Thread: Only 3rd Gear)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Only 3rd Gear)

So we had an interesting experience this past weekend. We were leading a group on one of our "200 Miles to Lunch" rydes and had an absolute blast. On our way down one particularly nice road, my wife, ryding our 2013 RTL said that she could not shift into 5th gear, She then started to slow down a bit and the transmission shifted from 4th to 3rd Gear. As she slowed to a stop at a stop sign she could hear the transmission shift down to first, but the gear indicator still said 3rd Gear. She was unable to to get motorcycle to move at that point. Engine would run but as you applied the gas it would not move. Had AAA tow it to the dealer Saturday afternoon and they were a bit perplexed as to what might have been going and will be looking into it today! Any thoughts?? BTW thanks to Elk Grove Power Sports for taking great care of us on a busy Saturday. We were there for about 30 minutes and they provided us with a Brand (5 miles on the odometer) 2017 RTL! As a loaner to get home! Great people down there!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Had that happen on my 2014 ST-S and it was some loose nut on something cannot remember. Only difference was it still allowed me to ryde but it was slow because of being stuck in 3rd.

Spyder Garage

Just a WAG, gear position sensor malfunction?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Hope it is just an oil or sensor issue. Could go into a series of possibilities but as it is in the shop let us know what they find....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Will do. I am sure I will hear from them later this morning!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Stripped Gearshift lever! Go figure, should be covered under extended warranty!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ouch...
    Thank goodness for the warranty coverage!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just had the same thing happen to my 2012 Se5. Gear shifter striped out. I will now add checking the pinch bolt tightness at every oil change.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Stripped Gearshift lever! Go figure, should be covered under extended warranty!
    That's excellent. We also got the 3 year extension to the warranty through BRP. It's a piece of mind thing for us. Yes, I fully understand those folks that say that by and large, extended warranties are a waste of money, but in the performance car/vehicle department, we have done pretty well with these warranties covering something after the original warranty ran out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Just had the same thing happen to my 2012 Se5. Gear shifter striped out. I will now add checking the pinch bolt tightness at every oil change.
    Ok I am sure I will learn when I pick it up.....but where do I find the "pinch bolt"?

Spyder Garage

Default Not to bad...

Was one of the options. Unfortunately on the SE models you can not feel the looseness coming on as you can with the SM's. Therefore it is a good Idea to check it from time to time to avoid this. Usually you will have issues with the shifting as it gets loose. Still a bummer....

ps...thanks for letting us know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am going to do a dangerous thing here and make an assumption that it is down on the left side of the engine. I didn't do this repair myself as my dealership offered to make this repair on their dime and only charge me for the part($27.47). I wasn't going to pass up an offer like that.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze