Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    very true... im suprised that the people who own a f3 dont upgrade to an f3-sport ...all you have to do is change out the sprocket and belt from a 79T to a 89T and upgrade the buds to the 89T setting. the diffence is night and day and add a cruise control module. an F3- Sport upgrade. its easy to do too!!!!!....just a matter of money.. have you been in contact with steve?..If so...whats his answer to you going up there?
    Didn't all the early F3 and F3S (2015 & 2016) come with the same 89T sprocket? The different size rear sprockets didn't take affect in the F3 series bikes until 2017. That is also when the Limited got a smaller sprocket than the F3T. Up until then, they were all the same.
    As for the higher rpm's, I went higher on my rpm gauge this past New Years Day ride than ever (about 7500). This was in an effort to show a buddy on his 2016 Rocket III that the spyder was no joke. Of course, after about 60 mph he was able to walk away, but he was really surprised. I told him that as soon as my warranty is up, I will be getting the flash and we will try it again. But until that time, I will just have to tear him a new one with my Vmax on our next outing.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today 1/8/20 I sent Steve at MFI a message asking if he ever got the RT 89T rear sprocket deal working...I also offered to put the 89T rear sprocket set up on my Spyder and bring it to him for a test unit to try and get this task accomplished...I will report back when I hear from him...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Didn't all the early F3 and F3S (2015 & 2016) come with the same 89T sprocket? The different size rear sprockets didn't take affect in the F3 series bikes until 2017. That is also when the Limited got a smaller sprocket than the F3T. Up until then, they were all the same.
    As for the higher rpm's, I went higher on my rpm gauge this past New Years Day ride than ever (about 7500). This was in an effort to show a buddy on his 2016 Rocket III that the spyder was no joke. Of course, after about 60 mph he was able to walk away, but he was really surprised. I told him that as soon as my warranty is up, I will be getting the flash and we will try it again. But until that time, I will just have to tear him a new one with my Vmax on our next outing.
    Just a heads up.. monster fuel next month is coming out with a hand programmer so you'll be able to switch between stock tune and the different stages...so you can have a tune under warranty...you need to take your Spyder to the dealer?....remove the tune..when the warranty work is done..hook up the programmer..put the tune back in.. nobody knows your business...go to monsters webpage...it's there.

Spyder Garage

Is Monster/Wicked going to load their tunes (stage 1 at $390 and stage 2 at $515) onto their new device ($300), allowing it to then be loaded into the ECU similar to a Dynojet PV3 ? Or, will they still have to flash your original ECU ? That will be the huge key when it comes to leaving a digital trail...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Is Monster/Wicked going to load their tunes (stage 1 at $390 and stage 2 at $515) onto their new device ($300), allowing it to then be loaded into the ECU similar to a Dynojet PV3 ? Or, will they still have to flash your original ECU ? That will be the huge key when it comes to leaving a digital trail...
    I think it will be the same path as Dyno Jet...we will see next month...we will have more information.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a heads up.. monster fuel next month is coming out with a hand programmer so you'll be able to switch between stock tune and the different stages...so you can have a tune under warranty...you need to take your Spyder to the dealer?....remove the tune..when the warranty work is done..hook up the programmer..put the tune back in.. nobody knows your business...go to monsters webpage...it's there.
    Thank you for this info. I will be keeping an eye out. Please post up when it is available. It would be really nice when I am riding solo. The wife doesn't care for the speed thing on anything other than 4 wheels.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Sent my 2015 F3-S ECU to Wick-It last week. Should be receiving it back by this weekend. I decided to go with the Stage 1 since I have also added a hitch and tow an easy camper up into the Carolina Mountains every so rarely. I didn't want to put all the added stress that a Stage 1 likely puts on the Spyder (plus I wanted to be able to use regular fuel in a pinch, in case I was in the middle of the mountains and not near premium fuel).

Side note, I called Wick-It before sending the ECU so I could understand how the entire transaction went down. I shipped them the ECU with tracking and noted when it arrived - Called a couple days ago to check on things since I hadn't heard from them for me to make a payment by phone, and the guy on their end (who actually was noted as the individual who signed for my ECU upon delivery) initially was saying they didn't have my ECU.....Talk about panic moment. They hung up, searched their shop, found it, and called back to let me know (ok, well that's good....maybe all is ok??). So I call them yesterday to check-in again, and they say it's done and ready to ship out, and they were going to send me the tracking info when they did......but I hadn't even paid still....so I paid and hung up. ....I'm not feeling too confident in this experience.....Here's hoping it arrives back in my hands safely (and soon) and without any further issues....
    Boris - The Spyder

Monster FI Stage 1, Elka Stage 2 F&R, BajaRon Swaybar, Lamonster Links,
    Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Sent my 2015 F3-S ECU to Wick-It last week. Should be receiving it back by this weekend. I decided to go with the Stage 1 since I have also added a hitch and tow an easy camper up into the Carolina Mountains every so rarely. I didn't want to put all the added stress that a Stage 1 likely puts on the Spyder (plus I wanted to be able to use regular fuel in a pinch, in case I was in the middle of the mountains and not near premium fuel).

