Spyder Garage

Default Recommended age of tires

My daughter and I have a couple of Can Am Spyders. I have a 2013 RT Limited and she has a 2011 RSS. Both were purchased with very little miles last year. My RT had 600 miles and hers had 3110 miles on it. Tires on both look brand new BUT from my experience here in Florida a tire can look new and be no good due to age. Recently had friends boat trailers blow out due to age, tire looked brand new since it was just sitting without being used. I have been looking online to see what that "age" is on the Kenda OEM tires and cannot find a reference. Does anyone on this website know how long a tire is good for even if it has no wear? I am now concerned that we are risking blowouts like my friends boat trailers. Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Consenses seems to be in the five to seven* years old range. When in doubt, change them out. Safety first.

*Edited based on "current" information.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am 100% sure that these tires are what came original with the can am's since both were not being riden by original owners. So in my case the tires are 5 years old and my daughters are 7 years old. Wow- need to go looking for new tires!!! ASAP!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tie life

It's complicated - if they are new never mounted in a tire ware-house Seven years would be the MAX .... On a Vehicle now I would be re-placing if 5 yrs. old .......... Ultra-violet plays hell with tires so anything that sits in the sun Ages quicker ............ Someone will post - how to know the DATE the tire was made from the code on the sidewall ( all tires must have this ).... I forget how at the moment .... Mike .............PS since you already have the tires I would examine them very closely for cracks in the side wall area
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-31-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

The DOT # has the week and year of manufacture. IE; DOT 3316 means the tire was mfg the 33rd week of 2016. ANY tire reaching it's 7th birthday is dangerous regardless of how little use and how good it may look. Those tires on heavy vehicles like big trucks, motorhomes, etc. are especially susceptible to failure. The tires rot or breakdown from the inside over time. Heat is a killer for tires. Here in Arid-Zone-A, there is a tire store on almost every corner for good reason.

My personal opinion about the OEM Kendas is that they should be replaced regardless of age. My front OEMs suffered tread separation and became dangerous while still looking very good and with well under 8K miles. But the great tire debate has been hashed multiple times here. You just do not want an old tire to fail because age related failures usually occur suddenly. Not like a slow leak.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 05-31-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread has got me thinking about my tires now, too.

Right now, I have about 8500 miles on the OEM tires. I don't THINK that I ride aggressively .... I'd say I'm usually 5-10 mph over the limit in the curves on back roads (99% of my riding). Is that considered aggressive?

I was already considering getting car tires installed on my F3T at Spyderquest in early September, because I estimate that I'd be at 11000 miles by that time. Now, I'm thinking that perhaps I shouldn't wait that long?

Please note that I just got the annual NYS safety inspection done (which I assume includes tires), and the Spyder passed with no problems. Not even a mention of tire issues.

So, am I being paranoid? Can I wait until early September and a total of 11 - 12,000 miles on the OEM tires before getting new tires?

Thanks.
    Bert

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE AGE

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    This thread has got me thinking about my tires now, too.

Right now, I have about 8500 miles on the OEM tires. I don't THINK that I ride aggressively .... I'd say I'm usually 5-10 mph over the limit in the curves on back roads (99% of my riding). Is that considered aggressive?

I was already considering getting car tires installed on my F3T at Spyderquest in early September, because I estimate that I'd be at 11000 miles by that time. Now, I'm thinking that perhaps I shouldn't wait that long?

Please note that I just got the annual NYS safety inspection done (which I assume includes tires), and the Spyder passed with no problems. Not even a mention of tire issues.

So, am I being paranoid? Can I wait until early September and a total of 11 - 12,000 miles on the OEM tires before getting new tires?

Thanks.
    Miles ??? .... you are talking about something else ..... this thread is about ....AGE ..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Newbert:
    Judge your tires by Age or by Used-up tread, whichever comes first. I have just mounted my third rear tire because I used up the tread, but the front tires still have lots of tread at 54,000+ miles. At only three years old, they don't worry me one bit. If your tires are more than 5-6 years old, seriously consider replacing them. Otherwise...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Miles ??? .... you are talking about something else ..... this thread is about ....AGE ..............Mike
    Well, I guess this is what got me thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    .......My personal opinion about the OEM Kendas is that they should be replaced regardless of age. My front OEMs suffered tread separation and became dangerous while still looking very good and with well under 8K miles. But the great tire debate has been hashed multiple times here. You just do not want an old tire to fail because age related failures usually occur suddenly. Not like a slow leak.....
    Bert

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i look at age and rubber rot/cracking between tread & on sidewall besides tread depth

Spyder Garage

I would change them out. The tires on my 08 GS are the originals. They look great, nice deep treads...but they do not grip...not even on the driest road. They only have about 4000 miles on them. Also, since I was in and out of the country for the past 5 years, the Spyder was in the garage and went through all the seasonal temperature changes, which I heard takes a toll on tires. But, I am getting new tires today!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Consenses seems to be in the five to seven* years old range. When in doubt, change them out. Safety first.

*Edited based on "current" information.
    I'd like to suggest also look at weather extremes for where the bike has been owned and garaged … excess cold or heat … I lived in the Middle East off and on for quite a few years … both the UAE and Oman mandated the tires were good for 3 years … the fourth year you could not get a roadworthy inspection approved without their replacement … Again use common sense … If I personally had tires on a car 5 years old … they wouldn't be, irrespective of their appearance!