Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    It won't do anything for you power/speed wise. It is only there to "supposedly" increase fuel economy by prompting you to shift sooner (more economical rpm) and possibly retarding the timing some but I'm not 100% on the that...
    IMHO " ECO mode " does change the MAP somewhat ….. If I have MY OEM 2014 RT in " eco " mode, it isn't as responsive ( and this has nothing to do with the shift lights )….. I think it does this via a slight RETARDING of the spark …. how this might relate to an ECU Flash I won't speculate on …. maybe Steve can enlighten us ...……………...Mike

Spyder Garage

Not sure about all the things that happen when ECO mode is engaged on the Spyder. I do know that BRP does a great job changing the performance of their vehicles electronically. I owned a Can Am Commander (4WD) for several years. It came with 2 keys. One was "standard" and the other was "performance". A very noticable difference of operation between the two. In addition, there was an electronically operated switch that changed other operational peramaters from "normal" to "sport" mode. One would think that you might want to keep the vehicle in sport mode with the performance key in all the time. That gave the highest level of power, speed, and responsiveness. Most times rock crawling required reducing responsiveness electronically to eliminate jerkiness of throttle caused by (me) bouncing around. Very effective. I highly suspect our ECO mode on the Spyder does more than just tell us when to shift. I tried it a couple of time just for kicks but haven't used it for a long time. I just know that BRP does know how to alter performance with more than just lights telling us when to shift gears..... It would be interesting to know how and what is effected in the ECO mode when the ECU is flashed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO " ECO mode " does change the MAP somewhat ….. If I have MY OEM 2014 RT in " eco " mode, it isn't as responsive ( and this has nothing to do with the shift lights )….. I think it does this via a slight RETARDING of the spark …. how this might relate to an ECU Flash I won't speculate on …. maybe Steve can enlighten us ...……………...Mike
    My statement about power/speed was in response to the OP asking if it would give him "ludicrous speed or something". I wasn't saying that it didn't alter the MAP or that it only prompted for earlier shifting. In fact, besides the timing it may alter the fuel tables and throttle behavior as well.... At this point all I know is ECO is worthless and just basically a PITA to me!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

400 miles later and...........it’s a lot better. Went for a long ride today, in all different kinds of terrain (so to speak). Everything from slow twistys, to cruising through the mountains, to freeway speed 75-80mph and even up to 115 on a nice open & empty road. It has improved over stock. Definitely more power. Like everyone says...this is how it should be from the factory. Mileage both times I filled up were 31.5 & that’s what it was before flash as well. Pulls much better through the gears & seems to shift more positive (shifts like you are not using a clutch, no lag). One thing is though, it’s a lot louder. More low rumble & drone if you are below 4500. Don’t know how or why that is, but that’s what I noticed. I’ll probably be adding a baffle to my cat delete, for that reason & also it didn’t improve my loss of low end from when I installed the cat delete. All in all I’m happy now. Fans do seem to run a bit more too now. I was only in 70-75 degree weather too. Can’t imagine when it gets 100 out.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    400 miles later and...........it’s a lot better. Went for a long ride today, in all different kinds of terrain (so to speak). Everything from slow twistys, to cruising through the mountains, to freeway speed 75-80mph and even up to 115 on a nice open & empty road. It has improved over stock. Definitely more power. Like everyone says...this is how it should be from the factory. Mileage both times I filled up were 31.5 & that’s what it was before flash as well. Pulls much better through the gears & seems to shift more positive (shifts like you are not using a clutch, no lag). One thing is though, it’s a lot louder. More low rumble & drone if you are below 4500. Don’t know how or why that is, but that’s what I noticed. I’ll probably be adding a baffle to my cat delete, for that reason & also it didn’t improve my loss of low end from when I installed the cat delete. All in all I’m happy now. Fans do seem to run a bit more too now. I was only in 70-75 degree weather too. Can’t imagine when it gets 100 out.
    great to hear..it needed some time to settle in...about your cat delete...what brand are you using?

