Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Not haters....

I'm not a hater nor are others I'm sure but when these machines are thrown at us as competition or better than our spyder we become defensive...and often explain the difference and the fact they don't fit in our catagory. I wish them luck. SO!! are you in line to get one...??.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'm not a hater nor are others I'm sure but when these machines are thrown at us as competition or better than our spyder we become defensive...and often explain the difference and the fact they don't fit in our catagory. I wish them luck. SO!! are you in line to get one...??.
    I am sincere when I say I WAS seriously considering getting one as soon as they hit the showroom. However during a recent visit to the local Yamaha/Can Am dealership a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10 caught my eye. It had been on the showroom floor for a few months and the dealer was willing to make a good deal to get it gone. So the Niken is no longer in my future but I was one of those people Yamaha had in mind when they developed the bike. As to the FZ-10, I absolutely love it. It is relatively comfortable, 3 riding modes, 3 traction control settings, ABS and cruise control. And did I say fast? Yeah, 998cc inline 4 from the R1.

Spyder Garage

The engineering is superb, I'm sure the quality is great, the ride and drive sound fantastic -- but I can't look at that thing without thinking, "Could they have made it any uglier?" If there are enough sold, surely somebody will come up with some kind of fairing to cover up at least part of that hideous front end. The Piaggio MP3 is breathing a sigh of relief, no longer the ugliest 3-wheeler on the planet.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Its not pretty but I don't buy bikes for that, I've even had a Honda GL650 when I was dispatching - For those who don't know, that's a version of the infamous 'plastic maggot' with a huge ugly fairing.

The power outputs a bit better than the RS and looking at the max power and torque figures its a rev happy engine which I do like. Proper bike sitting position as well, none of the feet forward malarkey. The bars are too high and back but can probably be altered.

So with BRP still not having an RS replacement I'll be taking one for a test ride when they finally arrive on this little island.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like two bikes got married.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that the use of the word "hater" is a bit strong for conversation purposes on this topic.

I don't really see the point of the comparison. The wheels are too close together to offer the stability and control of the the Spyder, therefore I would have to discount it.

I give them stars for the ability to lean, for those that want a touch more stability, but want to keep the "leaner bike" in their wheelhouse, no pun intended.

Hey, the diversity of offerings in the market is what makes for interesting dialogue and reasons to converse with someone. I am VERY certain that there is a market for this bike, just not for me, but I don't hate it either.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A bit heavy for it's engine size but i guess dual wheels will do that

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with "Buckeye"...
    It's not a bike that I would ride; I still find it to be interesting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NIKEN

Just thoughts - possibilities etc., Looks aside ( I don't like it ) .... I have some concerns about what could happen if one of the front tires hits a decent size rock ..... I know the industry have come a long way in the area of suspensions , especially the front. But I have doubts they can maintain optimum traction with that set-up....As I said when one tire hits a rock I think the other tire is going to break contact with the road surface , even if it's just for a mille-second. I don't think that's optimum. And I think with a knowledgeable expert Spyder rider ....the spyder would be faster .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Hater

I agree with most who replied to this thread. Yes, there is a market for this reverse trike. But , I do not think it will appeal to most Spyder riders. I luv my RT Spyder, rode a regular two wheeled Honda 20 years ago, crashed and burned.

Now I'm 55, enjoy the stability of the RT, braking on the RT, comfortability for my wife on the RT, look and design of my RT, no need to hold my bike up at stop signs. For those who chose the Spyder the thrill of leaning into curves is passe'. I enjoy the ride.

2012 RT A&C, 2 Rear Speakers, Chrome Upgrades, Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Corbin Custom Leather Seat,
    Kurykan Iso Handle Bars, Driver floorboards and foot pegs.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with so many others in stating that it is no prom queen. But I said that when ford changed the ranger in 93 (I bought a 94), when they changed the f-150 in 97 (I bought a 97 and currently have an 02), when they changed the fox body mustang front end in 87 (I bought an 87 LX 5.0), and in 2015 when can am came out with the ugly front on the F3 (I currently have a 2016 F3T).
    So, you can bet that I will definitly be in line to give one a test drive when the Yamaha demo truck pulls into my town.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default ROAD KILL

I'VE SEEN 'ROAD KILL' THAT IS MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN THAT THING......
    sorry pal, we all have different likes and dislikes.... let us know how you like yours...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

If it doesn't lock when it is upright and coming to a stop, then what good is a 3 wheeled bike?

