Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Spyder Garage

Default ECU Flash

Just a little Survey for those that have had the ECU Flashed on their Spyder. Could you provide how long it is that you have being riding with the upgrade and what your results have being, etc.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

I've had my flash done a couple months ago on my 2014 RT-Ltd.
    The off the line take off is much better, when you push it past 5000 RPM it's Hold On Tight!!!
    Thought I haven't documented anything, I do think my gas mileage is a bit better as well.
    Not having to wait for the Spyder to go through the start up diagnostics to start it up is a definite bonus!
    The only issue I had is being in Edmonton and at a higher elevation my Spyder was running a bit rich.
    Steve at Monster Fuel Injection suggested he tweak the flash a bit (at no charge) and it's running perfectly!
    Steve has provided nothing but Killer Customer Service!!!
    Last edited by Purple Guy; 05-30-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have been running mine for 3 months now and have even changed exhaust config AFTER the flash was done and had no probs with the flash being able to adjust for the increased flow. I highly recommend getting it done. Even if you don't ryde like a madman you will reap benefits in every day ryding like: don't have to downshift to get power or pass, roll-ons are excellent and when you wanna "get the show on the road" in a hurry you will be stoked with how well it gets movin'!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've been running my V-twin motored 2013 RT Ltd for close on 12 months now with an ECU Upgrade done by Jase at ECU Xtreme here in Aus, and it's nothing short of bloody fantastic!!

THIS is how Spyders should be leaving the factory - better acceleration off the line, better roll on, higher top end, more able to hold in gear as the load increases, & I even get better fuel range than I did pre upgrade (I suspect that's because I don't hafta stir the gearbox anywhere near as much as I did to keep the engine on song & pulling like a train!!) The gear changes are crisper, there are no dead spots or hesitations, it revs freely right out to the (new) red line, it goes like a cut snake & pulls like a train, & some of the engine/nanny parameters have been 'relaxed' just a little so I get to keep on the power in circumstances where before, the nanny would've been cutting things back a little (think F3 engine limits on an RT, if that helps with the concept. ) And it's all done within the 'known safe' parameters of this engine, so I'm not risking hurting anything except maybe my wallet (we do have lotsa speed cameras down here and the latest in laser/lidar speed detection gear too! )

Anyhow, if you want to upgrade your Spyder just a little or even a whole lottle, check out the 'proper' ECU Upgrades out there - NOT the el cheapo 'internet flash' jobs that can (will?) be over-written next time your byke is serviced &/or plugged into BUDS; I mean the proper (& yeah, they are more expensive, but there's obvious reasons for that!) ECU Upgrades that aren't just patches or add-ons, so apart from the higher revs & speeds, won't be readily noticed by BUDS, but they WILL allow you to unleash more of the engine power & torque that BRP designed & built into these things & made available to these same engines when used in other machines, only they de-tuned them & damped them down for our Spyders in order to keep 'the lowest common denominator' of ryders from hurting themselves!!

Jase copies & stores your original set-up as well as recording what upgrades have been applied, so if for any or whatever reason you ever need to go back to the original set-up or need to get the Upgrade modded or restored, it generally only costs you the postage plus any turn around time....

And all up, I'm STOKED! STILL!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-30-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I’m booked in to see Jase next Monday, Peter. I was going to ride up (about 700 km each way), but it is now forecast for 4 days of rain from Sunday (when I was going to set off). I don’t mind riding in the rain, but riding in rain all the way up and back is not high on my list of priorities these days. I’ll either reschedule, remove the ECM and mail it up, or remove the ECM and drive it up(if I feel like a couple of days away). It looks like only 3 bolts and a couple of connectors on the F3-L, although those connectors look like doozeys to disconnect. Jase thinks he has just the tune for me.......not the same as yours as I don’t really need an “into orbit” setting

