Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder is REALLY different - tried test ride, barely made it out of the dealer's lot

A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    Took me about 100 miles of various roads to get used to it...All smiles after that.. The first time I rode it there was snow on the ground...so it went from the driveway to the garage. Almost drove through the bacj garage wall grabbing for the brake with my right hand...LOL...It's all good now!!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah you have to get use to the Push- pull of the handlebars to turn. Take your time and it does come natural after a bit of driving.

Spyder Garage

I have over 50 years of single track riding. It ain't that hard. Took about 500 miles and all has been good.

Spyder Garage

You aren't alone. I've often heard that it's actually easier for non-2 wheel riders to learn to Spyder ride due to that muscle memory. If this is still interesting to you, remind yourself that this is like a new beast. You'll learn something new all over again. It is just like going from a car to a big rig truck, will take time to (re) learn some new tricks.

Even as a new rider, I had to tell myself, "remember what it was like at 15 yrs old and learning to drive a car?" THAT feeling. That newness, that remembering where everything was and what to hit first.

Lastly, relaxing vs fighting the steering is key. BF is a 2 wheel rider, and did the 3 wheel endorsement class by riding a F3 manual, and really enjoyed it. Last week, he took my F3-L for a spin, and first thing he said when he was back, "you have to relax and not fight the steering, once you do that, it's a hell of a fun ride."

I smiled at him and said, "I know."

It's a hell of a fun ride....really.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Yup! Lots of things to "unlearn" if you are coming off of two wheels.

It does take 100 to 500 miles to "learn" how to . They are different from two.

It took me almost 1000 miles to "learn."

You can do it...but you have to give it a good honest try if you want to learn.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

I'm 71 now .... have ridden every Mtc. you can name .... Took my first test ride back in Aug. of 09 ....Traded my 03 Wing on the spot for an 08 GS ...... It took me 10 min. to make a successful switch .... The Salesman told me to drive the Spyder ..." Just Like a Car " ..... I had NO issues making the transition ....... I can now drive my RT almost as fast as most of the Hot Two wheelers I owned ....... read the " Do's and Do Not's " ( on the General Forum ) before you test again ...... jmho .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-31-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go spend some time riding ATVs and snowmobiles: the best training that you can get!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So when you hopped on your first two wheeler (powered or not), 50 years ago, you didn’t fall off a few times until you got used to it, Rodent? You didn’t find it vastly different from walking on two legs? It’s exactly the same thing. I just think that 50 years may have erased the memories of how tricky it was riding two wheels at first

I actually followed the salesman out of the car park on my first test ride, and found myself turning TOWARD the oncoming traffic (must have been countersteering). Frightened the heck out of me, but I could see potential. I still bought one, and held it in one heck of a chokehold for the first 50 miles, cursing my decision, and feeling like a menace to others, just like you did. But then suddenly I started loosening up, and the last 150 miles were pretty good. Not fast, but pretty good. As others have said, it can take a thousand miles or so to get used to it, it can be immediate, or in very, very rare cases, you never get used to it. Others have given you tips on how to speed up the “feeling comfortable” cycle.

I just get the feeling from the content of your email, and the way you have expressed your concerns, that you will be one of the riders saying “this thing is great” after a couple of hundred miles.....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Go spend some time riding ATVs OR snowmobiles: the best training that you can get!!
    One or the other will suffice, no need for both.

But yeah, since I had Quad experience the Sypder was second nature for me. Quads are harder to master with that stupid thumb throttle! If you can get the Quads down your transition should be cake....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default No problem....

Let that experience sink in and you will find yourself thinking what should have I done. You will be back and master the beast and when you do you will be wondering why you waited so long. It's not a two wheeler don't ryde it like one don't expect it to act like one and enjoy the new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of it more as a 3-wheeled sports car with handlebars.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Go spend some time riding ATVs and snowmobiles: the best training that you can get!!
    Well, I suppose that makes sense. You probably won't be surprised to hear that I've never been on either an ATV or a snowmobile in my life.
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So when you hopped on your first two wheeler (powered or not), 50 years ago, you didn’t fall off a few times until you got used to it, Rodent? You didn’t find it vastly different from walking on two legs? It’s exactly the same thing. I just think that 50 years may have erased the memories of how tricky it was riding two wheels at first.
    Oh, I did, indeed. My first time on a MC was on a dirt bike on my cousin's farm - rather a better newbie environment than downtown Denver...

I'm thinking I might give one of those Can-Am "learn to ride" classes a try. Figure out the basic operating procedures in a more controlled environment.
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Well spent $75

Oh, I did, indeed. My first time on a MC was on a dirt bike on my cousin's farm - rather a better newbie environment than downtown Denver...

I'm thinking I might give one of those Can-Am "learn to ride" classes a try. Figure out the basic operating procedures in a more controlled environment.
    Take the class it will be $75 well spent.

As as others have said after a few hundred miles you will be a happy ryder.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Take a msf course on the three wheeled bikes that's what I did.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ATV's etc.

Bob do you think that may be a little complicated ....not to mention Expensive .... I think there are much less costly alternatives ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

From a Spyder newbie's perspective...I'd agree with others on +/- 500 miles or so...I'm at just about 1k and feeling very comfortable! First hundred or 2 I thought "oh my...why?"

I did take the 3WBRC class earlier this month, but I'd already clocked about 600 by then...for me it was more of a chance to push limits in a controlled environment with instructor feedback...and a safety skills refresher.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I did the Learn to Ride class in WA, which graduated me into an endorsement. Honestly, best thing I did. Not only the basics, but also I had instructors that pushed a little, which was great since it's a safe environment. Ex. Probably wouldn't have learned that drifting is actually a thing you can/want to do if the circumstances warrant it. I recommend it.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I have drove 2 wheel's since 1968 , snow machines at around the same time and atv"s in the 80"s . Spyder has become second nature ,now if i can figure out that dam dash.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Definitely worth the extra effort to learn the difference between the two. I think you will find that after about 300-500 mi. you will be very glad you hung in there ..!!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

I was selling my sidecar unit (a few years ago) A older BMW cyclist who wanted to try out a 3 wheeler, It was a nightmare. He could not keep the unit on the road. From one ditch to the other side into a ditch. He just couldn't relax and drive the unit in a
    straight line. Scared the crap out of me. He decided a small sports car was more in his future. Try again but do a short ride in
    a parking lot to get used to all the functions.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think if you would take sometime on one you would find you would like it. I am like you I have been riding motorcycles since 1955 63 years. I have rode several 100,000 miles.
    Here was my first experience.

I purchased a 2015 RT that had 10,200 miles on it. This was the first used motorcycle I have ever purchased. The reason I did not purchase a new one I was not sure I would like a Spyder. I have rode motorcycles long enough that no one has to tell me how to lean what foot to push and all the other twist you have to do to make a turn. Where I purchased it was over 80 miles from my home. I had never test rode one or even set on one until I purchased it. I traded a 2015 Gold Wing F6B for it. I made the deal for it and the Honda dealer started it up for me. He said he did not know anything about Spyders. I left his shop and about three blocks down the street I stop at a red light and just fooling around with it I shut the motor off. Light changed it would not start it was dead. I had traffic backed up. I call the dealer on my cell phone and by the time he got on the phone which was a while. I had shut the switch off. He told me you have to turn the switch on and wait for a little while then push mod button then hold the brake to start it. That was my first experience. It was a windy day and going home it was all over the road and no body showed me how to use the speed control so I rode all way home without the speed control. I knew as many Spyder’s there were on the road and the amount of people purchasing them that it was not right. I read the manual and the first thing I learned how the speed control worked. I started checking tire pressure. One front tire had 8 pounds and the other had 12 pounds and the rear had 18 pounds and not much tread. I aired the tires correctly and put air in the air bag under the seat. I took it for a ride the next day and it sure rode different but I knew they rode better than it did or people would not be buying them. I really enjoy riding now I would not want to go back to two wheels. It is just learning how.
    Last edited by gerald37; 05-31-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

It takes a bit to unlearn when coming from a two wheeler to a Spyder!! That being said. I tried to thumb **** my Street Glide yesterday. We aren’t getting any younger!!
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Took me a few hundred miles, now I ride both.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White