Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Flash

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    How did you pay them? Did you send in the ECU and cover first, or did you have to pay them first? I'm thinking of having mine done too.
    I payed with paypal threw the Wick- it site. 391.50 plus return shipping came out to 411.50 for stage 1. Download and print the form from Monster power and fill it out to ship out with your ecu. 123.00 more for stage 2
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had a DESS error today at the gas station. I hope it is not related to the flash.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

At Buc-ees they have ethanol free regular gas but it is 92 octane. I filled up.221CFAB5-465C-4E2C-A984-C0564DC03567.jpg
    Last edited by AY4B; 06-18-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: To add photo
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I had a DESS error today at the gas station. I hope it is not related to the flash.
    Nope - they are very separate things …… I just posted to " HayRog " about the DESS issue …. I think you still have the warranty ??? …. if so the dealer must fix it ….. hopefully this season …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    How did you pay them? Did you send in the ECU and cover first, or did you have to pay them first? I'm thinking of having mine done too.
    I paid through their website..
    Still ONE VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER HERE!!

Spyder Garage

I will just probably ryde to Spyderpops and have them just turn it off. They have a Megatech Buds license. It was the first time and I will begin to carry both keys just in case.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The reason I thought it might be related to the flash is because I chose to keep the stock Push mode button to start option, but it starts anyway without pushing mode but you still need to push it to clear the screen to see the speedometer. I messaged James Thorne and he assured me they are not related.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have a photo of the airbox after the stage 2 mod?
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Spyder Garage

The stage 2 air box lid mod is simply 2 holes about 3/4 to 1" in dia. With the top of the air filter in the way it doesn't seem like it would make much air flow.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The stage 2 air box lid mod is simply 2 holes about 3/4 to 1" in dia. With the top of the air filter in the way it doesn't seem like it would make much air flow.
    According to MFI,, It does make a difference along with the 2-3 inch hole that is already in the side of the air box..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    Does anyone have a photo of the airbox after the stage 2 mod?
    I believe someone posted a pic earlier in this thread.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I was hoping Dennis would see this and post the pic he sent me of his that he just got back from Monster. Here it is. Nothing to write home about for sure. With the size and placement of the holes I see only hotter engine bay air and questionable flow gains, but time and testing will tell.... Dennis is weather locked at the moment but is contemplating a "trip" to warmer weather to do his testing. 308gunner has received his as well as is testing I believe....
    Post 71, Page 3
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Do you get problems with the warranty if you flash the ECU or have any of you got problems because of it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes permanent smile

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I believe stage two is a complete kit. Air intake kit, pipe configuration and a flash. There was also a stage 3 TURBO kit just about out?? Basically it just transforms parts from the See-Doo Turbo motors to fit our motor.
    I just am thrilled at the total hot rod my F3L is after the basic flash. Why anyone wouldn't want 25% more performance across the entire rpm rang for the price yet spend the same money on a cat delete that robs power is beyond me? The basic flash delivers this on a totally stock bike, no other mods required.
    Dennis
    So you did a stage one flash, not the stage two? I'm thinking of having my F3 done. I don't want to go too radical because sometimes what benefits performance in certain ways detracts from it in others.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

so fatboy, telle me more ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

stage 2 with cat delete still streetable but when you wana go you better hang on i have the very same bike as you bat

Spyder Garage

chances are they are not updating the EEPROM because you do not need more memory they just overwrite the parameters that are all ready there. You have to send it in because it is cheaper for them to not have to make equipment like the dyno power unit , and we do not have to buy a programmer. I reflash ECM for chevy's and the equipment is not cheap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

oh ya also 115 mph so far

Spyder Garage

Ok why doesnt anyone answer this question ? or did I miss it? Does B.U.D.S overwrite the FLASH when the shop plug the bike in for service or updates??
    Lamonster Bumpskid
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Tricled LED Backup light
    Tricled LED Headlight
    Lordco LED Signal Light
    Jurock Windshield
    Sirius XM Satellite Radio

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    Ok why doesnt anyone answer this question ? or did I miss it? Does B.U.D.S overwrite the FLASH when the shop plug the bike in for service or updates??

That depends a whole lot on exactly how the Flash or ECU Upgrade is done! Broadly speaking, those upgrades that are done via the OBD port &/or without removing the ECU from the bike will be more likely to be called a 'flash' and be more likely to be ABLE to be over-written by BUDS or any service work. Still, that level of BUDS change is only likely to happen if the ECU needs another upgrade or a patch fix from the manufacturer; but it certainly is possible & is waaay more likely than if you get one of the better 'remove the ECU' upgrades....

Those Upgrades that are done by removing the ECU & cracking it open to actually physically modify things &/or directly upgrade some of the chips or settings in there are very unlikely to be easily over-written even if the manufacturer applies a patch or upgrade via BUDS &/or the UBD. Usually the only way an operator or technician will be able to even TELL that the ECU has been upgraded 'properly' that way will be if they specifically search for tell-tales, like checking the ECU for signs of being opened, or looking for a changed max rev limit, or viewing the specific settings of the mapping, ie, things they very rarely do &/or most run of the mill techs aren't really capable of doing anyway!

And effectively, the only way to 'completely remove' the 'properly' upgraded ECU mapping is to reverse what was done to achieve the upgrade in the first place, which would entail cracking the ECU open again & replacing any changed components & re-writing any upgraded settings. So, if your ECU has been upgraded 'properly', it's extremely unlikely that it'll be easily recognised by anyone doing any 'run of the mill' servicing or just thru connecting BUDS, and even if they do realise somethings been upgraded, it's even more unlikely that they'll be able to down-grade whatever back to its previous settings via the UBD/BUDS! My 2013 RT's Upgrade has been there for quite a while now, a few years even, and it's had a few services done, been connected & upgraded via BUDS more than just once, and apart from noting that I've always kept it well up in the revs, the ONLY comment from any tech has been after a test ride, when the tech concerned said "that's gotta be the best performing Spyder I've ever ridden. It pulls like a train all the way, doesn't it?! I wish they were all that good!"

But if you bought a cheapy 'upgrade' or 'flash', maybe something you picked up off the internet, & it was applied via the UBD port, then you'll have received exactly what you paid for, ie, a cheapie flash, and that means there's a very good chance that it'll be over-written if they ever hafta plug it in to BUDS to reset or upgrade anything!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That depends a whole lot on exactly how the Flash or ECU Upgrade is done! Broadly speaking, those upgrades that are done via the OBD port &/or without removing the ECU from the bike will be more likely to be called a 'flash' and be more likely to be ABLE to be over-written by BUDS or any service work. Still, that level of BUDS change is only likely to happen if the ECU needs another upgrade or a patch fix from the manufacturer; but it certainly is possible & is waaay more likely than if you get one of the better 'remove the ECU' upgrades....

Those Upgrades that are done by removing the ECU & cracking it open to actually physically modify things &/or directly upgrade some of the chips or settings in there are very unlikely to be easily over-written even if the manufacturer applies a patch or upgrade via BUDS &/or the UBD. Usually the only way an operator or technician will be able to even TELL that the ECU has been upgraded 'properly' that way will be if they specifically search for tell-tales, like checking the ECU for signs of being opened, or looking for a changed max rev limit, or viewing the specific settings of the mapping, ie, things they very rarely do &/or most run of the mill techs aren't really capable of doing anyway!

And effectively, the only way to 'completely remove' the 'properly' upgraded ECU mapping is to reverse what was done to achieve the upgrade in the first place, which would entail cracking the ECU open again & replacing any changed components & re-writing any upgraded settings. So, if your ECU has been upgraded 'properly', it's extremely unlikely that it'll be easily recognised by anyone doing any 'run of the mill' servicing or just thru connecting BUDS, and even if they do realise somethings been upgraded, it's even more unlikely that they'll be able to down-grade whatever back to its previous settings via the UBD/BUDS! My 2013 RT's Upgrade has been there for quite a while now, a few years even, and it's had a few services done, been connected & upgraded via BUDS more than just once, and apart from noting that I've always kept it well up in the revs, the ONLY comment from any tech has been after a test ride, when the tech concerned said "that's gotta be the best performing Spyder I've ever ridden. It pulls like a train all the way, doesn't it?! I wish they were all that good!"

But if you bought a cheapy 'upgrade' or 'flash', maybe something you picked up off the internet, & it was applied via the UBD port, then you'll have received exactly what you paid for, ie, a cheapie flash, and that means there's a very good chance that it'll be over-written if they ever hafta plug it in to BUDS to reset or upgrade anything!
    whether you flash the ecu by splitting the ecu or flashing via obd port the same ecu tables are being modified both methods read the ecu eeprom then write back modified tables.nothing is upgraded when splitting the ecu other than the ecu tables. In the unlikely event the dealer had to do a full ecu reset tunes would be lost with both methods.Whats cheap about dynojet power vision or maptunerx?
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

these companies are not opening up your ECU they are using the same ports that the BUDS use. where did you guys here that they are splitting open the ECU

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gom View Post
    these companies are not opening up your ECU they are using the same ports that the BUDS use. where did you guys here that they are splitting open the ECU
    Monster fuel injection in Canada had to split the ecu in the past now they don't. I believe the re-sellers in the USA still have to split the ecu read the eeprom chip send file to Monster fuel injection in Canada who mod file then send back to re-seller to wright back to the eeprom chipsoic8-sop8-flash-chip-ic-test-clips-socket-adapter-programmer-bios-242593.jpg
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic