Spyder Garage

Default P0170 Error after braking hard

“2011 SM6 RT” Audio convenience package.
    So I’m baffled. Last year I slammed on the brakes in a traffic intersection and got the P0170 error. Dealer found nothing wrong and cleared the codes. Ran flawlessly till this weekend when a person decided to walk out across the road without looking. Yep I slammed the brakes and got the exact same P0170 error. Bike runs GREAT.. Any suggestions?

thank you
    Rich

Spyder Garage

Yeah, don't slam on the brakes- Sounds like an inconvenience having to go to the dealer and get the codes cleared.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah !!!

Strange things happen on those occasions. I have had a couple and got the limp home and all. I turned her off removed the key put it behind my back re started and the limp home goes away but the check engine stays till I let the computers reset...from the code explanation you must have moved the gas in the tank away from the fuel pump and it sucked some air... but glad you were able to avoid an accident...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Believe it or not it's not a brake problem. Automotive fault codes for emission related functions are all the same regardless of vehicle manufacturer. A Google search, and also in Spyder Codes, shows the code to be related to air/fuel ratio. I think what happened is that when you braked hard you slowed the engine so quickly the ECM couldn't correct the fuel and air intake fast enough to maintain the proper exhaust gas makeup. It may also have resulted from a mismatch between the throttle setting and engine speed caused by the forced slowing of the engine while keeping the throttle open.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Believe it or not it's not a brake problem. Automotive fault codes for emission related functions are all the same regardless of vehicle manufacturer. A Google search, and also in Spyder Codes, shows the code to be related to air/fuel ratio. I think what happened is that when you braked hard you slowed the engine so quickly the ECM couldn't correct the fuel and air intake fast enough to maintain the proper exhaust gas makeup. It may also have resulted from a mismatch between the throttle setting and engine speed caused by the forced slowing of the engine while keeping the throttle open.
    x 2. It has also happened to me.

One other possibility...you may be low by about a teaspoon to tablespoon of fluid. That will also give you brake codes in certain situations. That has happened to me going down a very steep grade at Hatcher Pass. The first time was pretty scary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red