Spyder Garage

Default Passenger soaked!

Just rolled in from a fantastic four day ride, we got poured on three times, my wife got drenched, the right fender sprayed right into her chest, if she moved closer to me her back got soaked. 2015 RT
    any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ben
    dont say a rain coat. Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benmannino View Post
    Just rolled in from a fantastic four day ride, we got poured on three times, my wife got drenched, the right fender sprayed right into her chest, if she moved closer to me her back got soaked. 2015 RT. any ideas? Thanks Ben dont say a rain coat. Lol
    Could you tell where the spray was coming from? Was it the inside of the fender? Or was it at the bottom trailing edge (where vehicles would put a mud flap)?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default you louivillian

hahahaha just a quick - yank the chain on ya --- { kidding with you } we are in southern Indiana , went to land between the lakes ride last year poured down on the return to the hotel , and you are pretty much going too get wet , the wife said she was pretty soaked in our down pour I was a bit soaked , we had water resistant apparel still soaked , but our friend on the f-3 he did not get soaked he was drowned ! the r-t models have a better water displacement zone , but you still get soaked -----> conclusion -----> pull under a bridge {frog -togs } check these out if you wish

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mud flaps, mud flaps, mud flaps! Three of them, one on each wheel.

Cage...... scrap that!

Rain suit. I didn't say raincoat!!!

The ones my wife and I have worked so well that the last time we put them on (Saturday) the rain clouds that were looking so severe literally collapsed before we got to them! Best darn rain gear I've ever had!!!!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

For the heavy stuff you need a rain suit OR waterproof everything. That is why we have waterproof textiles, boots, and gloves. When you need em, you need em. No fun riding wet and cold.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    For the heavy stuff you need a rain suit OR waterproof everything. That is why we have waterproof textiles, boots, and gloves. When you need em, you need em. No fun riding wet and cold.
    Amen!!! Water resistant just won't cut it. That includes rain suits with hoods on the jackets that fit under helmets, waterproof boot covers, and gloves.
    Last edited by JayBros; 05-28-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

After the ride home with a new RT 2 years ago, the first thing I put on was a mud flap on the back. My wife got soaked from the water coming up off the rear wheel. It was like a vortex sucking all the water out of the back of the bike and on to my wifes helmet and down her back. The mud flap helped.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Sux I know IMG_8289.jpgjust please do better than these:IMG_8291.JPG IMG_8292.jpg IMG_8293.jpg
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-29-2018 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Pics

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Wet

The water was actually coming from the middle of the fender really strange, if you have a site for mudflaps please share.
    Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know what your talking about. My fenders spray from the inside also. I have added mud flaps to the rear and both front fenders using 1/8" landscaping rubber. They work great, but I still get water from the inside of the fenders. The only solution I can think of is to remove the front fenders and apply clear silicone where the black plastic meets the painted part. You could add it without removing the fenders if your not worried about being able to see a little silicone. You can see my front flaps in the picture below. The rear flap was not on it yet when this picture was taken. My rear flap is a generic flap from an auto parts store.
    IMG_2202.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 05-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benmannino View Post
    The water was actually coming from the middle of the fender really strange, if you have a site for mudflaps please share.
    Thank you
    I just bought one from Lordco ( an auto parts dealer) it's black checker plate and looks good. There is still a sponsor on the main page who sells mud flaps.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I agree with the mudflap on the rear wheel. Absolutely necessary, however, there should be factory installed mudflaps on the two front wheels.
    From your description, I'd guess you're missing the mudflap on the right wheel.
    I also agree with what all the others have said about rain gear. If you wear full raingear, you'll be OK. Anything less and you'll get wet.
    There's NO WAY you can ride in the rain without the proper gear and not get wet.
    I'm sure you're grateful that you have someone who will ride with you. You're a remarkably lucky man
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I've never had any problems with spray from the front wheels or fenders, in fact, while ryding solo, if I raise the windscreen & don't stop or go much slower than about 35-40mph I basically don't get wet at all. Yeah, the occasional drop or splatter from over the windscreen, my helmet & visor get a bit wet, and my fingers do too (thinking about fitting 'Bark Busters' for the winter) but the rest of my ryding gear stays mainly dry until the puddle that forms on the pillion seat starts over-flowing & running forwards! And that brings me to ryding with a pillion passenger - the Missus would get SOAKED from behind in even the lightest rain!! Helmet & visor from the front, but the turbulence at the rear of the Spyder would suck up all the spray & lift it over the panniers & top box so that it would then hit the back of her helmet & shoulders, water would run down her neck if she didn't wear a hood, and she'd get REALLY WET from spray due to turbulence lifting all the spray & hitting her from below & behind - the back of her lower legs & under her thighs, water running down her neck & back, & sitting in the ensuing puddle in the seat. She was not impressed...... and I felt every bit of her discomfort!!