Spyder Garage

This is not competition to our Spyders.
    It is a three wheeled motorcycle that will appeal to a different rider.
    No storage, thus it's not a touring machine as most of us view our Spyders.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Not a hater, but..., not a liker either. It's all about different strokes for different folks. Just not me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Proper bike sitting position as well, none of the feet forward malarkey. The bars are too high and back but can probably be altered.
    Yeah, we’re all different, Piston I wouldn’t buy one BECAUSE of the feet tucked back under me. The high bars would be no issue

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

As it doesn't lock in the upright position & has a 32.5" seat height I am afraid I would be spending a lot of time trying to pick it up off its side. I have no problem with its looks.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't hate any bike, reverse trike, trike or cyclecar, as a member of AMA. I am just very happy that everyone who rides is riding. This motorcycle is not for me, but if it is your ride, have a blast riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Its not pretty but I don't buy bikes for that, I've even had a Honda GL650 when I was dispatching - For those who don't know, that's a version of the infamous 'plastic maggot' with a huge ugly fairing.

The power outputs a bit better than the RS and looking at the max power and torque figures its a rev happy engine which I do like. Proper bike sitting position as well, none of the feet forward malarkey. The bars are too high and back but can probably be altered.

So with BRP still not having an RS replacement I'll be taking one for a test ride when they finally arrive on this little island.
    I was thinking the same thing when they arrive here in October

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just thoughts - possibilities etc., Looks aside ( I don't like it ) .... I have some concerns about what could happen if one of the front tires hits a decent size rock ..... I know the industry have come a long way in the area of suspensions , especially the front. But I have doubts they can maintain optimum traction with that set-up....As I said when one tire hits a rock I think the other tire is going to break contact with the road surface , even if it's just for a mille-second. I don't think that's optimum. And I think with a knowledgeable expert Spyder rider ....the spyder would be faster .....jmho .... Mike
    Sorry to burst your bubble but the best, most skilled Spyder rider in the world could not beat the Niken on any road course providing the Niken rider was of equal skill and providing both machines were stock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    If it doesn't lock when it is upright and coming to a stop, then what good is a 3 wheeled bike?
    Did you even read the article? Your answer is there and is explained very well.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Did you even read the article? Your answer is there and is explained very well.
    I trust you're referring to some other comment in the article and not this one?
    Unlike the Piaggio MP3, there’s no locking device to hold you upright; you have to put a foot down at stops.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I trust you're referring to some other comment in the article and not this one?
    I think it’s just the usual written English misinterpretations, Idaho. DND is responding in general terms to “what good is a 3 wheel bike” (i.e safer in corners if you hit a gravel patch etc), and not the specifically mentioned concern of “it doesn’t lock when it’s upright and coming to a stop, so what good is it?”

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but the best, most skilled Spyder rider in the world could not beat the Niken on any road course providing the Niken rider was of equal skill and providing both machines were stock.
    On really bendy roads the Spyder does have some advantages over a bike. You can often brake later, uneven road surfaces in the corners are not an issue, and you can push the tires to the limit without worrying what will happen if it does let go.

It also has disadvantages. Its physically harder ride hard in the bends and you lack the acceleration coming out the corners.

I can ride a motorbike faster through the mountains than a Spyder but I enjoy the Spyder more because I can push it to its limit without worrying. Though the Spyder is more physically demanding (well the way I ride it:-)), I find it less mentally exhausting, which is why I find my Spyder makes a great endurance rally 'bike'.

What's going to be interesting with the Nikon is if it ticks both boxes i.e. less physically demanding but with the extra safety net. One concern I have is the braking because they do mention it not being so good in the article. I would have assumed the extra rubber on the road, electronics etc should have meant they could have very good braking. Suggests that compromises may have been made to soften the experience, similar to Spyders having a low-spec sway bar as standard but brakes are harder to improve.