Spyder Garage

Default I got the HELITE turtle airbag vest...

brand new rider here--the airbag is probably overkill but treated myself for my birthday--havent yet attached it to the trike but wanted to let you all know how it works out; and if anyone already has been using one, would love to hear any helpful tips...i got the yellow one and it looks like I should be directing traffic at a school crossing or a flagman on a utility job site--not exactly high style

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    brand new rider here--the airbag is probably overkill but treated myself for my birthday--havent yet attached it to the trike but wanted to let you all know how it works out; and if anyone already has been using one, would love to hear any helpful tips...i got the yellow one and it looks like I should be directing traffic at a school crossing or a flagman on a utility job site--not exactly high style
    ...but visible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What ever it takes to make you feel safe is what you should go with. I just got back from running an errand and pulled into an Autozone with my mesh jacket, gloves, etc. The guy at the register said, "dang, you must be about to faint." I explained that I had on a mesh jacket with padding and I always ride with some sort of jacket to at least make me feel like I am better protected. He explained that he and his guys ride with shorts, flip flops, tank tops or no shirts when it is this hot and humid. I thought he was going to say he rode a sport bike (the guy was young), but he said he rides a harley (I was on my M109). I said hey, whatever works for you. But I am just getting to old to be having a skin graph. We both laughed and went our way.
    So, whatever makes you feel safe, is what you should use. Main thing, enjoy your ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats!

We have some ryders that use them as well. Here's a local story that I posted earlier on Spyderlovers - enjoy! - It will make you glad you bought one.

Posted on 9-14-16 Air Vest saves life

Airbag Vest Saves Can Am Rider In T-Bone Accident

FYI...from an earlier post of mine last year.....good outcome!

Just saw this article....sorry if it's a duplicate. This happened in MN at the end of July 2016. Thought I would share a good outcome considering a crash and the rider being thrown from the bike.

Article:

The huge amounts of money poured into the development of self-inflating vests that deploy in the case of an accident are not in vain. An elderly rider got miraculously saved in an accident by one of them airbag-fitted protective garments.

According to a report, Jim Rasmussen, 74, got involved in a crash this summer while riding his Can-Am roadster and lived to tell the story. He was riding to Glenwood, Minnesota, and right before an intersection, a car pulled out in front of the trike, sending him flying 12 to 15 feet into the air.

The first responders soon arrived at the scene and were staggered to see the man lying on the ground but looking totally fine and being conscious. After what they’ve been through, such accidents usually end up nasty, so you can imagine the confusion.

Then they saw a tethered cord and asked Jim what it was. Rasmussen responded it was his vest, an airbag vest, actually. With the situation understood, the paramedics canceled the LifeLink helicopter that had been dispatched, and took Jim to a hospital with an ambulance.

Jim and his wife have been riding together for 40 years, clocking around 400,000 miles (643,700 km), but never went without protective gear. “We have always had gear on,” said Jim. “It’s hideously expensive, but definitely worth it.”

The Helite vest he was wearing saved his life and even spared him of other traumas. He was ready to go home after one night at the hospital. The vest uses a rigid neck brace and firm support to the back and chest.

It gets tethered to the handlebars of the motorcycle and in case you fly off, a spring-loaded piston pierces the CO2 cartridge on the front, instantly inflating the airbag around the neck and body.

Mr. Jim traded his BMW motorcycle last fall for the Can-Am Spyder to offer him more stability as his riding skills started to wear off with age. Still, he didn’t give up on the amount of riding gear he wore.

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ai...#ixzz4KGTe6H00
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-30-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Being visable is a big plus will help you to never need the vest...safety is #1
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't help but wonder how that fits in with the discussion about cooling and ventilated riding gear when it is HOT out.
    It would be a shame to "test" the vest because you passed out from the heat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"The Helite vest he was wearing saved his life and even spared him of other traumas. He was ready to go home after one night at the hospital. The vest uses a rigid neck brace and firm support to the back and chest.

It gets tethered to the handlebars of the motorcycle and in case you fly off, a spring-loaded piston pierces the CO2 cartridge on the front, instantly inflating the airbag around the neck and body."

I've always maintained that protective gear is less important on a Spyder because the risk of 'falling down' is virtually nil and if you come off the bike in a collision, the protective gear isn't going to help much anyway. This article causes me to reconsider; this product could be a good investment, if it doesn't cause the body to heat up even more in hot conditions. Thanks for the thread; I'll look into this and similar products now.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

the vest is kinda heavy, and not too ventilating--did you ever end up buying something