Side note, I called Wick-It before sending the ECU so I could understand how the entire transaction went down. I shipped them the ECU with tracking and noted when it arrived - Called a couple days ago to check on things since I hadn't heard from them for me to make a payment by phone, and the guy on their end (who actually was noted as the individual who signed for my ECU upon delivery) initially was saying they didn't have my ECU.....Talk about panic moment. They hung up, searched their shop, found it, and called back to let me know (ok, well that's good....maybe all is ok??). So I call them yesterday to check-in again, and they say it's done and ready to ship out, and they were going to send me the tracking info when they did......but I hadn't even paid still....so I paid and hung up. ....I'm not feeling too confident in this experience.....Here's hoping it arrives back in my hands safely (and soon) and without any further issues....
    They are good people..no worries...you're going to LOVE the flash...right on time for spring...

Spyder Garage

They are good people..no worries...you're going to LOVE the flash...right on time for spring...
    Yeah - I’m not stressing. Got the tracking label and should be arriving tomorrow before end of day. I’m stoked to throw it in and go for a ride (just need some good weather and time). Know if there’s specific procedure or steps to follow on first startup or rides?
    Boris - The Spyder

Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Yeah - I’m not stressing. Got the tracking label and should be arriving tomorrow before end of day. I’m stoked to throw it in and go for a ride (just need some good weather and time). Know if there’s specific procedure or steps to follow on first startup or rides?
    There's no break in period. it's all plug in play technology.. ..make sure you run premium gas..that's about it.

Spyder Garage

There's no break on period. it's all plug in play technology.. ..make sure you run premium gas..that's about it.
    Ok perfect. 91 or 93 always (only time I’d put regular is if I get stuck in a small mountain town with no options - luckily hasn’t happened yet). Thanks!
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

Ok perfect. 91 or 93 always (only time I’d put regular is if I get stuck in a small mountain town with no options - luckily hasn’t happened yet). Thanks!
    whats the word...did you get it back yet?

Spyder Garage

whats the word...did you get it back yet?
    I did - installed it right away as well. I think today is going to be rideable, so fingers crossed that all allows me to test things out! I’ll report back once I’ve tried it out.

————
    Update: I tried to ride but quickly hit rain, looks like I’ll have to push to really try, but I could feel something extra there....just need more time and miles to really try it (that was just a teaser run).
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

I did - installed it right away as well. I think today is going to be rideable, so fingers crossed that all allows me to test things out! I’ll report back once I’ve tried it out.

————
    Update: I tried to ride but quickly hit rain, looks like I’ll have to push to really try, but I could feel something extra there....just need more time and miles to really try it (that was just a teaser run).
    when the rain clears ...you`re ready to rock...keep us us informed, were waiting for your review...you have a NEW bike now..

Spyder Garage

Best bang for the buck performance wise. I'm happy with my stage 1 upgrade and stealthy stock muffler.
    Lew L

EDIT: Fuel mileage may suffer in proportion to the big grin on your facha.
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-16-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yup. Very nice and smooth. Loads of extra power in 3rd and up, but 4th and 5th really shine now. Can’t wait to get more time this upcoming year.

Only downside I may have noticed is decrease if fuel efficiency but not surprising if it turns out to be true. Doesn’t bother me but just a thought. More time will tell on that side (only got to ride a couple hours this evening).
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

Yup. Very nice and smooth. Loads of extra power in 3rd and up, but 4th and 5th really shine now. Can’t wait to get more time this upcoming year.

Only downside I may have noticed is decrease if fuel efficiency but not surprising if it turns out to be true. Doesn’t bother me but just a thought. More time will tell on that side (only got to ride a couple hours this evening).
    awesome....and what makes it nice...the upgrade is easy to do....and inexpensive...this is how the spyder should come fom the factory....enjoy your new ride.