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I dunno that mine's got an 'into orbit' tune setting Pete, I've seen a couple of comp ATV's with his 'go really fast' tunes, and mine's a whole lot more civilized than they are - it's all just smooooth power delivery from the first twist of the throttle!! Admittedly, IMHO the V-twins are a 'more exciting' engine that is peakier & revs harder than the somewhat 'lethargic' seeming 1330's, which have tons of torque but don't really ever get all that 'exciting' or 'excited' unless you seriously crank that right wrist, & even then it's sorta like a party in a home for Old & Retired Nuns - they are old enough to know how to party, and they may have even seen a wild party once or twice in their lives, but they are far too proper & aware of their standing in the community to ever allow themselves to break out & tarnish that image in the slightest!! But I really do think the ECU Upgrades that Jase does basically make the Spyders do & be what you'd EXPECT them to do & be from the factory for whichever motor you've got!!

Instead of a party for old & retired Nuns, you get a full on Partee!! In the case of the 1330's, it might be a full on Party for healthy & recently retired Baby Boomers who are still very aware of their status & standing in the community & who only want to make people THINK they could have fun & be a bit wild every now & then, but it is full on & they DO sorta 'cut loose' a bit, albeit in a little bit of a restrained & polite way; while the V-twins go from a middle aged weekend golf club 'do' to a full on Twenty to Fifty something week on a Party Cruise Ship!! Not quite a 'throw your car keys into the bowl & see what comes out' type thing, but certainly a bungee jumping, tandem parachuting, never tried to drink that, or that much type of event!!

But whatever way you want to Party, an ECU Upgrade from Jase at ECU Xtreme will make your party a whole lot more FUN!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Did an RT and F3

https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/

This is a clip of my flashed 2015 RT. It's not really as loud as it sounds. Kind of speaks for itself. But like Pete says it's what we deserve from can-am. Can you imagine buying an 8 cylinder Mustang and have them tune it down to a 6 cylinder? Given the Spyder's weight and the many dynos I have paid for, I suspect I'm pushing about 125 to 130 hp with the flash at 8,600 red line.

Flashed my 2016 F3L. Had a 12 mph gain through the test area speed trap over stock, 104 mph to 116 mph. Just a total hot rod that hauls butt ANYTIME you crack the throttle. 6th gear is a little sleepy. Where I really notice the power is taking 3rd or 4th gear down low in the rpm range and run it up to 7,200 rpm. It just absolutely flies through the rpm's in this area. I have the 8,600 red line and it gets kind of ridiculous from 7,200 to red line. I spend most my time shifting well below 6000 rpm as the bike really scoots around. I can smoke the tire off the line at will and can beak traction snapping the throttle open around 6000 rpm in 1st gear.

I can't explain it but a flash smooths out and improves shifting. Maybe some is break in but there is less clunking?
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

I had Monster do mine about a month ago. At first I did not notice any difference til I realized the rear tire was spinning and it got up to 60 real fast. Haven't ridden as much as I would like and I'm having surgery on the 6th of June. So far I am very happy. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Re edu flash

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post

This is a clip of my flashed 2015 RT. It's not really as loud as it sounds. Kind of speaks for itself. But like Pete says it's what we deserve from can-am. Can you imagine buying an 8 cylinder Mustang and have them tune it down to a 6 cylinder? Given the Spyder's weight and the many dynos I have paid for, I suspect I'm pushing about 125 to 130 hp with the flash at 8,600 red line.

Flashed my 2016 F3L. Had a 12 mph gain through the test area speed trap over stock, 104 mph to 116 mph. Just a total hot rod that hauls butt ANYTIME you crack the throttle. 6th gear is a little sleepy. Where I really notice the power is taking 3rd or 4th gear down low in the rpm range and run it up to 7,200 rpm. It just absolutely flies through the rpm's in this area. I have the 8,600 red line and it gets kind of ridiculous from 7,200 to red line. I spend most my time shifting well below 6000 rpm as the bike really scoots around. I can smoke the tire off the line at will and can beak traction snapping the throttle open around 6000 rpm in 1st gear.

