Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyderlover looking for advice

Hello all! I'm desiring to purchase a Spryder. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and while I like it, I'm starting to consider a Spyder to keep me safe. I'm 67 and starting to feel uncertain when at stops and in slow turns. I do plan to be riding for many years yet, but want to be safe.

Since I am retired, my budget is somewhat restricted. There is a 2012 RT with 11,000 miles for $13,999 at a dealer near by. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I am wondering this is a good buy or if I would be better served to buy a new low-end F3. I like to travel, so the RT appeals for that reason, but I am not sure if I should be concerned with the age of a 2012 model. I am 6' and 250 lb with some lower back issues. I will be sitting on both and getting a test ride if possible.

Thoughts?

Gary
    2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you seen any 2014 on up in your price range yet?

Have you test driven any Spyders yet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

I have not seen any 2014 for sale and have not ridden any models yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Additional answer to a question with a question...

To expand on the first question above, in 2014, BRP introduced a new, larger engine to their models and if I can be so bold as to distill a point of view, the *general* opinion is that the 1330 (2014+) is an improvement from an overall ownership experience standpoint over the 998 (2013 and prior). $0.02.

I would also answer with another question: are you someone who really enjoys tinkering with your bike or are you someone like me who is basically the poster child for the MCDA (Mechanically Challenged Doofuses of America)?
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garydj View Post
    I have not seen any 2014 for sale and have not ridden any models yet.
    You can use Cycletrader.com or a similar internet buy/sell site to do a search on the model type and year of Spyder you're considering. The search parameters usually ask for your zip code and a search radius distance in miles. The search results will give you an idea of what's out there in your region, and how prices vs features are running. That should give you an idea of whether your dealer's asking price on that RT is in the ball park or not. Good luck!

@bhern MCDA.................... Good one!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Test ride the different models first, then start looking. I am 6'2" and the RTL is close to the limits for my leg length. Also, the leg position is different for the RT's and F3's, so that may make a big difference in comfort for your back.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Hello all! I'm desiring to purchase a Spryder. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and while I like it, I'm starting to consider a Spyder to keep me safe. I'm 67 and starting to feel uncertain when at stops and in slow turns. I do plan to be riding for many years yet, but want to be safe.

Since I am retired, my budget is somewhat restricted. There is a 2012 RT with 11,000 miles for $13,999 at a dealer near by. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I am wondering this is a good buy or if I would be better served to buy a new low-end F3. I like to travel, so the RT appeals for that reason, but I am not sure if I should be concerned with the age of a 2012 model. I am 6' and 250 lb with some lower back issues. I will be sitting on both and getting a test ride if possible.

Thoughts?

Gary
    Gary, I'm only 60 and did exactly what you're considered. Best Bike I've ever rode (at 50+). And I tried both F3's and RT's, we bought an RT. Definitely get the bike that you feel most comfortable on. My wife wouldn't ride with me anymore on the old bikes, but she loves the seating position and security the RT gives her. We just finished a 3 day ride in 100 degree plus temps and staying hydrated was our only concern, we rode over 750 miles and loved our '13 RT. I have a good friend that has a '12 RT and we've done an Iron Butt Ride last July 5 with a couple more planned for this year (one of them down to Olathe and back). $13,999 sounds high for a '12 even with those miles. Check it out as others have said. I went through 5 different possibilities before getting the deal on our '13.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-30-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added trip to Olathe note
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thoughts?

Gary

The 2012 year RT was the best of the 998 engine models, but as others have said. If you can find a 14 or newer that would be better.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Definitely try to get a test ride, both have such different feels to them. That whole To-mato /tom-ato comparison comes into play.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! That sounds a bit high for the 12 RT, keep searching but definitely test drive both the RT and F3. And if you test ride a newer RT with the 1330 keep in mind that the older model will be a very different machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I have checked Cycle Trader and not found much in my area. I might add that The 2012 RT blue books for $14,100 and it is an automatic which I would prefer. There are two later model Spyders on the Missouri side, but both are manual. I will probably take a look at them also, but for sales tax reasons I would rather buy in Kansas.

To Bhearn: I don't want to tinker with the Spyder much due to all the plastic and that may be a consideration for buying a new or newer model.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thoughts?

