Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    My thoughts on the Gatorade is if you drink it dilute it 5:1 with water. Pure Gatorade causes your body to pull water into the gut to dilute it to metabolize the electrolytes.
    Reference please.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I did order a cooling vest. So I will wear that and stay cognizant regarding the heat. This is more dangerous than I knew.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Incomplete or possibly misleading information is sometimes worse than none at all.

It would be better to say "wear WELL VENTILATED" gear instead of just "wear your gear".
    For instance, leathers with little bitty holes in it often provides very poor air circulation.

What exactly do you think it accomplishes to throw insults at people who don't exactly agree with your opinions ?
    I think it is disruptive and accomplishes NOTHING useful.
    Wot, praytell brought this on???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get in the shade whenever I stop. When the temps get to 90 or above, I am off the road and in the A/C.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up And a vented wind shield

We are headed to Southern Arazon for 5 days to visit the grand kids. In the heat I use:
    1. Water at the handlebars ( with a straw) It is refreshed at each fuel stop.

2. Fully vented mesh jacket.
    3. Cooling vest ( which I forgot to pack)

4.Extra Water. Some of which will be used to dampen my tee shirt ( see #3)

5. A vented wind shield!! These really make a difference.!!!!

6. Light color or reflective helmet and jacket. Good venting at the helmet of course.

All the really make a big difference.

Stay cool out there,

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-30-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Wet tee shirt
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Wot, praytell brought this on???
    I quoted the post that "brought it on".
    What part don't you understand ??

Spyder Garage

Reference please.
    Prefaced with “my thoughts” in the original post although there are a mix of references on Google ranging from Gatorades website that it shouldn’t be diluted at all to others recommending various ratios. My viewpoint comes from when I was in grad school an eon ago (which is problematic in itself at this point I admit) working on my masters in exercise physiology and what I was taught.

in most cases you see Gatorade articles paired up with athletic endeavors where electrolytes need replacing at a greater rate. I’m not a doctor but the whole heatstroke thing is preventable by adequate hydration that doesn’t need to include Gatorade, so for me a highly diluted ratio is what works.

if you are eating normally or what is necessary to take care of your hunger and staying adequately hydrated you should be getting everything your body needs to function.

Here is where I have a question though. Given probably 99.9% of the people on this board have more riding experience than I do, how physically demanding is this hobby/passion? It may be far greater than I realize. I certainly understand the environmental concerns, heat cold etc. but physical exertion isn’t something I’ve experienced yet because I haven’t been on any real long rides. That lack of experience also shaped my Gatorade response.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I quoted the post that "brought it on".
    What part don't you understand ??
    What I see is a "tongue in cheek" response to my earlier post. I see no insulting language in this thread until your snide remark. And then this arrogant response to my question. Ye gotta' learn to chill, my friend. You'll be better for it and so will the rest of us, as well.

Now go out there and enjoy life...……………...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That lack of experience also shaped my Gatorade response.
    Since, by your own admission, you are not a doctor......some of the statements you are making might actually be dangerous if taken strictly literally.

Riding is by it's very nature stressful. The level of alertness required is somewhat above driving a car.
    Just the stress puts some strain on your body.

Then add on a very LARGE heat load from the sun (maybe 95 F), the pavement (maybe over 150 F) and the engine you are sitting on (maybe 200 F)......and you need heat dissipation that might well EXCEED that of an athlete in all but the most demanding situations.

This statement in particular is bad advice. Not knowing the exact conditions present, you can't really say that:
    " the whole heatstroke thing is preventable by adequate hydration that doesn’t need to include Gatorade, "
    Adequate cooling is just as important as hydration. The two go hand in hand.

The "whole heatstroke thing" covers a WIDE range of conditions and a wide range of personal chemistrys.
    One size does NOT fit all.

Spyder Garage

Since, by your own admission, you are not a doctor......some of the statements you are making might actually be dangerous if taken strictly literally.

Riding is by it's very nature stressful. The level of alertness required is somewhat above driving a car.
    Just the stress puts some strain on your body.

Then add on a very LARGE heat load from the sun (maybe 95 F), the pavement (maybe over 150 F) and the engine you are sitting on (maybe 200 F)......and you need heat dissipation that might well EXCEED that of an athlete in all but the most demanding situations.

This statement in particular is bad advice. Not knowing the exact conditions present, you can't really say that:
    " the whole heatstroke thing is preventable by adequate hydration that doesn’t need to include Gatorade, "
    Adequate cooling is just as important as hydration. The two go hand in hand.

The "whole heatstroke thing" covers a WIDE range of conditions and a wide range of personal chemistrys.
    One size does NOT fit all.
    Fair enough, everyone should pay attention to what their body is telling them.

You sound like you must be a physician so I defer to you.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-30-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    What I see is a "tongue in cheek" response to my earlier post. I see no insulting language in this thread until your snide remark.
    Given past history, I think he is taking yet another opportunity to throw out an insult.....just for the sake of being nasty.

If you don't know the past history, maybe you don't understand the situation.

My comment was NOT directed at YOU.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sound like you must be a physician so I defer to you.
    No, just have listened to advice from those who ARE.

Spyder Garage

No, just have listened to advice from those who ARE.
    Yeah, me too btw. Look, I wasn’t trying to be all inclusive in my answer. I’m also a pilot so we could start talking altitude as a variable as well. I’m just going to respect the points you’ve made as they are reasonable and walk away at this point and ignore the other “points” you made in your response.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here are couple of good articles from WebMD about heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...nd-treatment#1

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion#

One interesting contrast between the two is with exhaustion you are sweating profusely. With heat stroke you're not sweating. Heat exhaustion can be treated with water and coolness. Heat stroke requires immediate emergency medical care. Heat exhaustion precedes heat stroke and can be caused by water depletion or salt depletion.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)