Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the semi-auto is the way to go, but I know there are folks that will only get the manual.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I am 76 also my wife and i have a 2014 ST Limited 998 engine and a 2017 RTS 1330 engine. The three cylinder is much easier to ride and the RT is just all round a more comfortable machine to ride.

I guarantee you will be happier with a newer machine with the 1330 engine and probably find the RT a lot more comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Surprisingly, I found a 2011 RS-S on FaceBookMarketplace with 14k on the odometer ! It turned out to have as many accessories added to it as I paid for the Spyder itself. The previous owner was an accessory-oholic ! It was from a dealer and very well-priced ! it turned out well for me ---- good luck !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Terraplane8Bob View Post
    Surprisingly, I found a 2011 RS-S on FaceBookMarketplace with 14k on the odometer ! It turned out to have as many accessories added to it as I paid for the Spyder itself. The previous owner was an accessory-oholic ! It was from a dealer and very well-priced ! it turned out well for me ---- good luck !
    This post started in 2018!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This THREAD started in 2018!!
    Fixed it for you Mikey, your post in this thread was only just over an hour ago!

. . .
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Fixed it for you Mikey, your post in this thread was only just over an hour ago!

. . .
    Thanks Pete!!! You know it's old THREADS like this that could be cleaned out after a while I would think!! I know, you can't!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

But the wonderful thing about Forums (as opposed to faceache & the like) is that unlike many other modern 'social media sites' (you get the drift... ) they actually KEEP this vast database of collected community knowledge and experience; and even if the search engine here isn't exactly 'state of the art', all this collected info is retrievable and shared with the broader community for them to browse upon and learn from well into the forseeable future!!

Seriously, it's the people that shared their knowledge and experience in these old threads that makes this place as helpful as it is!! . Without them and these old threads.....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh how I do not like FB, but that's just me. No offense to those that do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garydj View Post
    Hello all! I'm desiring to purchase a Spryder. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and while I like it, I'm starting to consider a Spyder to keep me safe. I'm 67 and starting to feel uncertain when at stops and in slow turns. I do plan to be riding for many years yet, but want to be safe.

Since I am retired, my budget is somewhat restricted. There is a 2012 RT with 11,000 miles for $13,999 at a dealer near by. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I am wondering this is a good buy or if I would be better served to buy a new low-end F3. I like to travel, so the RT appeals for that reason, but I am not sure if I should be concerned with the age of a 2012 model. I am 6' and 250 lb with some lower back issues. I will be sitting on both and getting a test ride if possible.

Thoughts?

Gary
    Gary,
    Welcome to this site!

I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 , it had the 998 engine. It was a great machine. I would have to shift up/or down at the higher RPM. The 2012 had a 800 w alternator. It had to be plugged-in on a battery tender, if i was not riding it for long time( to keep the battery charged).

I traded up to my current spyder, which is a 2014 RTS-SE6, it has the 1330 Ace Engine, lower maintenance, quieter engine, you can/or it will shift down automatically for you. You can cruise around town at a lower RPM in 6th gear. It has blue tooth capability, heated hand passenger/driver hand grips , you can adjust the windshield on the fly! It is a very smooth ride, plenty of storage , and plenty of power with a passenger/or towing a trailer. When going up a hill, you have plenty of power. No lugging, It has a 1200 W alternator, to charge any of the electronics. You can change the oil at 9500 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

But I would check the For "Sale by Owner" on this site. I would also take a test ride on the F3 or RT.
    https://www.cycletrader.com/

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I like re-reading these "older" threads when they pop up. It is like meeting old friends again and renewing some of what I learned on that go around.

And...we get to see who occasionally gets caught by them. I have done it too.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-28-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red