Spyder Garage

Default First 1000 mile review

I've owned my 2012 RT now for a little over a month and just put 1000 miles on it, here is what I think of it. First off I want to say that the do's and don't thread is truly on point for new spyder owners.
    I can sit here and list all of the pro's to this machine all day but for time sake I will list the con's that I have found. The biggest down side would be the heat, I have not purchased the 2013 air scoops yet but plan to put them on in two weeks. I hope that with those and wrapping the exhaust under the rear passenger section it will help control the heat. The wife said she can really feel the heat under her right foot radiating from the exhaust pipe. The Radio system with ipod integration really seems dated even for 2012, I have purchased a 12v Bluetooth fm transmitter for $10 that I play my phone through to remedy this problem. A 12v plug in the front of the spyder would be nice, if there was one in the front it would be easier to run or charge items as needed. I plan to install the needed pieces to do so along with a mount for gps/phone.
    Overall this was a great purchase and really wish I would have done it earlier. Only issues I have are purely picking to find stuff but nothing that would make me not want this machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Default It will be yours....

In time you will adjust, mod, and generally fix all the little things along the way. Some you just learn to live with but you won't find a more enjoyable ryde...Our solution for the heat is to leave the desert and head for the coast...works every time.... but if you check with Spyderpops, sponsor vendor on the home page, you will find solutions for heat issues as well....9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are liking the 2012 RT. Consensus over the years puts the 2012 RT as one of the best of the 998's. We have a 2011 and like it a lot also. 28K miles and going strong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had never heard that the 2012 model had a heat problem. Mine didn't.
    So, watch out... you may be making an effort that yields NO benefit.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl