Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Spyder Garage

Any chance those of us who don't do facebook could get to see the results/video/timeslips too?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just got my ECU back from Wick-It Performance after the stage 1 flash! Wow what a difference! I have a 2015 RTL, so I don't expect it to be a race machine, but we do a lot of 2 up riding towing an RT-622 trailer, usually in the mountains. Just on my first 20 mile ride after reinstalling the ECU, the difference is immediately apparent. Much smoother power through the complete range, and smoother shifts also. And of course, no more safety screen nag. I need to get some more miles in to really get the feel of what else is different. Also, I did fill up the tank so that I can see what affect if any it has on fuel economy. I've used the A-car app religiously to track fuel fill-ups since this bike was new and it has averaged 40 mpg over 23000 miles.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Still waiting with baited breath to get my ECU back from Canada. So many good things said. It arrived there on Friday and hopefully I have it back in the bike ( easy r and r ) soonest.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Just got my ECU back from Wick-It Performance after the stage 1 flash! Wow what a difference! I have a 2015 RTL, so I don't expect it to be a race machine, but we do a lot of 2 up riding towing an RT-622 trailer, usually in the mountains. Just on my first 20 mile ride after reinstalling the ECU, the difference is immediately apparent. Much smoother power through the complete range, and smoother shifts also. And of course, no more safety screen nag. I need to get some more miles in to really get the feel of what else is different. Also, I did fill up the tank so that I can see what affect if any it has on fuel economy. I've used the A-car app religiously to track fuel fill-ups since this bike was new and it has averaged 40 mpg over 23000 miles.
    As a fellow 2015 RTL owner I’m very interested in your impression when you have more miles on. This mod would probably be the next I’d do.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    As a fellow 2015 RTL owner I’m very interested in your impression when you have more miles on. This mod would probably be the next I’d do.
    I have more than 12,000 mile on my 2015 RT Limited with the reflash (sstage 1), and have no regrets. You are going to kick yourself is the ass for waiting so long to do it. It has made every aspect of riding the Spyder better.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am still trying to find the post on facebook???

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Not overlooking or failing to grasp anything. My automotive knowledge and experiences are quite vast and I have concerns that need to see the data in real world, long term testing .... Especially when it comes to engine timing modifications....
    Automotive and small engines are not very similar in most aspects than being fuel injected engines.

And what was your concerns?
    What engine timing modifications are you exactly concerned about?

As for your small hole theory.... with "Questionable airflow".
    2x 38.1mm holes are 100% the area of the 54mm throttle body itself.
    (54mm TB = 2289.06 mm2,
    (2 holes = 2279.03 mm2)
    So adding the exact same area inlet as the throttle body itself is questionable in its flow?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    My ECU is supposed to be returned to me tomorrow after Stage 1 flash at Wick-It. Have you done any testing using non-ethanol gas versus the 10% ethanol that is (almost) mandatory in the States? Prior to flashing, I've used almost exclusively 89 octane non-ethanol fuel and never noticed any problems. When traveling and non-ethanol was not available, I've always used 93 octane with 10% ethanol. Again, no perceived benefits or problems. Since I have both fuels available to me, what is your opinion on using the 89 octane non-ethanol with the stage 1 flash? Would you still recommend to avoid it? Thanks!
    Ethonal content doesn't matter. (E10 or not)
    The system uses oxygen sensors and will change fuel tuning for each fuel. You can use each.
    Only concern is that I would definitely get rid of the ethanol fuel for winter storage. Or at least treat it with seafoam.

However, octane is important. I have not tested 89 and cannot give you specific answer. Fuels are also different everywhere. If you are knowledgeable about engines, you could do some testing on the 89. My advice would be to avoid the 89 on the stage 1 unless you are stuck. Treat it like 87.

