Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Spyder Garage

After reading the last page of this thread------ I'm glad I chose Monster Fuel Injection. Just wish the roads were clear of snow so I could run the with the Flashed ( plug and Play ) installed.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yea finally got thru to em , wrong cable they Fed ex one for monday morning . Iv'e had PC on all my machines since my Honda CBR F2 and have never had a major problem with any of the units over the years So I don't think they will mess this up ,they been doing this 30 plus years So I got no issues with them .
    Best about it {once working of course} is you have control over tunes instead of having to ship out for any thing needed to be done , now if they had OTA updates like Tesla

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post
    Yea finally got thru to em , wrong cable they Fed ex one for monday morning . Iv'e had PC on all my machines since my Honda CBR F2 and have never had a major problem with any of the units over the years So I don't think they will mess this up ,they been doing this 30 plus years So I got no issues with them .
    Best about it {once working of course} is you have control over tunes instead of having to ship out for any thing needed to be done , now if they had OTA updates like Tesla
    Did you receive the right cable?...if so...does it work?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddjim View Post
    i received this today from maptunerx.
    Thanks for your email.
    We have stage 1 and stage 2 for your 2017 spyder f3s daytona
    Stage 1 + 7Hp
    Stage 2 with sport exhaust +9Hp
    Tune will only affect sport mode.
    Speed Limiter is removed with both stages.
    dynojet told me to expect around 10%hp gain with the powervision v3.
    power gains seem low compared to the monster fuel tunes +22hp ?.
    would be interesting to know what monsters secret sauce is as 22%hp gain seems high for a naturally aspirated engine re-map
    The reason why monster is putting out more horsepower than dynotune is because dynotune is only upgrading the software, While Monster opens the ECU box, Replaces hardware components on the ECU board AND Upgrade the software. thats why it cost more and has to be sent in!!!. the only advantage I see of dynotune is that you can tune multiple vehicles with one unit IF you pay additional money. the Disadvantage on dynotune is that you get less horsepower gain ratings...the only disadvantage of monster is you have to remove the ecu and air box lid and send it in to their facility. A lot of people are not that mechanic inclined to do that. I`m glad I am... monster is the better deal overall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    The reason why monster is putting out more horsepower than dynotune is because dynotune is only upgrading the software, While Monster opens the ECU box, Replaces hardware components on the ECU board AND Upgrade the software. thats why it cost more and has to be sent in!!!. the only advantage I see of dynotune is that you can tune multiple vehicles with one unit IF you pay additional money. the Disadvantage on dynotune is that you get less horsepower gain ratings...the only disadvantage of monster is you have to remove the ecu and air box lid and send it in to their facility. A lot of people are not that mechanic inclined to do that. I`m glad I am... monster is the better deal overall.
    If Monster is really adding/changing hardware inside the ECU (I've never heard this from anyone else), then you are for sure going to void your warranty. With the Dyno Powervision you can easily flash back to stock.
    I don't doubt the Monster and other 'ship and flash' places work good, but their gain claims seem exaggerated and I've never seen any Dyno's provided by them.
    The PowerVision claims are much more reasonable and DynoJet has a long history on doing this.
    You can buy extra licenses and do more than one Spyder, or even get an unlimited 'garage' license and do tunes for others.... similar to what Monster is doing....without the alleged electronic modifications--- which I find very hard to believe.
    No way would I want them permanently changing internal hardware on the ECU...…

My PowerVision should be in later this week, although it's not riding season up here in Michigan...

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If Monster is really adding/changing hardware inside the ECU (I've never heard this from anyone else), then you are for sure going to void your warranty. With the Dyno Powervision you can easily flash back to stock.
    I don't doubt the Monster and other 'ship and flash' places work good, but their gain claims seem exaggerated and I've never seen any Dyno's provided by them.
    The PowerVision claims are much more reasonable and DynoJet has a long history on doing this.
    You can buy extra licenses and do more than one Spyder, or even get an unlimited 'garage' license and do tunes for others.... similar to what Monster is doing....without the alleged electronic modifications--- which I find very hard to believe.
    No way would I want them permanently changing internal hardware on the ECU...…

My PowerVision should be in later this week, although it's not riding season up here in Michigan...
    the ECU can be put back to standard configuration at the customer request..I just send it back..ask yourself...why do monster request to send the ECU in...just to program it?...hhhhmmm...NO!!....chances are theyre upgrading/replacing the EEPROM hardware/software to a LARGER BYTE SPACE EEPROM (more room for the enhanced software) combined with the enhanced software which makes sense. thats why you get more true horsepower...similiar to upgrading the speed/memory on a computer (hardware upgrade/replacement). Software only goes so far. With that being said Monster to me is better. better yet..when you get your powervision...race someone who has a monster and see who wins...shouldnt be hard to find a competitor....and when you do, post it ...inquiring minds wants to know the results.

Spyder Garage

Inquiring minds want to know...has anyone had engine or transmission problems after having monster flash their ECU? Stage 1 or 2?
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

my only problem is i cant stop spinning rear tire and smiling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know...has anyone had engine or transmission problems after having monster flash their ECU? Stage 1 or 2?
    None that I have heard of and if anyone would have experienced it, it would have been Dennis with his RT. He flogged that poor thing mercilessly being the "test mule" for the initial development of the Stage 1 flash. He said it was running just as strong when he traded in for an F3T....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

When it was pointed out to me that the Powervision was now available I looked and it does list some Spyders if you use the vehicle fitment search. They only list the RT for 2016-2017 and the F3 for 2015-2018. So I emailed them about the availability of one for my Spyder (2013 RT-S) and this was their response:
    "The PowerVision has the ability to work on your model. The problem is that there are many stock files from Canam for each model and if we have not seen that file yet then we would need you to send in your ECM. Once we have that we can get you a tune to start with. We won't know if this is the case until you get the PV and connect to the vehicle though."
    So they don't know if it will work until you plug it in, assuming they send you the right cable. Then if they don't have any tunes for it, I would have to send the ECU to them. They make up a generic tune and then you have to play with it. I read the pdf they have on how to use their software and it was like reading a DOS manual. I don't want to hook up a laptop to my spyder and spend hours playing and testing with no idea what I am doing.
    I did email Steve at Monster and he answered all my questions and there are so many good reviews on here that my ECU in now on its way to Monster. I did ask him for dyno charts and he did send them to me. Stock verses stage 1 and 2, HP and torque.
    998_HP_stk_stg1_stg2-1.jpg
    998_TQ_stk_stg1_stg2.jpg

Spyder Garage

the ECU can be put back to standard configuration at the customer request..I just send it back..ask yourself...why do monster request to send the ECU in...just to program it?...hhhhmmm...NO!!....chances are theyre upgrading/replacing the EEPROM hardware/software which makes sense. thats why you get more true horsepower...similiar to upgrading the speed/memory on a computer (hardware upgrade/replacement). Software only goes so far. With that being said Monster to me is better. better yet..when you get your powervision...race someone who has a monster and see who wins...shouldnt be hard to find a competitor....and when you do, post it ...inquiring minds wants to know the results.
    So you're not sure they upgrade any electronics.. you're just guessing?
    You have to send it in because the average joe simply doesn't have the computer hookup to make the adjustments... which is probably done with either BUDS or something similar to the Power Vision. There should be no need to upgrade any electronics in the ECU.. because it's already programmable.
    Racing is fun, but really not a good judge of such improvements.. because the #1 variable in a race is the rider and the launch. That's why Dyno results are a good thing to look at instead.
    I'm betting the Power Vision can do the same thing as these 'ship and flash' guys are doing... might even be able to copy their maps and use them.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

