Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT Limited Fuse Block puzzling??

2018 Spyder RT LimitedRight Fuse Block Diagram.jpgRight Fuse Block.jpgLeft Fuse Block.jpgLeft Fuse Block Diagram.jpg

I am trying to familiarize myself with the 2 fuse blocks. Something weird caught my eyes right away. The numbering of the fuses, as F1, F2, ......F8 is reversed looking at the diagram compared to the fuse block. The diagram shows a normal numbering as having F1 starting on the left vs the fuse block having F1 starting on the right. Although the fuses position is correct. That is for the LEFT fuse block.
    Right fuse block is concerning. Again, the numbering is reversed as for the left side, but the diagram shows a 5A fuse on position 7 (position 2 on the block) where there is no fuse at position 7 (2). Position 8 (1) labeled as NOT USED and that is OK. There was no fuse in there.
    Back to position 7 (2) with no fuse, I decided to put a 10A fuse to see what is that suppose to cover. Got a light arc, which told me there is a load on that fuse. I knew I had the ignition OFF. Looked around and found my dashboard lit up as if the ignition was ON. Weird. I did not try to start the bike. I immediately removed the fuse. Checked the bike, started, all looks normal.
    On the diagram, position 7 is labeled as DC PLUGS VBAT. Position 6 is labeled as DC PLUGS VKEY. Again, there is no fuse at position 7.

Used a voltmeter at position 6 and position 7 and I get full voltage, with or without ignition. I am trying to find a fuse that energize with ignition ON and no voltage with ignition OFF.

Any help is appreciated

Spyder Garage

Why don't you try pg 143-144 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

well now.....SPUT !

you are sooo lucky that you can successfully goof around with your fuse block
    and still have your Spyder run.
    I ran my 2014 a long time and never had occasion to look at fuses.
    I fully expect my 2017 to work the same way.
    I would just rather ryde.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Why don't you try pg 143-144 of your operator's guide.
    Oh, I did.. It doesn't tell me anything. Page 143, Position 7 on the right fuse block shows a 5A fuse. There is NO fuse at position 7 on my fuse block. If I put a fuse at position 7, it lights up the dashboard. Any idea?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    Oh, I did.. It doesn't tell me anything. Page 143, Position 7 on the right fuse block shows a 5A fuse. There is NO fuse at position 7 on my fuse block. If I put a fuse at position 7, it lights up the dashboard. Any idea?
    On page 143, there’s a Note under the right fuse block diagram. The intent is that the fuse is installed in EITHER the F6 or F7 position, depending on if you want the power outlets live all the time, or if you want them switched with the key. You don’t put fuses in both spots at the same time. And yeah, there’s no clear warning not to do that....but that’s the intent. The machine comes from the factory with the fuse installed in F6. You can move it. The manual shows it in F7 for reference.

Otherwise, you ignore the fuse numbering that’s molded into the plastic fuse box itself, and go by the manual and label inside the cover for the correct numbering. My guess is that the numbers molded into the plastic are the pin numbers for the box connections, and make more sense when they are connecting up the harness to the rear of the box.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-28-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    On page 143, there’s a Note under the right fuse block diagram. The intent is that the fuse is installed in EITHER the F6 or F7 position, depending on if you want the power outlets live all the time, or if you want them switched with the key. You don’t put fuses in both spots at the same time. And yeah, there’s no clear warning not to do that....but that’s the intent. The machine comes from the factory with the fuse installed in F6. You can move it. The manual shows it in F7 for reference.

Otherwise, you ignore the fuse numbering that’s molded into the plastic fuse box itself, and go by the manual and label inside the cover for the correct numbering. My guess is that the numbers molded into the plastic are the pin numbers for the box connections, and make more sense when they are connecting up the harness to the rear of the box.
    Thanks for the info. It makes more sens now.

Spyder Garage

That's why I suggested you look at the respective pages so you would find the note about the keyed vs always hot option in fuses 6 and 7. The operator's guide is a good friend.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    well now.....SPUT !

you are sooo lucky that you can successfully goof around with your fuse block
    and still have your Spyder run.
    I ran my 2014 a long time and never had occasion to look at fuses.
    I fully expect my 2017 to work the same way.
    I would just rather ryde.
    Thanks for the compliment. My Spyder, I think I'm gone name her "Blondie", still run just fine and did what I attempted to do anyway.

Thank you to Snowbelt Spyder.
    Last edited by Bigmo; 05-28-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

V Bat = always hot
    V Key = keyed power key must be on
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Awesome and Timely Information! As always, SpyderLovers is the best place for hard to find information. (other than the owners manual - but we won't mention that!)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Awesome and Timely Information! As always, SpyderLovers is the best place for hard to find information. (other than the owners manual - but we won't mention that!)
    Reading is hard with them words and such....I don't do it unless I have to...I like pictures instead!