Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Spyder Garage

I believe they still open them up. I say that because You still can not just go to the Wic-it location and have it done while you wait. They say it takes time for the adhesive to dry. You would have to spend the night.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have been building,racing,working and tuning automobiles for over 40 years I have not have to open up a ECU in over 20 years to tune them in the old days we would replace the prom but we just hook up to the OBD port now with the computer and special software and adapters. How do you think the companies that sell you the tuner do it the same way that monster and wicks do it. They just do not want to invest in R&D for the tunner to sell you its more money for them. The only real difference in the tune is monster/wicks are selling you a more aggressive tune one is not better than the other. Also they do not want you to wait and probably say it takes longer because you will get upset when they charge you 600 for 1/2 hours worth of work it's the same as when you take your car in they will not call you until the end of day even if the repair only took a couple of hours but charged book time which was way more time than it exacually did the average person would be upset. I now and understand how and what it takes to do a performance tune. If bikes are different than I am sorry never tuned a bike yet. In closing the last thing I would want is some one to open up my ECU and then try to seal it right that's a whole nother can of worms. Like I said I do performance tunes for automobiles not bikes so if it's different I will stand corrected

Spyder Garage

Default Opening ecu

Some of the ecus need to be opened for enough access to crack the access code. Once cracked others of the same version dont need to be opened.
    2015 F3 SM6
    Windscreen, bags, backrest, cowl, BajaRon anti-sway bar
    Two Bros exhaust

Spyder Garage

GOM,

Jase, out here in Oz, will allow you to bring your Spyder in, and will upload the new tune direct through the plug without even removing the ECM. However, if you wish to avoid the dealer accidentally overwriting your tune when they are doing certain types of BUDS resets, he needs to take it out, crack it open, reconfigure and reseal the ECM. The cost is similar for both methods, as the charge covers Jase’ creation of the tune as well as the physical work involved. The reseal is perfect and undectable and does not appear to be any kind of can of worms.
    It’s a little unfair when you hop on this site and start disparaging suppliers based on what you think MIGHT be happening with Spyder ECM upgrades.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by gom View Post
    I have been building,racing,working and tuning automobiles for over 40 years I have not have to open up a ECU in over 20 years to tune them in the old days we would replace the prom but we just hook up to the OBD port now with the computer and special software and adapters. How do you think the companies that sell you the tuner do it the same way that monster and wicks do it. They just do not want to invest in R&D for the tunner to sell you its more money for them. The only real difference in the tune is monster/wicks are selling you a more aggressive tune one is not better than the other. Also they do not want you to wait and probably say it takes longer because you will get upset when they charge you 600 for 1/2 hours worth of work it's the same as when you take your car in they will not call you until the end of day even if the repair only took a couple of hours but charged book time which was way more time than it exacually did the average person would be upset. I now and understand how and what it takes to do a performance tune. If bikes are different than I am sorry never tuned a bike yet. In closing the last thing I would want is some one to open up my ECU and then try to seal it right that's a whole nother can of worms. Like I said I do performance tunes for automobiles not bikes so if it's different I will stand corrected
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I saw it performed four times at Monster fuel on my spare ECUs for testing. I took an hour and a half for the computer to REWRITE 30,000 lines of code into the ECU. I too thought it should just take a couple of minutes. Monster and Wick it are the same tune its just an option of keeping your ECU in the USA or sending it to Canada. Wick-it is quicker turn around for mail in the USA. I was told at Monster fuel that Wick-it sends the files to them and they send them back?
    I agree with Pete, a lot of talk that isn't relevant to the facts. Many riders on this forum have racing backgrounds and a vast resource of great knowledge for outside the box problem solving.
    This thread is WAY TOO LONG.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I saw it performed four times at Monster fuel on my spare ECUs for testing. I took an hour and a half for the computer to REWRITE 30,000 lines of code into the ECU. I too thought it should just take a couple of minutes. Monster and Wick it are the same tune its just an option of keeping your ECU in the USA or sending it to Canada. Wick-it is quicker turn around for mail in the USA. I was told at Monster fuel that Wick-it sends the files to them and they send them back?
    I agree with Pete, a lot of talk that isn't relevant to the facts. Many riders on this forum have racing backgrounds and a vast resource of great knowledge for outside the box problem solving.
    This thread is WAY TOO LONG.
    Dennis
    It's a long thread...but...a very good one...

Spyder Garage

I am not trying to disparaging suppliers just asking question that you all should be asking. And what are they reconfiguring that is my question. Also I am not just hopping on this sight I have been a member since 2014. I always give my customers a copy of there dyno pull sheets and explain everything I do when tuning there cars. And if you read my last sentence why are your personal attacks being done. Inclosing I here from a lot of people that do not tune ECM but have not heard from the guys that do

Spyder Garage

gom, unfortunately, comments like “Also they do not want you to wait and probably say it takes longer because you will get upset when they charge you 600 for 1/2 hours worth of work” are indeed disparaging to suppliers, and even more so when you don’t know exactly what they do. Personal attacks?? I was simply saying that it is unfair for anyone to hop on the site (regardless of how long you have been a member) and cast aspersions regarding suppliers honesty re charging when you know so little about who they are and what they do.

Pete

I am not trying to disparaging suppliers just asking question that you all should be asking. And what are they reconfiguring that is my question. Also I am not just hopping on this sight I have been a member since 2014. I always give my customers a copy of there dyno pull sheets and explain everything I do when tuning there cars. And if you read my last sentence why are your personal attacks being done. Inclosing I here from a lot of people that do not tune ECM but have not heard from the guys that do
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

got mine done a few weeks ago from Wick It and it was quick turnaround and runs great! fixing to do a 2600 mile trip next month to NM CO WY MT and UT, Ill report back but anticipate it running a LOT smoother.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Pete , I am not questioning there honesty just stating a fact what happens in the automotive industry. And I am not saying that is what they do. I am very aware of the hard work and long hours it takes to tune a vehicle, do you. I am sure the companies are very good at what they do and are very reputable . My goal was not to disrespect any company but people her has stated that's it's un traceable and other comments that just don't add up. But no one has stated how.I am pretty sure you do not know what they do and why. I was just trying to understand why they do not use the computer port like the dynojet cx does. When they get there original data how do you think they do it. And yes I do know what I am talking about and how to tune vehicles. But like I said earlier if bikes are different then can some one tell me why.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete , I am not questioning there honesty just stating a fact what happens in the automotive industry. And I am not saying that is what they do. I am very aware of the hard work and long hours it takes to tune a vehicle, do you. I am sure the companies are very good at what they do and are very reputable . My goal was not to disrespect any company but people her has stated that's it's un traceable and other comments that just don't add up. But no one has stated how.I am pretty sure you do not know what they do and why. I was just trying to understand why they do not use the computer port like the dynojet cx does. When they get there original data how do you think they do it. And yes I do know what I am talking about and how to tune vehicles. But like I said earlier if bikes are different then can some one tell me why.
    Here's a news flash ……. contact Monster Fuel and ask them !!!!!! ……..just a thought ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I do not mean to disrespect any body or company. After my factory warranty runs out I will call them. But just tried to get some answers that people have stated on here, and tried to get you all to ask question before getting it done. I am sorry this has gotten out of hande,but here is just a few question that everyone should ask. 1. Was this tune done on a Dino and if so can I see the Dino sheet and no this will not give away any secrets.2 what Tempe was this tune done at. 3 Is the tune a fairly mid ,med,or a aggressive tune. 3 if I Chang anything like exhaust will it lean out my bike. These are generics tune not a custom tune to your bike. There are a lot more question that should be asked before you do it but I will not list them all. Also if bike is in warranty and you blow up the engine there is a good chance that can am will want the ECU back so they can see why and yes they will find it and void your warreny. So like I said earlier if bike is under factory warranty just think hard about it if out of factory warranty I would still ask a lot of question and yes probably would do it. Like I have said if I offended any body that was not my intent. You all have fun if you do it or don't. I am done with this tread but if you want to know more question that should be ask let me now

Spyder Garage

Default Was part of the test team

I do not mean to disrespect any body or company. After my factory warranty runs out I will call them. But just tried to get some answers that people have stated on here, and tried to get you all to ask question before getting it done. I am sorry this has gotten out of hande,but here is just a few question that everyone should ask. 1. Was this tune done on a Dino and if so can I see the Dino sheet and no this will not give away any secrets.2 what Tempe was this tune done at. 3 Is the tune a fairly mid ,med,or a aggressive tune. 3 if I Chang anything like exhaust will it lean out my bike. These are generics tune not a custom tune to your bike. There are a lot more question that should be asked before you do it but I will not list them all. Also if bike is in warranty and you blow up the engine there is a good chance that can am will want the ECU back so they can see why and yes they will find it and void your warreny. So like I said earlier if bike is under factory warranty just think hard about it if out of factory warranty I would still ask a lot of question and yes probably would do it. Like I have said if I offended any body that was not my intent. You all have fun if you do it or don't. I am done with this tread but if you want to know more question that should be ask let me now
    https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder Your concerns are spot on. As threads grow to this size a lot of relative info gets buried here and lost in other threads. This link has some information that addresses your questions. It would be nice if you are asking questions because you are considering this product for YOUR Spyder??? Yes, a Dyno was used for development of this flash.
    My test Spyders, (2) went from 96 hp at the rear wheel to 122 hp. I now have a total of 25,000 miles on two Spyders. Many of the forum members have been on the BUDS system and not a peep from the cycle shops about seeing something funny.
    Monster Fuel will gladly and quickly answer questions that you feel have not been answered.
    What Spyder do you own?
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

I have a new F3S 2018 its my second spyder. Thank you for you info with you being part of the test team you know a lot more than the average person.

Spyder Garage

Dennis I have 3 question did they do the dyno tune on your bike and where you there for it. Also when tuning the spyder was the bike hooked up to a computer during it, when it was on the dyno. I will call monster when my factory warranty runs out. Thanks again for your info

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am definitely considering the tune. But I just paid a little under $700 to extend my warranty for another 3 years. I would hate to have an issue with the bike, and BRP says that there was a problem caused by getting my ECU tuned.
    Has ANYONE had any warranty issues and taken their bike in with the tune? And if so, was there a problem?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

GOM,

The ECM mod is a very personal thing. I, for instance, was only interested in a crisper throttle response and the removal of lag as I have no intention of getting involved in any kind of racing. Jase’s tune addressed both those issues in spades. Claiming that we ALL need to ask the questions you are asking is simply incorrect as it is an individual thing. I asked lots of questions before proceeding and none of them included asking for a Dyno readout, nor what temperature it was run at. You can request a mild, medium or hot tune. It is not a one size fits all. I selected the medium (stage 2) tune as recommended by Jase. It required no mods other than the tune. Don’t tell Jase, but I would have been prepared to pay a good deal more for the perfect result he has given me.

Pete

Dennis I have 3 question did they do the dyno tune on your bike and where you there for it. Also when tuning the spyder was the bike hooked up to a computer during it, when it was on the dyno. I will call monster when my factory warranty runs out. Thanks again for your info
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I have been running mine for 3 months now and have even changed exhaust config AFTER the flash was done and had no probs with the flash being able to adjust for the increased flow. I highly recommend getting it done. Even if you don't ryde like a madman you will reap benefits in every day ryding like: don't have to downshift to get power or pass, roll-ons are excellent and when you wanna "get the show on the road" in a hurry you will be stoked with how well it gets movin'!
    Just curious, after having the flash done, if you have to take the machine into the dealer's and they connect it up to BUDS, does that erase the flash and return the ECM to stock? I'm thinking of getting my 2017 F3-S done, but not if it's going to be reset and see my $$ fly away.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

The flash is guaranteed. If that does happen they will reflash it for free. You just have to pay shipping.I was wondering how many times that has happened. I do not remember any posts here saying it happened.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am definitely considering the tune. But I just paid a little under $700 to extend my warranty for another 3 years. I would hate to have an issue with the bike, and BRP says that there was a problem caused by getting my ECU tuned.
    Has ANYONE had any warranty issues and taken their bike in with the tune? And if so, was there a problem?
    The dealer here wants 1500 for 3years .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Just remember, don't blame BRP for detuning or denutting or whatever these bikes. I'm sure they don't want to, they have to do it. They are mandated by bureaucrats from the EU, EPA, CARB, etc to make these engines smog compliant regardless of what it does otherwise.
    They de-nut the trikes (like other manufacturers of power equipment do), because they realize there will be some dim bulbs who will buy the machines who have no business riding a pedal trike let alone a powered one. So, to keep the lawyers looking for work and the dummies alive, they have to defang the trikes to certain extent.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Looking to have my F3's ECU flashed in the Rochester NY area. Anyone know who does it??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    They de-nut the trikes (like other manufacturers of power equipment do), because they realize there will be some dim bulbs who will buy the machines who have no business riding a pedal trike let alone a powered one. So, to keep the lawyers looking for work and the dummies alive, they have to defang the trikes to certain extent.
    Thank you...the voice of knowledge....they detuned them to avoid possible lawsuits....there's a lot of untapped horsepower in those 1330's that's for sure.

Spyder Garage

I haven't heard any complaints about the ECU flash----- only sore cheeks from smiling all the time. I think the flash is GREAT, best mod for the $$. The should have come this way from the factory.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    Looking to have my F3's ECU flashed in the Rochester NY area. Anyone know who does it??
    Nobody in the New York Area...only in Canada and in Louisiana...you'll have to remove the ECU and airbox lid (stage II option) and send it in to be programmed.