the ECU can be put back to standard configuration at the customer request..I just send it back..ask yourself...why do monster request to send the ECU in...just to program it?...hhhhmmm...NO!!....chances are theyre upgrading/replacing the EEPROM hardware/software which makes sense. thats why you get more true horsepower...similiar to upgrading the speed/memory on a computer (hardware upgrade/replacement). Software only goes so far. With that being said Monster to me is better. better yet..when you get your powervision...race someone who has a monster and see who wins...shouldnt be hard to find a competitor....and when you do, post it ...inquiring minds wants to know the results.
    monster can flash the ecu without splitting the ecu only in Canada though .why do monster request to send the ECU in. how would they flash it if you didn't monster dump your stock file edit it then flash it back to the ecu. it seems dynojet and maptunerx have removed the speed limiter monster hasn't managed to crack
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdp1308 View Post
    When it was pointed out to me that the Powervision was now available I looked and it does list some Spyders if you use the vehicle fitment search. They only list the RT for 2016-2017 and the F3 for 2015-2018. So I emailed them about the availability of one for my Spyder (2013 RT-S) and this was their response:
    "The PowerVision has the ability to work on your model. The problem is that there are many stock files from Canam for each model and if we have not seen that file yet then we would need you to send in your ECM. Once we have that we can get you a tune to start with. We won't know if this is the case until you get the PV and connect to the vehicle though."
    So they don't know if it will work until you plug it in, assuming they send you the right cable. Then if they don't have any tunes for it, I would have to send the ECU to them. They make up a generic tune and then you have to play with it. I read the pdf they have on how to use their software and it was like reading a DOS manual. I don't want to hook up a laptop to my spyder and spend hours playing and testing with no idea what I am doing.
    I did email Steve at Monster and he answered all my questions and there are so many good reviews on here that my ECU in now on its way to Monster. I did ask him for dyno charts and he did send them to me. Stock verses stage 1 and 2, HP and torque.
    998_HP_stk_stg1_stg2-1.jpg
    998_TQ_stk_stg1_stg2.jpg
    Thanks for the Dyno maps …… However there are THREE lines and NONE are identified ……….. at least none that I can see …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So you're not sure they upgrade any electronics.. you're just guessing?
    You have to send it in because the average joe simply doesn't have the computer hookup to make the adjustments... which is probably done with either BUDS or something similar to the Power Vision. There should be no need to upgrade any electronics in the ECU.. because it's already programmable.
    Racing is fun, but really not a good judge of such improvements.. because the #1 variable in a race is the rider and the launch. That's why Dyno results are a good thing to look at instead.
    I'm betting the Power Vision can do the same thing as these 'ship and flash' guys are doing... might even be able to copy their maps and use them.....
    You will not be able to read your ECU with this tuner as we all thought. You can write to it but not read it on the Can am Models

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for the Dyno maps …… However there are THREE lines and NONE are identified ……….. at least none that I can see …… Mike
    This has always been the challenge with Steve. What he says and sends can differ greatly and what you actually get is almost indecipherable.... I have dyno graphs that look like a 3yr old was let loose with the graphing paper! Even though I am happy with his Stage 1 that I have, I am hesitant to send it back for the "new and improved" Stage 1 much less the Stage 2 at this point.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    This has always been the challenge with Steve. What he says and sends can differ greatly and what you actually get is almost indecipherable.... I have dyno graphs that look like a 3yr old was let loose with the graphing paper! Even though I am happy with his Stage 1 that I have, I am hesitant to send it back for the "new and improved" Stage 1 much less the Stage 2 at this point.
    What is this “new & improved” you speak of? I just sent mine back (still waiting on it’s return) am I going to be new & improved or old & worsen?

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering the same thing??? Just installed the stage 1 flashed ECU in my 2014 RTS. Improved or not??? Enquiring minds want to know.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-28-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

What is this “new & improved” you speak of? I just sent mine back (still waiting on it’s return) am I going to be new & improved or old & worsen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing??? Just installed the stage 1 flashed ECU in my 2014 RTS. Improved or not??? Enquiring minds want to know.

