Spyder Garage

Default Block Off Plate ?

Everyone
    We have a 2013 RTL thinking of getting one of these. Just wondering if/when it is installed what will it do as far as the heat work that as already been done. Yes it will stop my right foot/leg from toasting but will it restrict any cooling etc. Thanks Guys

Dave

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I did on the 2013 RT I had. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=block+plate

You do need to open up the plastic behind the radiator so the air has somewhere to go. I blocked off the upper hole because that's the one that cooked my foot when I had it up on the foot peg.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did a similar operation to mine, though without the grill, that is a nice touch.

I used a hole saw and cut MANY holes on the plastic below the fan and behind it as well. I cut holes everywhere that I could get the saw, it is truly a Swiss cheese looking piece now.

WARNING: when you do this, be very careful about what is behind the hole you are drilling. There are radiator hoses and such that may or could develop an unfortunate encounter. (So I have heard)

Dont worry about how it looks or concerns of spacing or structural integrity with this part, it is all covered up. Just let it breathe!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Fire34, You can get that 2014 RT Right side grill and lower block off plate for about $21.00 (Part #705004803 Right Side vent), minor adjustment and it fits right in. I did it as one of my first mods to my '13 RTL based on Rob's Mods and Farkles thread from years ago. And as others have stated above, after ventilating the radiator outflow area with hole saws or I used a dremel (which likely took a lot longer) pop the BRP part in and if you use highway pegs you definitely want to block the back of the upper grill to force all the hot air down and out.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 06-01-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: corrected link to Rob's mod
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I did a similar operation to mine, though without the grill, that is a nice touch.

I used a hole saw and cut MANY holes on the plastic below the fan and behind it as well. I cut holes everywhere that I could get the saw, it is truly a Swiss cheese looking piece now.

WARNING: when you do this, be very careful about what is behind the hole you are drilling. There are radiator hoses and such that may or could develop an unfortunate encounter. (So I have heard)

Dont worry about how it looks or concerns of spacing or structural integrity with this part, it is all covered up. Just let it breathe!

Joe
    Did the same thing with my wife's 2012 RT Limited and the results are good. She rode it from San Antonio to Tucson and Bisbee, Arizona and back this past march and didn't complain about heat at all (and the temps throughout the trip were in the 70s and 80s).
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)