I can't explain it but a flash smooths out and improves shifting. Maybe some is break in but there is less clunking?
    Dennis
    where do I get this flash done

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    where do I get this flash done
    You either ship your ECU to Monster in Canada or one of his partners in the US.

Wick-It Performance
    1725D N Hearne Ave
    Shreveport, LA 71107

I can't remember the name of the other place in NC but do a search on the forum and it should be posted by myself or Dennis somewhere....

Get the Flash Form from Monster's website and fill it out and include with your ECM.

It takes some time to actually apply the flash so it isn't something you can ryde in and get done on the spot I wouldn't imagine....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Who in Canada ???
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Who in Canada ???

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Who in Canada ???
    Forget the 'who in Canada' part of the question and just ask who does the best ECU remap … ANYWHERE ?

(I packed mine up (from Australia) and sent it over to Steve at Monster … and all back and in, in under 3 weeks with more than suitable amounts of their 'pixie dust' applied)

Monster ECU …. Monster ECU …. Monster ECU …. Monster ECU …. Monster ECU …. Monster ECU ….

No more dead spots, goes like stink and better fuel economy to-boot… Yehaa!

Spyder Garage

But Fat'n, you coulda had yours done by Jase at ECU Xtreme just down the road on the Gold Coast..... woulda been back a helluva lot quicker, & a whole lot easier to get any upgrades or fine -tuning done!! (And arguably a whooole lot better too! )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But Fat'n, you coulda had yours done by Jase at ECU Xtreme just down the road on the Gold Coast..... woulda been back a helluva lot quicker, & a whole lot easier to get any upgrades or fine -tuning done!! (And arguably a whooole lot better too! )
    Mate that's what I was originally aiming and planning for …. that is until I found out he is over $200 AUD more expensive than everything combined including freight to and from Canada to Monster return for his 'service'

Then add atop that … shipping both ways up and back from the Coast and that's bloody ridiculous … Pretty much all up better than about $250 AUD CHEAPER for me to send it return INTERNATIONALLY to Canada ...so where's the sense in that?

I don't need or want to support the local bloke when he's bending me (us) all over a barrel just because he can …

I cannot get over the greed factor that's come and coming over our country top to bottom in the last 10 or 15 years just because people recon they can … Its like everyone wants and has to be a millionaire yesterday and BTW all before they are 40 years of age or so. I expect to pay for a quality job but that's just plain greed and BS

Mate as for better … dunno … we would have to compare apples with apples but I am very, very impressed with what I received back from Monster … Goes like stink (if I want it too) great fuel economy, no more dead spots … and still not been quite game enough to explore the 'nether regions' of giving it a gutt full!
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 07-06-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post

I don't need or want to support the local bloke when he's bending me (us) all over a barrel just because he can …
    That’s an interesting perspective, Faten. Having recently dealt with Jason, I would have to say that ripping us off “because he can” is not part of his makeup. I assume you are privy to exactly what goes into Jason’s costs and Monster’s costs for setting up their particular aftermarket tune, otherwise your claims would be unjustified (and a bit naughty).

I don’t know about others who have used Jason’s services, but I most certainly do not feel that I have, in any way, shape or form, been bent over a barrel, so please don’t include me in the “(us) all” that you have used in your sentence above.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Monster Fuel Injection 😎👍

I’ve had the Monster Fuel Injection flash done and after a few hundred miles I’d say it was money well spent.. My only hesitation to have this done was to have the stage 2 update in place because I didn’t want to ship back and forth and I also have been working on a cold air intake..
    Glad I waited for the stage 2 and this thing rips!!!
    It was a pleasure to work with Steve and like many have said before:: This is how they should run to begin with!!
    Best upgrade / Bang for buck of anything so far..
    BTW I have a 2015 F3s SM6

Spyder Garage

Default BUMP

​BUMP

Spyder Garage

I don't see a stage 2 listed on Monster's site. Where do you find that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amcvay1979 View Post
    I don't see a stage 2 listed on Monster's site. Where do you find that?
    You have to talk to Steve / call or email.. Great people to deal with 😎
    I’m one of the testers..