I tried a few different mud flaps to fix this, without much change, then thought about sorting the turbulence back there rather than trying fruitlessly to stop the spray; so after trying a few different spoiler styles, I settled on fitting an expandable rack for the backrest/top box from Rivco, & fitted a 1/8th" thick flat sheet of marine ply onto the top of the rack, converting it into a mini 'whale tail spoiler' & as a result, I now have very successfully sorted the 'getting wet from behind while moving' problem!! Check the rack out here:

https://rivcoproducts.com/shop/can-a...ca040bk-black/

Sure, if we are driving slowly or in stop/go traffic in the city, then wet weather gear is essential; but now we've got the whale tail spoiler, if we are out touring or heading somewhere out of town &/or cruising somewhere & travelling at speeds of something between about 60 & 80 mph, we generally don't bother to stop for anything short of a cyclone type down pour these days - we get wetter stopping & putting on wet weather gear than we do from just raising the windscreen & keeping on ryding/cruising until we need to fuel up next or we get to wherever we're going!! The whale tail spoiler stops the bulk of the turbulence from behind, which means no spray to soak the pillion & the front & sides of y he RT stay a lot cleaner, cos we ryde in a bubble of mostly rain & spray free air unless we slow below about 40mph, and it's only my fingers & our helmets that ever get wet - & I wear gloves, plus we've got heated hand grips!

Works well, and I notice there is now a 'this is not a luggage rack' spoiler being sold for RT's that looks pretty much identical to the Rivco expandable rack, only solid plate instead of slotted rack, just like our home-made spoiler! Try it, you'll ryde a lot drier, and your pillion passenger, even more so!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I've never had any problems with spray from the front wheels or fenders, in fact, while ryding solo, if I raise the windscreen & don't stop or go much slower than about 35-40mph I basically don't get wet at all. Yeah, the occasional drop or splatter from over the windscreen, my helmet & visor get a bit wet, and my fingers do too (thinking about fitting 'Bark Busters' for the winter) but the rest of my ryding gear stays mainly dry until the puddle that forms on the pillion seat starts over-flowing & running forwards! And that brings me to ryding with a pillion passenger - the Missus would get SOAKED from behind in even the lightest rain!! Helmet & visor from the front, but the turbulence at the rear of the Spyder would suck up all the spray & lift it over the panniers & top box so that it would then hit the back of her helmet & shoulders, water would run down her neck if she didn't wear a hood, and she'd get REALLY WET from spray due to turbulence lifting all the spray & hitting her from below & behind - the back of her lower legs & under her thighs, water running down her neck & back, & sitting in the ensuing puddle in the seat. She was not impressed...... and I felt every bit of her discomfort!!

I tried a few different mud flaps to fix this, without much change, then thought about sorting the turbulence back there rather than trying fruitlessly to stop the spray; so after trying a few different spoiler styles, I settled on fitting an expandable rack for the backrest/top box from Rivco, & fitted a 1/8th" thick flat sheet of marine ply onto the top of the rack, converting it into a mini 'whale tail spoiler' & as a result, I now have very successfully sorted the 'getting wet from behind while moving' problem!! Check the rack out here:

https://rivcoproducts.com/shop/can-a...ca040bk-black/

Sure, if we are driving slowly or in stop/go traffic in the city, then wet weather gear is essential; but now we've got the whale tail spoiler, if we are out touring or heading somewhere out of town &/or cruising somewhere & travelling at speeds of something between about 60 & 80 mph, we generally don't bother to stop for anything short of a cyclone type down pour these days - we get wetter stopping & putting on wet weather gear than we do from just raising the windscreen & keeping on ryding/cruising until we need to fuel up next or we get to wherever we're going!! The whale tail spoiler stops the bulk of the turbulence from behind, which means no spray to soak the pillion & the front & sides of y he RT stay a lot cleaner, cos we ryde in a bubble of mostly rain & spray free air unless we slow below about 40mph, and it's only my fingers & our helmets that ever get wet - & I wear gloves, plus we've got heated hand grips!

Works well, and I notice there is now a 'this is not a luggage rack' spoiler being sold for RT's that looks pretty much identical to the Rivco expandable rack, only solid plate instead of slotted rack, just like our home-made spoiler! Try it, you'll ryde a lot drier, and your pillion passenger, even more so!

can you take a pic of your bike, this sounds like an interesting solution.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have the same rack mod

Modified my rivco rack the same way. Works good.
    Photo1187.jpgPhoto1188.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Modified my rivco rack the same way. Works good.
    Photo1187.jpgPhoto1188.jpg
    Thanks fore the pics

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders