after 8000 miles, you might find it exceedingly basic..I did at some parts.

My wife who has been on pillion for 20+ will be taking the same class in September and I expect she will get a lot from it.
    Good luck and enjoy it if you go!
    Last edited by Raprider; 06-01-2018 at 06:16 AM.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

And....check with your insurance. Some of them give a little price break if you've done a safety training course.

All I can say is, safety is key and they teach you how to stomp those breaks or drift....safely. (at least mine did) 2 days, $75 bucks, never know what you might learn if you are open to some ideas, not only with the instructors but with your fellow class mates.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My wife is taking it next weekend in NY.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took it about a month ago and it gave me some additional pointers with braking and turning. How to lean into the curve and making the anti-dive kick in. It wasn't a 2 day class but a half day that finished early. I got some pictures of some friends taking the class and they want you to ride hard to get the feel of these bikes so one rider got his wheel up in the turns. I would like it if it was a 2 day class as many Spyder riders are also very new and need basic motorcycle awareness instruction as well as the riding part. You can either ride your bike or theirs.

fullsizeoutput_b1a.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I took the course last week and highly recommend taking it. I had to take the course to get my endorsement. The instructors were awesome. I brought my own spyder, but when I got to the class I found out that Can-am gave them 4 spyders to use for the course. The spyders that Can-am gave them are a 2016 f3 sm6 limited, 2017 f3s se6, 2016 rt-s, and a 2016 rt limited. I bought my spyder in September of last year and have put 2500 miles on it so far and still learned some tips and pointers. It's a great time to try out other models and the best $75 I ever spent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Missus got the email. (I didn't!). I've got her thinking about it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default CanAm course

I took the course in April 2018. I have already put over 30,000 miles on a Spyder. I still found the course informative and worthwhile for the $75.

Spyder Garage

My 26 year old son took the course and so did my brother in laws girl friend. Worth the money if only for the head knowledge. Safety first.

Spyder Garage

I took the course after having ridden a Spyder for a couple years because my wife was taking it and I wanted to support her. I told the instructor that I wanted to test myself and the bike to see what we could do but under controlled conditions. He agreed. I did get the fastest time for the class in the slalom, however she got a higher overall score than I did. Yes it was a worthwhile experience for both of us.

Spyder Garage

I signed my wife up for the course last March. She has never had an interest in learning how to ride (2 wheel or the Spyder) but we had a bike trip coming up in April and she needed to be licensed in case she needed to take over driving. I have health issues.

$75 for the course and she gets her MC endorsement on her license. Can't beat that. Normally in Texas the course is $200+

Anyway I think I created a monster because soon after she completed the course, she wanted to take the Spyder around the neighborhood. No problem. Then she wanted to take it into town. Uh ok.

Next thing I know she takes the Spyder to work!

It was like "I don't want to drive, I don't want to drive, I don't want to.... give me the keys!"

She did most of the driving on our trip and she did great.

Spyder Garage

Default Too far away...

I'd love to take this course, but living in BFE Ohio, there aren't any remotely close to me !

Spyder Garage

Rider magazine gave BRP a little blurb about the course. Sounds very good for the price.

I wonder if it had anything to do with BRP's full page ad in the same issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I took the course after she had put about 600 miles on her F3S. She has been a two wheel rider since 2000 and I have almost 40 years of riding (still not an expert). It was a great course. She said there were parts that she already knew but for me I learned something on every maneuver. Her end result was that she would take it again in a couple of years just for a refresher course and it did give us a discount with our insurance.

I would honestly recommend it for new and experienced riders. There is always something you can learn or be refreshed on.

John