Use 91. And even test 93.
    If you are testing 89 (on your own merit) first, test both 93 and 91. If there is performance improvement noticed with 93 over 91. Then forget 89 all together. If 91 performs better, then continue testing 91 vs 89.
    But again remember, that pump fuels are different across all states in USA and provinces in Canada. As well as brands. And even northern locations have differences again in spring and fall as winter blends stat to come in. Fuel is just not the same. So results in one location will be different in another. Use the same gas station for your tests.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I have more than 12,000 mile on my 2015 RT Limited with the reflash (sstage 1), and have no regrets. You are going to kick yourself is the ass for waiting so long to do it. It has made every aspect of riding the Spyder better.
    I agree completely, Devious. I couldn’t care less about 1/4 mile times.....but as you say it has made the Spyder experience significantly better overall.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ok I’m convinced. Not a matter of if but when.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd_Piper View Post
    Automotive and small engines are not very similar in most aspects than being fuel injected engines.

And what was your concerns?
    What engine timing modifications are you exactly concerned about?

As for your small hole theory.... with "Questionable airflow".
    2x 38.1mm holes are 100% the area of the 54mm throttle body itself.
    (54mm TB = 2289.06 mm2,
    (2 holes = 2279.03 mm2)
    So adding the exact same area inlet as the throttle body itself is questionable in its flow?
    I can't believe you just said that! The only thing "not very similar" is the range of RPM operation, sure there are some differences but not that would be considered dissimilar enough as far as tuning/programming... But internally there are plenty of 1.3-1.5L engines in cars/SUV's these days that could be transposed with motorcycle engines and operate just fine with the proper electronics, mounting etc...

As for timing changes, you stated you can only lower the ECT by 7deg max by turning the fans on sooner! This is a VERY narrow window in which to operate when making timing changes and has me concerned with how much change you are making and the safety/reliability of the engine if ECT or IAT goes out of range due to inadequate cooling or hotter than anticipated intake air charge. Thus I asked if the knock-sensor is sensitive/quick enough to "catch" any change and reduce timing far enough to avoid damage. Also, how robust are these cooling fans? If you are going to be running them all the time (you would need to in hopes of staying in your ECT window) how long will they survive? How much testing was done in this regard?

As for the increased air flow, you really need to talk to Dennis about a test he ran on the air filter lid mod....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Still waiting with baited breath to get my ECU back from Canada. So many good things said. It arrived there on Friday and hopefully I have it back in the bike ( easy r and r ) soonest.

Lew L
    It's been shipped

Any bets on Spyd_Piper first name--------- I'll go with Steve ( from Monster FI )
    Last edited by Lew L; 01-29-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm torn between ecu flash or the power commander V
    I see that PCV has been released for the F3-S with map for 15-thru 17
    I've got a 18 SM6 F3-S so wondering if tune would work that PCV has out .
    I've always added a PC to my motorcycles as I like the ability to get back to
    stock configuration painlessly just by pulling a plug and bypassing the whole system .
    Anyone tried the PC route on an F3-S ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes but not for a F3. will update when things unfreeze in my area.

I do have the PC on the RT now using a f3 map.

Going with the PVCX tuner now. More to follow later on this topic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

Wow! It took them long enough.... Please do share your opinions/findings with this and the tunes they have available (both show as stock intake/stock exhaust). Not sure how those would perform on my modded exhaust but for 400.00 and the ability to switch back and forth and clear codes etc, I could talk myself into it!

I am flashed with the Stage 1 but very interested to compare the two!

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! It took them long enough.... Please do share your opinions/findings with this and the tunes they have available (both show as stock intake/stock exhaust). Not sure how those would perform on my modded exhaust but for 400.00 and the ability to switch back and forth and clear codes etc, I could talk myself into it!

I am flashed with the Stage 1 but very interested to compare the two!
    It will take some time as the tune was for a 16-18 RT. I am guessing they should be close for the 14 RT's. Right now just in the starting process of this. I was also wondering if the tune that you guys use can be used on the PVCX tuner??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post
    I'm torn between ecu flash or the power commander V
    I see that PCV has been released for the F3-S with map for 15-thru 17
    I've got a 18 SM6 F3-S so wondering if tune would work that PCV has out .
    I've always added a PC to my motorcycles as I like the ability to get back to
    stock configuration painlessly just by pulling a plug and bypassing the whole system .
    Anyone tried the PC route on an F3-S ?

It will take some time as the tune was for a 16-18 RT. I am guessing they should be close for the 14 RT's. Right now just in the starting process of this. I was also wondering if the tune that you guys use can be used on the PVCX tuner??
    They show that the PVCX is available for the 15-18 F3/F3-S with two tunes listed on their site. Part number = PV3-25-05. Every DynoJet unit I have used in the past saves the existing tune BEFORE writing their tune into the ECM. I have sent them an email to confirm this.... Not sure they have built in the ability to dump the tune file out of the programmer. Also, it most likely will be "coded" to the byke it came out of and I doubt would be able to be shared for use in another byke.

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They show that the PVCX is available for the 15-18 F3/F3-S with two tunes listed on their site. Part number = PV3-25-05. Every DynoJet unit I have used in the past saves the existing tune BEFORE writing their tune into the ECM. I have sent them an email to confirm this.... Not sure they have built in the ability to dump the tune file out of the programmer. Also, it most likely will be "coded" to the byke it came out of and I doubt would be able to be shared for use in another byke.
    It does save your original tune once you it has access to your ECM.

If I pull the tune on my 14 they will check it for me and send me a new one or use what is on there site.

Spyder Garage

It does save your original tune once you it has access to your ECM.

If I pull the tune on my 14 they will check it for me and send me a new one or use what is on there site.
    I just got this weird response from them:
    Thanks for the inquiry. We cannot read out what is in the ECU so your first step would be to write a stock file to the ECU assuming it takes it. Then you would write one of our tunes on top of that.

We can read and clear DTCs with the device. You will be able to log channels from the ECU while riding and review them if desired.

To me this means if you already have any type of tune/flash in the ECM it will be lost because you must write a "stock tune" to it, then load one of their custom tunes! Eeeeeek!

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got this weird response from them:
    Thanks for the inquiry. We cannot read out what is in the ECU so your first step would be to write a stock file to the ECU assuming it takes it. Then you would write one of our tunes on top of that.

We can read and clear DTCs with the device. You will be able to log channels from the ECU while riding and review them if desired.

To me this means if you already have any type of tune/flash in the ECM it will be lost because you must write a "stock tune" to it, then load one of their custom tunes! Eeeeeek!
    Once you plug it in it is suppose to write the stock file that's IF the tuner will work on your Spyder. So Like me I am not sure if it will work on a 14 RT since they have only tested them on the 16 -18 RT's. I am guessing it will but have to plug it in and then if it does it will show there custom files for you to upload to the ECM

Spyder Garage

What do you have to remove to install Power commander and wiring on a 2016 RT?

Spyder Garage

I’ve only had my F3-S for about a month. Got a killer deal on a 17 demo unit from BRP. I think I already know the answer but there is no warranty preservation with Monster or Pedal Commander right? I have tuned my Cummins diesel and know the risks but just wanted to be sure that all methods for the F3 void the factory warranty.

Spyder Garage

Once you plug it in it is suppose to write the stock file that's IF the tuner will work on your Spyder. So Like me I am not sure if it will work on a 14 RT since they have only tested them on the 16 -18 RT's. I am guessing it will but have to plug it in and then if it does it will show there custom files for you to upload to the ECM
    Yeah, I get that part.Like I said I have used them in many of my bikes. The part I can't seem to get a clear answer on is: Being that I am flashed already, but it is technically the stock (OEM) tune (albeit tweaked a bit), does it see it as a non-stock tune and get overwritten with what they consider a stock tune before any of their custom tunes can be loaded....

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I get that part.Like I said I have used them in many of my bikes. The part I can't seem to get a clear answer on is: Being that I am flashed already, but it is technically the stock (OEM) tune (albeit tweaked a bit), does it see it as a non-stock tune and get overwritten with what they consider a stock tune before any of their custom tunes can be loaded....
    That would be the Thousand dollar Answer! I know they did say I could keep my PC hooked up when I hook up the PVCX tuner. Any way hope to hear if it will or wont in your case. That would be a sweet deal to do. Two separate tunes or more from two different vendors.