Spyder Garage

I've had my flash for about 7 months now and I'm very happy with the difference. The exhaust on mine is stock but I have noticed at idle it has more of a rumble to it and a little louder. When you get on it, it has a nice growl as well. Throttle response is much better and requires less twist of the wrist. Unfortunately now at 9500 miles my rear tire is shot. You can feel it break loose much easier now. Mileage wise, pretty much the same as before I had it flashed. Although, I do tend to hot rod it more. At cruise at 75 mph (by GPS) 78 indicated, I can roll on the throttle and easily be hitting 85-90 in a couple of seconds. To me, it was a good investment to get the improved performance.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    great to hear..it needed some time to settle in...about your cat delete...what brand are you using?
    I’m running the lamonster cat delete. I’m thinking about taking out the can opener baffle & installing a Khrome Werks. It’s the only thing I can find that will fit besides having one custom made.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I’m running the lamonster cat delete. I’m thinking about taking out the can opener baffle & installing a Khrome Werks. It’s the only thing I can find that will fit besides having one custom made.
    You may want to look at the RLS with an additional baffle.
    It's way better...Hypurone and Dennis in Lodi runs that on theirs with great success... I also run that setup on mine...make sure you order it with TWO baffles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    You may want to look at the RLS with an additional baffle.
    It's way better...Hypurone and Dennis in Lodi runs that on theirs with great success... I also run that setup on mine...make sure you order it with TWO baffles.
    I paid $300 for the cat delete & not really wanting to spend a bunch more on something I may not like. It’s only $30 for 1 baffle, so I’m going to try that first

Spyder Garage

Was out this AM and on my way home I stopped to see if I could help a motorcycliest on the side of the freeway. I didn't have my jumper battery with me so I was off. This was the first time I pinned the throttle since the ECU flash and--- it's worth every $ you spend on it. Was easily up to freeway speeds in a couple of seconds. Pulled hard to 7,000 RPM or so. ( I really wasn't looking ) Better than before fore sure.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default maptunerx

i have been out today testing maptunerx stage 2 flash on my f3s daytona with 79 tooth sprocket took about 15 minutes to install.tune only effects sport mode so its easy to switch between stock and stage 2 tune to compare. throttle response is more linear right up to the rev limiter no more bogging down above 6000 rpm and below 2500 rpm as soon as you enter sport mode you can hear the engine tone change after coming back from a 200 mile ride to let the ecu build the fuel tables i did 2 runs on the same road in different directions stock top speed on gps 125.6 mph maptunerx stage 2 top speed on gps 136.8 before i had to slow down for traffic i need to find a better clear police free road but there getting rare in these parts now. she was still pulling strong when i had to slow down so i think more testing is needed. very happy with the maptunerx tune plus i can read and clear error codes and reset ecu history if i need warranty work doing
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Holy crap is the fan ever loud when running with Stage I

Spyder Garage

I ll test my MaptunerX next Monday. Hope i ll get similar results. Btw. tuningfiles for the Riker are available.

Quote Originally Posted by ddjim View Post
    i have been out today testing maptunerx stage 2 flash on my f3s daytona with 79 tooth sprocket took about 15 minutes to install.tune only effects sport mode so its easy to switch between stock and stage 2 tune to compare. throttle response is more linear right up to the rev limiter no more bogging down above 6000 rpm and below 2500 rpm as soon as you enter sport mode you can hear the engine tone change after coming back from a 200 mile ride to let the ecu build the fuel tables i did 2 runs on the same road in different directions stock top speed on gps 125.6 mph maptunerx stage 2 top speed on gps 136.8 before i had to slow down for traffic i need to find a better clear police free road but there getting rare in these parts now. she was still pulling strong when i had to slow down so i think more testing is needed. very happy with the maptunerx tune plus i can read and clear error codes and reset ecu history if i need warranty work doing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    Holy crap is the fan ever loud when running with Stage I
    One of the reasons I am still running my "original" Stage 1.... I couldn't deal with them running constantly.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have over 700 miles on the Monster Stage 2 flash and have not experienced the fans coming on any more than the pre flash configuration..
    Zero negatives in my experience YRMV...
    Very satisfied customer here..
    I never even bothered with the stage 1 because I knew about the stage 2 coming..
    I did not want to deal with the back and forth issues..
    One stop shopping for me and for all marbles..
    Again,,, Zero regret and the best bang for buck on any car,, motorcycle modification in 47 + years of doing it..

