Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Questions (RT Riding Position, F3 Cruise Control)

Good Day folks,

New to the forum. I'm another 60-ish motorcyclist looking at the Spyder - in my case, because I think it'll be easier on my beat-up arthritic body than my Versys.

I'd been looking at the 2018 base model F3, which has everything I really want except cruise control (and a color other than black, sigh). At the price differential, I can live with a black paint job, and I gather that cruise control can be added for a few hundred bucks. But, my local dealer (Denver) may be able to make me an attractive offer on a 2017 RT demo with a few hundred miles on it. Only problem is, the seating position on the RT bends my messed-up knees more than will be comfortable for long - the F3 lets me stretch my legs out better.

So, my questions:

1 - The footboard - brake pedal arrangement on the RT doesn't look, to me, to be easily modifiable. I'm guessing one is pretty well stuck with the stock arrangement, correct?

2 - I see from other threads that putting cruise control on previous years' base F3 involves a ~$450 module and relatively little work. Any reason to think that would be different for a 2018?

3 - The F3 is pretty damned low to the ground. Does that make them more susceptible to damage from road debris? I'm not planning on offroading or gravel roads, but even the Interstates around here have a lot of scrap and crap on them from construction trucks, etc....

Many thanks!

rodentrancher
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Questions (RT Riding Position, F3 Cruise Control)

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Good Day folks,

New to the forum. I'm another 60-ish motorcyclist looking at the Spyder - in my case, because I think it'll be easier on my beat-up arthritic body than my Versys.

I'd been looking at the 2018 base model F3, which has everything I really want except cruise control (and a color other than black, sigh). At the price differential, I can live with a black paint job, and I gather that cruise control can be added for a few hundred bucks. But, my local dealer (Denver) may be able to make me an attractive offer on a 2017 RT demo with a few hundred miles on it. Only problem is, the seating position on the RT bends my messed-up knees more than will be comfortable for long - the F3 lets me stretch my legs out better.

So, my questions:

1 - The footboard - brake pedal arrangement on the RT doesn't look, to me, to be easily modifiable. I'm guessing one is pretty well stuck with the stock arrangement, correct there are after market floor boards available; Seal foorboards is first one to come to mind.

2 - I see from other threads that putting cruise control on previous years' base F3 involves a ~$450 module and relatively little work. Any reason to think that would be different for a 2018? No difference

3 - The F3 is pretty damned low to the ground. Does that make them more susceptible to damage from road debris? I'm not planning on offroading or gravel roads, but even the Interstates around here have a lot of scrap and crap on them from construction trucks, etc.... If you look at the specifications they are all about 4.5 inches of road clearance. That's why there are so many bump skids sold. Al in Kazoo

Many thanks!

rodentrancher
    ​Al in kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The F3's were designed from the outset to be more configurable for riders than the RT. Get the RT if storage or riding 2 up is paramount, otherwise get the bike that feels the best when you sit on it. The F3 seat is lower than the RT, so you will feel less lean going into curves. Ride both as much as you can before you decide.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

An actual test drive on both is recommended--if you have not done that already.

I also had the hots for the F3T in RED. I drooled for a year. The test sit killed it. I did not like the ergos. It reminded me of a HD triglide. Sorry.

I am now on my third RT. These are the ones that are configured best for ME. If they were to offer a LESS topcase version--I would like that a lot.

Meanwhile, if I want a "cruiser" experience, I just jump on my Vulcan 900.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Good Day folks,

So, my questions:

1 - The footboard - brake pedal arrangement on the RT doesn't look, to me, to be easily modifiable. I'm guessing one is pretty well stuck with the stock arrangement, correct?

2 - I see from other threads that putting cruise control on previous years' base F3 involves a ~$450 module and relatively little work. Any reason to think that would be different for a 2018?

3 - The F3 is pretty damned low to the ground. Does that make them more susceptible to damage from road debris? I'm not planning on offroading or gravel roads, but even the Interstates around here have a lot of scrap and crap on them from construction trucks, etc....

Many thanks!

rodentrancher
    My RT SE5 Seal floorboards will fit over the small factory floorboards. Contact me for more info.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You really need to take a test ride on both.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Highway pegs

I need to be able to move my right leg and straighten my knee on my RT so I bought Lamonster highway pegs. I also bought the large size foot peg and it turns out the standard size would have been fine.

Spyder Garage

Definitely test ride both. I thought I wanted a RT. I drove one and looked over at the F3s on the side area, asked to drive one of those. Fell in love with the feel. Put my reservation on the F3 on the spot (wanted to get my endorsement first lol).

So....it really does depend on you and your feel for the ride.

Have fun!!!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the advice and information. Have arranged for a test ride on the 2017 RT next week; will have to see if I can get a ride on an F3 as well.
    2017 RT-S , bronze