Spyder Garage

Default stage two kit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    You have to talk to Steve / call or email.. Great people to deal with 😎
    I’m one of the testers..
    I believe stage two is a complete kit. Air intake kit, pipe configuration and a flash. There was also a stage 3 TURBO kit just about out?? Basically it just transforms parts from the See-Doo Turbo motors to fit our motor.
    I just am thrilled at the total hot rod my F3L is after the basic flash. Why anyone wouldn't want 25% more performance across the entire rpm rang for the price yet spend the same money on a cat delete that robs power is beyond me? The basic flash delivers this on a totally stock bike, no other mods required.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Dennis in Lodi;1394438]I believe stage two is a complete kit. Air intake kit, pipe configuration and a flash. There was also a stage 3 TURBO kit just about out?? Basically it just transforms parts from the See-Doo Turbo motors to fit our motor.
    I just am thrilled at the total hot rod my F3L is after the basic flash. Why anyone wouldn't want 25% more performance across the entire rpm rang for the price yet spend the same money on a cat delete that robs power is beyond me? The basic flash delivers this on a totally stock bike, no other mods required.
    Dennis[/QUOTE

I have the complete Stage 2 flash and also added my cold air intake to bring in cooler air from outside of the body work..
    I’m very happy with the results and at this stage,, what I really need is a stickier rear tire!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I believe stage two is a complete kit. Air intake kit, pipe configuration and a flash. There was also a stage 3 TURBO kit just about out?? Basically it just transforms parts from the See-Doo Turbo motors to fit our motor.
    Dennis
    And what folks forget to take into consideration when they start doing mods that actually increase the HP/Torque levels above stock is, the rest of the machine isn't built for it! Remember, the Stage 1 flash (basic if you want to call it that) is simply unlocking what is already there and currently being limited by BRP's tuning!

You think there are prominent front sprocket/clutch/transmission issues now!? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HP!! And I have gone down the rabbit hole many times in my "modding" career. Most recently with my 2010 Camaro when I supercharged it etc.... But in the Spyder arena where the aftermarket support is completely missing in terms of the items I mentioned, it will be a serious gamble....

I'm with Dennis on this one and will continue to enjoy the Stage 1 flash (can't really call it basic now can we Dennis? ) on mine! Heck, even the Stage 1 flash has one downside! My rear tire life has gone down the tubes!!

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    And what folks forget to take into consideration when they start doing mods that actually increase the HP/Torque levels above stock is, the rest of the machine isn't built for it! Remember, the Stage 1 flash (basic if you want to call it that) is simply unlocking what is already there and currently being limited by BRP's tuning!

You think there are prominent front sprocket/clutch/transmission issues now!? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HP!! And I have gone down the rabbit hole many times in my "modding" career. Most recently with my 2010 Camaro when I supercharged it etc.... But in the Spyder arena where the aftermarket support is completely missing in terms of the items I mentioned, it will be a serious gamble....

I'm with Dennis on this one and will continue to enjoy the Stage 1 flash (can't really call it basic now can we Dennis? ) on mine! Heck, even the Stage 1 flash has one downside! My rear tire life has gone down the tubes!!
    I just wanted to post my thoughts on what I thought was a great return on my $$$..
    The stage 2 upgrade is free for those who paid for the Stage 1 and gives more wiggle room for adding more air to the equation and a few more tweaks..
    I’m totally good with everyone being satisfied with what they have because happy is a great place to be 😎
    However,, anyone that’s been doing this for a long time like I have knows the reality of the situation and that is: You can be totally satisfied with what you have until you get passed by someone with more..
    As far as driveline problems going forward,, I doubt that is a concern but time will tell.
    If there is a Turbo upgrade,, I will sign up for that as well..

Spyder Garage

Just remember, don't blame BRP for detuning or denutting or whatever these bikes. I'm sure they don't want to, they have to do it. They are mandated by bureaucrats from the EU, EPA, CARB, etc to make these engines smog compliant regardless of what it does otherwise.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6