Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Landed in the emergancy room last night

I was riding over Memorial day in 95F heat for several hours and got heat stroke. I thought if I kept hydrated I would be OK, but no. So I thought I would post some info about it so you will be aware of the symptoms.
    https://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

glad you are ok. How long did they keep. Are you on any meds that make you sensitive UV rays?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Homer knows:

Beer Me.jpg
    Keep hydrated, and protect yourself from the heat...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Hope your all better now. Gonna have to stay away from those kind of heats... Can't ryde when it's too cold and can't ryde when it's too hot... really limiting the ryde....Although I do get many of those symptoms when someone cuts me off...Different kinda heat stroke... Hate to say it but...hope you get some cooler weather to ryde in...Thanks for the info and the heads up..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

did bob take that photo?

Spyder Garage

I have no idea whether this comment applies to the OP or not, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

Contrary to what you might think, riding in tee shirt and shorts is not a good idea no matter how hot it gets. Wear your protective gear. Speaking from over 50 years of riding motorcycles, you will be much more comfortable wearing a ventilated jacket, trousers that can be vented, or at least jeans, and a vented full face helmet even in the heat.
    Stop often, even if only for 5 minutes, to hydrate yourself and to stretch. Hydrate with H2O, not soda, beer or even the specialty so-called "sports" drinks. Plain water has worked for thousands of years and is still the best hydrator.

Ride fast, Ride safe...………………...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I was riding over Memorial day in 95F heat for several hours and got heat stroke. I thought if I kept hydrated I would be OK, but no. So I thought I would post some info about it so you will be aware of the symptoms.
    https://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm

That would have been my assumption, too. Glad you're all better!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have had heat stroke three times over the past 30 years and it is no fun each time it happened. I hope you are doing much better now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    I have no idea whether this comment applies to the OP or not, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

Contrary to what you might think, riding in tee shirt and shorts is not a good idea no matter how hot it gets. Wear your protective gear. Speaking from over 50 years of riding motorcycles, you will be much more comfortable wearing a ventilated jacket, trousers that can be vented, or at least jeans, and a vented full face helmet even in the heat.
    Stop often, even if only for 5 minutes, to hydrate yourself and to stretch. Hydrate with H2O, not soda, beer or even the specialty so-called "sports" drinks. Plain water has worked for thousands of years and is still the best hydrator.

That is GREAT advice!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

We stop often, wear our cooling vest and trade off each stop drinking water than the next stop one of the power-ade drinks, I always keep an eye on my wife as she does not like drinking water but has learned that I'm not going to let up. Back when I was a young carpenter and bagged up as a framer I would drink 5 gallons of water every day , just water in my cooler but not iced. My old wrangler shirts had a permanent X on the back from suspenders from the sun and sweat. I always wore a hat and a long sleeve shirt. The cooling vest makes the difference from riding or not . We try not to ride during the heat of the day and we start very early most days when we are on trips .
    Glad to hear you are alright.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I have had heat stroke three times over the past 30 years and it is no fun each time it happened. I hope you are doing much better now
    Very dangerous if it happens while driving a car or riding a motorcycle...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sunday was 98 deg in Chicago. At 10:30 am I was ready to get off the Spyder. Never thought I say that

Now Alberto is moving this way>
    Last edited by trikermutha; 05-29-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

We ride in the heat a lot down South.

There are two ways to tell if you're getting close to heat-stroke.

1- You don't have to pee at the gas station.

In that case, chug a bottle of Gaterade, not water. Gaterade has electrolytes in it that replenishes what you've sweated out.

2- You start riding stupid, making poor decisions.

In that case, I pull you over and make you drink a bottle of water with sea salt in it. Yeah, your riding stupid and need some help. Sea salt is different that salt pills, it has more of the electrolytes that your body needs. Hubby starts coming around about five minutes after he drinks it. He hates like the taste, but he feels better afterwards. I keep it in my purse.

In the heat, make sure you pee at every gas station you stop at. No caffeine drinks or sugary beverages, they will both dehydrate you. Also, the adult beverages you drank the night before can contribute to dehydration.

