Thread: front end shake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default front end shake

Since I had my front tires changed to Federals, my F3-S rides almost better than new. But, when I brake hard the front end shakes to the point it looks like the fenders will fall off. I asked my mechanic if he thought it is the rotors or not. He said since BRP changed the front bushings to nylon with no grease fittings it was normal especially on RTs. Any ideas???? I thought it would be rotors, because I've had that happen on cars.

Spyder Garage

My thought is for the rotors also. Strange that a mechanic would say it was normal.

If you apply the brakes softly, can you feel the brakes pulsing?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

ti was the rotors on my 2015 rt
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Since I had my front tires changed to Federals, my F3-S rides almost better than new. But, when I brake hard the front end shakes to the point it looks like the fenders will fall off. I asked my mechanic if he thought it is the rotors or not. He said since BRP changed the front bushings to nylon with no grease fittings it was normal especially on RTs. Any ideas???? I thought it would be rotors, because I've had that happen on cars.
    There is a thread here about that, that helped me.
    I put on new tires and when I braked it would shake or pull back an forth. The instructions were to loosen up all the lug nuts and re torque them to the same poundage. I did so and the shake went away.
    I will post the thread if I can find it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Could be rotors. Could be because of incorrect torque on the lug nuts (which can stress the rotors). If there is uneven stress on the rotors. Heating them up can cause a condition similar to warpage. If left untreated. Or if too severe. The rotors can be permanently damaged.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who should know better will say that a problem is 'Normal'. Instead of blowing it off. It would be much better if they would simply diagnose and correct the problem. They are supposed to be 'Professionals'. Which only means that they get paid for it. Not necessarily that they are any good at it.

Whatever you do, do not purchase more OEM rotors. Not only are they more expensive. But they are not nearly as good as the aftermarket options.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Could be rotors. Could be because of incorrect torque on the lug nuts (which can stress the rotors). If there is uneven stress on the rotors. Heating them up can cause a condition similar to warpage. If left untreated. Or if too severe. The rotors can be permanently damaged.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who should know better will say that a problem is 'Normal'. Instead of blowing it off. It would be much better if they would simply diagnose and correct the problem. They are supposed to be 'Professionals'. Which only means that they get paid for it. Not necessarily that they are any good at it.

Whatever you do, do not purchase more OEM rotors. Not only are they more expensive. But they are not nearly as good as the aftermarket options.
    Ron, I am very happy with the EBC pads & rotors I got from you. WAY better than OEM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default shaking

If it did not shake before tires were changed. Then it is improperly torqued wheels. Loosen them up, shake the wheels a little and start snugging them up a little at a time, then torque to specs. Shake should go away.
    2014 RT SE6