Spyder Garage

I'm getting the same fuel efficiency as I was before the Stage 1. (2015 RTL). What gets expensive is the rear tire!!!!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I'm getting the same fuel efficiency as I was before the Stage 1. (2015 RTL). What gets expensive is the rear tire!!!!
    With my 2013 RTL & the 998 V-Twin motor, I've found that if I can restrain myself enough to do some steady cruising, I can actually get significantly better fuel economy than ever before... But I must admit that I do find that restraint juuust a little hard to come by and I have exactly the same issue with the rear tire once I start twisting that throttle hard!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

+1

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

So I rode 306 miles on Saturday, and I must say I really love this tune. Fuel economy feels about the same now that I've ridden it a good bit. Sure is a kick in the pants when you want. I do agree this is how it should have come from the factory, but given that the typical Spyder rider isn't riding a Spyder how we ride, they likely wouldn't appreciate the tune if it had come from factory....sometimes it's a bit "scary" (in the good way) at how much power was really hidden in this thing.
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

So I rode 306 miles on Saturday, and I must say I really love this tune. Fuel economy feels about the same now that I've ridden it a good bit. Sure is a kick in the pants when you want. I do agree this is how it should have come from the factory, but given that the typical Spyder rider isn't riding a Spyder how we ride, they likely wouldn't appreciate the tune if it had come from factory....sometimes it's a bit "scary" (in the good way) at how much power was really hidden in this thing.
    Now you have....THE FUN FACTOR!!!..you have BOTH the power and the handling..the elka shocks and lamonster sway bar....just wait till summer...fun time!!... Oh heck...you're having fun now!!

Spyder Garage

I've been researching the ECU flash options for my '20 RTL. Here's some info that I've gotten along the way. Dyno Jet only has a application listing up to 2019 and not very many tune options for the Power Vision. Here is an email I received today from Dyno Jet...

Thanks for the inquiry. The PV3 does have the ability to work on this model but we have not seen a stock file from this ECU so more than likely we need to get an ECU in hand before can add support. I can't say with 100% confidence unless you had a PV3 to connect to your vehicle and get me some data.
    We also only have stock improved files for the Spyder line at this time. Thanks.

I also contacted Monster FI about my '20 model year. I was concerned that a dealership could detect if the ECU was updated....

Dealer cannot plug in and know anything.
    Except if they ride it. Or because the ecu stores max rpm, if you choose a flash with max rpm above that, they may see that.
    As for warranty, depends on dealer. Some don't care what you do. Some don't even like tire changes or muffler changes.
    One thing is that any warranty denial needs to be related to engine tuning. Brakes, leaks, steering etc (most warranty issues) have nothing to do with ecu or engine tuning.
    If the dealer ever over writes the ecu, it's free to have me reflash it.
    An option for you is our $350 usd handheld. It allows you to flash between stock and tuned, anytime you want. Just put it back stock before going to dealer.

. I already have a RLS decat and muffler on the RT. I'll have the stage 2 flash done .
    I have reached out to Wick-it Performance but haven't heard back yet. I'd like to keep my ECU in the US, concerned about shipping delays and such with all the Covid-19 stuff going on,
    although the guys at MFI say they haven't seen much change in shipping times yet.
    2020 RT Limited , Chaulk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    I've been researching the ECU flash options for my '20 RTL. Here's some info that I've gotten along the way. Dyno Jet only has a application listing up to 2019 and not very many tune options for the Power Vision. Here is an email I received today from Dyno Jet...

Thanks for the inquiry. The PV3 does have the ability to work on this model but we have not seen a stock file from this ECU so more than likely we need to get an ECU in hand before can add support. I can't say with 100% confidence unless you had a PV3 to connect to your vehicle and get me some data.
    We also only have stock improved files for the Spyder line at this time. Thanks.

I also contacted Monster FI about my '20 model year. I was concerned that a dealership could detect if the ECU was updated....

Dealer cannot plug in and know anything.
    Except if they ride it. Or because the ecu stores max rpm, if you choose a flash with max rpm above that, they may see that.
    As for warranty, depends on dealer. Some don't care what you do. Some don't even like tire changes or muffler changes.
    One thing is that any warranty denial needs to be related to engine tuning. Brakes, leaks, steering etc (most warranty issues) have nothing to do with ecu or engine tuning.
    If the dealer ever over writes the ecu, it's free to have me reflash it.
    An option for you is our $350 usd handheld. It allows you to flash between stock and tuned, anytime you want. Just put it back stock before going to dealer.

. I already have a RLS decat and muffler on the RT. I'll have the stage 2 flash done .
    I have reached out to Wick-it Performance but haven't heard back yet. I'd like to keep my ECU in the US, concerned about shipping delays and such with all the Covid-19 stuff going on,
    although the guys at MFI say they haven't seen much change in shipping times yet.
    The info you received fro Dyno-Jet is more than likely a CYA response ..... the 20 1330 engine and ECU are the same as the 19 -18-17-16-15-14 for all models with that engine..... Monster was first so I say go with them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

My Monster Stage 1 flash is GREAT..... Just had the Spyder out today for a blast through the twisties. The flash is great from turn to turn.