Choose wisely Grasshopper...
    Last edited by Yazz; 05-29-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

This is a real concern for my wife and me this time of year. We usually stop often, sometimes after traveling as little as 50 miles. Drink lots of water even though not thirsty. This season I bought us water bottles that also have a mister on them. The idea besides drinking, is to occasionally spray water around the neck and chest area while riding. Haven't tried them out yet but the temperature is ripe for the trying. Maybe tomorrow. It'll be 100. I never leave home this time of year without lots of water, even in the cage
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on my one experience with heat stress, you may not feel the effects of the hot weather until a day or two later. The effects can be cumulative. Several years ago I was at a regional GWRRA rally in Pendleton, OR. On Friday I took a motorcycle course in 95+ temps on a hot asphalt parking lot. I don't remember what I did in the heat on Saturday. Sunday, on my way home, I started feeling chilled so I pulled into a rest area to take a nap. That didn't work so I got back on the Goldwing and proceeded to drive off the edge of the asphalt on the way out of the rest area. An Oregon state trooper came by a few minutes later and helped me the bike back up and the trailer hooked on again. I took off, went around the corner getting onto the highway, and proceeded to drive off the asphalt again. Fortunately the trooper was still there so helped me get going again. I then managed to keep control of things and got to a restaurant about an hour later I stopped for lunch and more or less napped for an hour. Shortly after I left there I ran into rain. That helped me a lot. I was late getting home.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May sound strange but when I'm low on water and in the heat I can feel it in my muscles first.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post

Be careful with posts like this, it is factual, based on science, this sort of post is not tolerated by some on the bored (intentional misspelling)! But I agree 100%!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Homer knows:
    Keep hydrated, and protect yourself from the heat...
    DOH

Alcohol in ANY form is not good. It tends to make the dehydration worse not better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    In that case, I pull you over and make you drink a bottle of water with sea salt in it. ..
    I still think that Gatoraid is better.
    Drinking salt water sometimes makes you vomit, thus making the situation MUCH worse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    May sound strange but when I'm low on water and in the heat I can feel it in my muscles first.
    Not strange at all.
    Muscle cramps is one sign of dehydration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Be careful with posts like this, it is factual, based on science, this sort of post is not tolerated by some on the bored (intentional misspelling)! But I agree 100%!
    Incomplete or possibly misleading information is sometimes worse than none at all.

It would be better to say "wear WELL VENTILATED" gear instead of just "wear your gear".
    For instance, leathers with little bitty holes in it often provides very poor air circulation.

What exactly do you think it accomplishes to throw insults at people who don't exactly agree with your opinions ?
    I think it is disruptive and accomplishes NOTHING useful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I was riding over Memorial day in 95F heat for several hours and got heat stroke.
    When you feel up to it, would you be willing to post some more details.......as in, what you might do differently in the future ?

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another drawback to suffering heat stress, and especially heat stroke, is that you will now be more susceptible to suffering it again. As said, heat stress is very serious; heat stroke is a medical emergency. Neither should be taken lightly.

We can acclimate our bodies to tolerating heat by gradually increasing our activities in hot weather but sudden exposure to elevated temps, such as riding in elevated temps above the normal during a heat wave, is asking for trouble, especially if you don't hydrate.

Simply drinking as you ride very likely will not be enough in really hot, humid weather. You need to start drinking the day before to maximize your body's reserves of fluid and it is very important to continue to drink often, during and after, strenuous activity. It's also important to avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks, as these are diuretics and will remove fluid from your body.

As a general rule, if your pee is not clear, you are already dehydrated. This is NOT something to take lightly. It can be serious. Deadly serious.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

My thoughts on the Gatorade is if you drink it dilute it 5:1 with water. Pure Gatorade causes your body to pull water into the gut to dilute it to metabolize the electrolytes.

In heat situations 90% of what your body needs is get to a cooler place and get hydrated with water.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We always drink Pedialite. It has more electrolites than the sport drinks. It is made for dehydrated children. Works very well. I try to drink a minimum of 20 oz. between every gas stop.