Gary
    You had asked about the dealer in Topeka. There's also Reno's in Kansas City, just east of Olathe. There's also an active Kansas City Spyder group. I hope some of them will chime in and give you better info about local choices.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I have checked Cycle Trader and not found much in my area. I might add that The 2012 RT blue books for $14,100 and it is an automatic which I would prefer. There are two later model Spyders on the Missouri side, but both are manual. I will probably take a look at them also, but for sales tax reasons I would rather buy in Kansas.

To Bhearn: I don't want to tinker with the Spyder much due to all the plastic and that may be a consideration for buying a new or newer model.
    You wii pay the sales tax in your state no matter where you buy it. Might want to try Wengers,s. they are a sponsor on this sight.

Spyder Garage

The 2012 for $14K is a bit high. The 2012 is considered the "best" of the 998's.

I have a like new 2011 for sale for $11K. Good enough to fly and drive back home. My ad is attached.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...RT-A-amp-C-SE5

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I heartily agree with the others who have said to test ride all three types of Spyders, 2012 RT, 2014 & newer RT and F3. I cannot comment on the 2012 and defer to those who say it is the best of the V-twin RTs. Nevertheless, you should recognize that the 2014 and newer RTs and F3s are entirely new animals with many valuable features: more low end torque, six speed transmission, reduced maintenance costs due to longer oil and filter change intervals and hydraulic valve lifters so there's no valve adjustment, better gas mileage, Brembo brake systems, zero oil consumption. There are some good 2014 RTs out there for sale. Traveling to pick up one might be worth the cost; only you can decide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ndspyderlover View Post
    You wii pay the sales tax in your state no matter where you buy it. Might want to try Wengers,s. they are a sponsor on this sight.
    I don't want to start a tax debate but would like to make a clarification (and I know you are talking about buying from a dealer):

My state does not charge sales tax on a private citizen to private citizen transaction. If you buy from a dealer (in or out of state) or the seller has a commercial sales license then you pay the tax (but you get credit if you have to pay taxes to another jurisdiction).

Many other states have this same setup.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I don't want to start a tax debate but would like to make a clarification (and I know you are talking about buying from a dealer):

My state does not charge sales tax on a private citizen to private citizen transaction. If you buy from a dealer (in or out of state) or the seller has a commercial sales license then you pay the tax (but you get credit if you have to pay taxes to another jurisdiction).

If I buy from a Kansas dealer, I can include the Sales tax in any loan I take out. If I purchase from an individual or an out of state dealer, then my County DMV will require me to pay the tax when I register. I suppose I could withhold enough of my down payment to cover the tax if I buy out of state. I will need to trade my current Burgman in to be able to afford the Spyder which means I really need to purchase from a dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post

I'd never known that. In Kansas, no matter who you buy from, you pay the sales tax when you register the vehicle at your county office.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NADA , BLUE BOOK ETC.

I have yet to see any Spyder sell for anywhere near the prices that the above CLAIM is their Value..... and the prices they quote are for STOCK - no mods bikes ...... I have to yet see a Stock Spyder either .................. jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

TEST DRIVE. If the bike doesn't fit you the price doesn't matter. You will know if it's right and go for it.

Spyder Garage

Default be patient

Thoughts?

Gary
    Be patient and you will find a better deal.
    I purchased a 2014 RTS from this website in March for $11k with 10k miles and it was less than 100 miles from me.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check with Imotorsports. May have something in your price range and they deliver

Spyder Garage

Check with Imotorsports. May have something in your price range and they deliver
    They do have one 2015 F3 S automatic for $14,999. I'll keep them in mind. A local KC dealer has a similar model in manual for $1000 less. I'll probably start there and see how it is. I'm not totally against a manual, but this Burgman automatic sure has spoiled me!

The free shipping would not work if I am trading I would guess.

Spyder Garage

iMotorsports will deliver your bike and pick up your trade. I have bought 2 new bikes from them and each time I had a trade-in.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do have one 2015 F3 S automatic for $14,999. I'll keep them in mind. A local KC dealer has a similar model in manual for $1000 less. I'll probably start there and see how it is. I'm not totally against a manual, but this Burgman automatic sure has spoiled me!

The free shipping would not work if I am trading I would guess.
    Contact them they would take you trade too.

The semi auto is sweet!

Cant hurt to talk to them to..

Good Luck!