Lew L
    In an email chain I received from Dennis who has just jumped to the Stage 2 but hasn't tested it yet, Steve stated he has made some improvements to the Stage 1 flash as well.... So most likely you both will end up with the newer version I would imagine. But who knows....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    In an email chain I received from Dennis who has just jumped to the Stage 2 but hasn't tested it yet, Steve stated he has made some improvements to the Stage 1 flash as well.... So most likely you both will end up with the newer version I would imagine. But who knows....
    That's very interesting...its getting better..that's just stage I...imagine stage II.

Spyder Garage

This is from an email conversation I had with Steve from Monster. If this doesn’t make you want to have yours done, then...I don’t know what will

The stock engine is lean for emissions. Besides fuel and timing for heat addressing, the stock cooling fan and engine keep temperatures at 214*F.
    The high engine heat helps burn any fuel in engine. (Along with engine life) But thats why they run it so hot.
    I knock that down for the engine to stay under 200*F. Even lower for stage 2.
    The speed limit is raised on both stages - However, the VCM on each bike controls the top speed. Not ecu.
    There is well over 30 remapping modifications in the ecu.
    Cooling fan, Throttle Control, Torque Limiting, Ignition Timing, Fuel delivery, rev limits, speed limits etc.
    An ecu controls the engine. Fuel, ignition timing along with external control of things like the electronic throttle and cooling fan.
    The whole package is remapped.

Longevity is increased. The factory engine runs lean and hot. The remapping addresses both. Both the exhaust and the engine run much cooler than stock.
    You can drive the piss out of it. The most important things for longevity are keeping your oil changed. And using good fuel with octane from 91 to 94.
    The Bosch ecu is 2 pieces and is opened by removing the clips. This is how programming is accessed.
    It is resealed better than stock. (Special silicone, not just putting clips back on)

Oh…. You will notice more power.

Spyder Garage

My Stage 2 is scheduled to be here Monday. So SO SO SO ... So glad I decided to do this. Especially after reading this post.

Spyder Garage

Monster Fuel Injection did the stage 2 on my F3s and in 46 years of modifying cars n motorcycles I’ve never seen / felt such a high return on my investment on any single modification like this!!
    Very satisfied customer here!!

Spyder Garage

This is from an email conversation I had with Steve from Monster. If this doesn’t make you want to have yours done, then...I don’t know what will

The stock engine is lean for emissions. Besides fuel and timing for heat addressing, the stock cooling fan and engine keep temperatures at 214*F.
    The high engine heat helps burn any fuel in engine. (Along with engine life) But thats why they run it so hot.
    I knock that down for the engine to stay under 200*F. Even lower for stage 2.
    The speed limit is raised on both stages - However, the VCM on each bike controls the top speed. Not ecu.
    There is well over 30 remapping modifications in the ecu.
    Cooling fan, Throttle Control, Torque Limiting, Ignition Timing, Fuel delivery, rev limits, speed limits etc.
    An ecu controls the engine. Fuel, ignition timing along with external control of things like the electronic throttle and cooling fan.
    The whole package is remapped.

Longevity is increased. The factory engine runs lean and hot. The remapping addresses both. Both the exhaust and the engine run much cooler than stock.
    You can drive the piss out of it. The most important things for longevity are keeping your oil changed. And using good fuel with octane from 91 to 94.
    The Bosch ecu is 2 pieces and is opened by removing the clips. This is how programming is accessed.
    It is resealed better than stock. (Special silicone, not just putting clips back on)

Oh…. You will notice more power.
    Thats why I had mine done..also..with the map..you can SAFELY change out your exhaust cat because its not running lean anymore...if you going to change out your exhaust cat, do a Re-map FIRST!!!...
    Just remember to change your oil every 5000 miles, along with good quality gasoline. like you said....AND..watch your front drive sprocket for red dust!

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine is having his remapped...ON A f-3 with A MANUAL 6 SPEED!!!!!. They are out there, but not many. Especially on the west coast...that thing is going to be very fast. He`s excited thats for sure.

Spyder Garage

Get mine back today!!! But it’s raining!!! Don’t think I want to test it out in the rain (or do I?), might be a little crazy...or it might be fun.