Spyder Garage

Same here with Jase’s Aussie stage 2 tune, Mike

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    I have over 700 miles on the Monster Stage 2 flash and have not experienced the fans coming on any more than the pre flash configuration..
    Zero negatives in my experience YRMV...
    Very satisfied customer here..
    I never even bothered with the stage 1 because I knew about the stage 2 coming..
    I did not want to deal with the back and forth issues..
    One stop shopping for me and for all marbles..
    Again,,, Zero regret and the best bang for buck on any car,, motorcycle modification in 47 + years of doing it..
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have been testing flashes for Monster fuel since the beginning of this journey. I have two ECUs, stage 1 and 2.Both ECUs are dialed in and it's kind of cool that they are plug and play. It's really hard to tell which is which but here is two things that separate the flashes.
    1. stage 1 has more instant starting power. from a dead stop, it breaks the wheel loose with straight throttle. It's hit and miss if stage 2 will break loose. I don't think this translates to a real staring advantage for either flash. But, I can tell them apart by starting power.
    2. Mid range cruising around, mixed traffic, higher gears I can't tell any advantage or disadvantage between the flashes.
    3. OK, things start to happen which are real nice in the upper rpm range with the stage 2 flash. It seems to start to separate from stage 1 around 6,800 rpm. But what it does really different for performance is how cleanly it pulls to red line. Stage 1 is flat going from 7,600 rpm to red line but stage 2 really shines in this area. To me it feels like 5 to 6 hp more in this area of the rpm range.

Dennis

Just my opinion from my testing. This is cold weather driving and Iv'e only heard the fan come on once.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I have been testing flashes for Monster fuel since the beginning of this journey. I have two ECUs, stage 1 and 2.Both ECUs are dialed in and it's kind of cool that they are plug and play. It's really hard to tell which is which but here is two things that separate the flashes.
    1. stage 1 has more instant starting power. from a dead stop, it breaks the wheel loose with straight throttle. It's hit and miss if stage 2 will break loose. I don't think this translates to a real staring advantage for either flash. But, I can tell them apart by starting power.
    2. Mid range cruising around, mixed traffic, higher gears I can't tell any advantage or disadvantage between the flashes.
    3. OK, things start to happen which are real nice in the upper rpm range with the stage 2 flash. It seems to start to separate from stage 1 around 6,800 rpm. But what it does really different for performance is how cleanly it pulls to red line. Stage 1 is flat going from 7,600 rpm to red line but stage 2 really shines in this area. To me it feels like 5 to 6 hp more in this area of the rpm range.

Dennis

Just my opinion from my testing. This is cold weather driving and Iv'e only heard the fan come on once.
    Thanks for the review and up-date …… from personal experience with combustion engines …. if you can FEEL it, I think it's quite a bit MORE than 5-6 HP ………. this is approx. 6-7% increase in power and it would have a very small effect on what you would be able to feel ….JMHO … Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you, Dennis. I am looking for more power/acceleration while passing when I am cruising and pulling my trailer. That will be in the 3500-7000 RPM range (60-90 MPH) I don't need more top speed or to be able to burn the tires. RPM increase is not important to me as I don't approach what I already have. I am now convinced that stage-1 is the appropriate mod for me..... Unless advised otherwise..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Here are my test results with the MaptunerX on my F3 2017 third gear from 60 to 140 km / h. Stock Retracted stage 1. Stage 2 (K & N, Straight Shot ESD) not yet retracted.

First measurement
    Default: 7:01 seconds
    Stage 1: 6:22 seconds
    Stage 2: 6:13 seconds

Second measurement (slightly uphill)
    Default: 7:07 seconds
    Stage 1: 7:04 seconds
    Stage 2: 6:20 seconds

80 - 120 km / h in seconds with a flying start

Default: 03:25
    Stage 2: 02:29

I would have expected a little more power. What do you mean?

Spyder Garage

Micha, it will be interesting to see the measurement with stage 1 including K&N, straight Shot ESD. ;-)

Spyder Garage

maptunerx has a new stage 2 AGR tune available

Spyder Garage

Sebastian from Germany posted a video about Maptuner X on Youtube. A comparison on an F3-S, Stock with Stage 2 (Akrapovic Sinister exhaust and K&N air filter). Stage 2 with 20 hp more power than the stock. Here are the results (PDF file with best resolution):

Stock
    MaptunerX-Serie.jpg

Stage 2
    MaptunerX-Stage2.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddjim View Post
    maptunerx has a new stage 2 AGR tune available
    What does AGR mean? Is a hardware change necessary? What does STAGE 2 bring to Horsepower?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Micha. View Post
    What does AGR mean? Is a hardware change necessary? What does STAGE 2 bring to Horsepower?
    agr stands for aggressive.just slipon exhaust required. i went out testing the new stage 2 AGR tune on Sunday and had a problem with the throttle cutting out over 95% throttle application. i have been in contact with victor at maptun and he said he will have a engine calibration technician take a look at it. so back to stage 2 for now.