Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question RT Oil Drain Plug issue

I have a 2013 Spyder RT SE5 and trying to do an oil change. I am having issues breaking loose the drain plug under the Oil Tank.
    Seems my torx bit is not gripping and getting slightly chewed up. I suspect the dealer on the last oil change torqued it down tooooo much. Would it be ok to try an impact driver to break this loose or any other tips from other owners who may have run into this issue.

Spyder Garage

Grab and turn the head of the plug on the outside with vise grips while turning with the Torx wrench. Throw the plug away and order Gold Plugs. Do this for both plugs.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need Allen wrenches, not Torx wrenches.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

There are 2 reasons people have trouble with the OEM drain plugs.

1- They get them WAY TOO Tight! They only need to be snug. That's plenty. They get tighter with the heat/cold cycles.
    2- Using Torx on Allen head bolts and Allen wrench on Torx head bolts
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Metric. But get a set of metric hex bits for your ratchet. An Allen wrench hardly gives you enough leverage.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-25-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default GOLD PLUGS

www.goldplug.com

Gold Plug, LLCif you call, ask for TIM, and he will supply you with all you need: plugs, crush washers, O-rings, etc....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

If I remember right that is a 6mm Allen.BTW the hole is quite deep so be sure your
    Allen goes in all the way.Also do not bother with the Gold plugs they are waaaaaay to expensive.Go to Value Accessories(sponsor on the Home page) and order one of each plug they have,I think they are $6.00 each and work very well.And now you can use a socket wrench. Torque specs are pretty light so don't use your head bolt arm when doing them back up them down.Remember you are putting steel into an aluminum thread. Guess what is going to give 1st.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Here's how....

When ever doing the oil change with the oem plugs...First, as stated above, use the correct allen and use a socket allen you can attach a ratchet wrench to. Insert the socket allen in the plug and hit the socket a couple of times with a hammer. This will help break up the varnish acting like locktite. Then add the ratchet and give it a good swift jerk. Always worked for me on all vehicles...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good eyes, still sharp...... 😁

......didn't see it when reading it. Good for you

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRTOhio View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder RT SE5 and trying to do an oil change. I am having issues breaking loose the drain plug under the Oil Tank.
    Seems my torx bit is not gripping and getting slightly chewed up. I suspect the dealer on the last oil change torqued it down tooooo much. Would it be ok to try an impact driver to break this loose or any other tips from other owners who may have run into this issue.
    If you use the correct wrench in the respective drain plug, it will be TIGHT and won't strip out the plug's fitting. There have been other, detailed threads on this topic and you should spend some time reading them.

Keep your life simple; use the OEM plugs and the correct wrench for each. Unless you have really ruined them, you don't need to replace them with something else. In either case, you don't need to spend a lot of money on something like a Gold Plug.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=drain+plug (this one is for the 1330 engine, but has some good info on breaking loose stubborn plugs)
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-25-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There are TWO drain plugs for the engine oil. One is an allen (hex) fitting; the other is a Torx. You must NOT use the wrong one in each plug. You MUST use the correct size of each.

If you use the correct wrench in the respective drain plug, it will be TIGHT and won't strip out the plug's fitting. There have been other, detailed threads on this topic and you should spend some time reading them.

Keep your life simple; use the OEM plugs and the correct wrench for each. Unless you have really ruined them, you don't need to replace them with something else. In either case, you don't need to spend a lot of money on something like a Gold Plug.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=drain+plug
    The OP has an 2013 model. That means it is a 998 Cc engine. So both drain plugs should be hex. Not like the 1330 engine you referenced.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The OP has an 2013 model. That means it is a 998 Cc engine. So both drain plugs should be hex. Not like the 1330 engine you referenced.
    Oh, nuts. You're right. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If I had to spend $36 on a pair of drain plugs I would sure find a way to make the stock ones do. Since Value Accessories has plugs $6.95 each that have magnets and I do prefer bolt heads to Allen's,I'll go with them. I have had them on my Spyder for a couple of years of oil changes now and they have worked just fine.If you don't mind the Allen's and yours are find then stick with them. The biggest problem with them is if you are not used to tools or Allen heads you may not get your Allen seated deep enough to really get the plug to break loose.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKING IT / THEM LOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If I had to spend $36 on a pair of drain plugs I would sure find a way to make the stock ones do. Since Value Accessories has plugs $6.95 each that have magnets and I do prefer bolt heads to Allen's,I'll go with them. I have had them on my Spyder for a couple of years of oil changes now and they have worked just fine.If you don't mind the Allen's and yours are find then stick with them. The biggest problem with them is if you are not used to tools or Allen heads you may not get your Allen seated deep enough to really get the plug to break loose.
    Try this the next time you do an Oil change ..... put in your tool and give it two hard taps straight up .... this almost always BREAKS the varnish seal on the threads ...........works everytime I've done it ....it also ensures the tool is in as far as it can go ..... Mike PS - Value Accessories has only one PLUG for the 1330 , but both of the V-twin plugs ......... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-25-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

That happened to me when I did my oil change this spring on my 2015 RTL 1330. I tried the drill out bits but no luck also tried vise grips no luck. So I tried something different I put in a oversized drill bit into it to the point where it jammed it not to far in. Then I used my drill gun as a rachet going back and forth and pulling the trigger at the same time and it worked. I threw the dam thing out and replaced it with a set of gold plugs.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Get the Spyder up in the air also, I jack mine up and let it down on a 6x6 under each wheel. It's much easier to see what you're doing and dealing with under there.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default Magnetic side view mirror mounts

MAGNETIC SIDE VIEW MIRROR MOUNTS:

FYI - To work on anything with a Spyder, the first thing you need to remove are the mirrors. Mirror attachment is a poor design and will fail after removing several times. Spyder suggests - the purchase of Magnetic Magic Mirrors to solve the problem at $109.00+ for 6 magnetics (crazy). In doing some research we found the same material "much cheaper" and installed on my 2011 Spyder RTS-SE5 and only spent $51.00 (no shipping $). They fit RT 2010-2019. Here is the information if you need to fix your problem. Company: MAXPEEDINGRODS (website: http://www.maxpeedingrods.com/ ) (Product #3002072131) (Full Description: Magnetic Side View Mirror Mounts for the compatible for Can-Am Spyder RT 2010-2019, 2011, 2012, 13). THEY WORK GREAT. Please note: Existing screws holding plastic clips has a washer under the screw head that will not allow screw to fully recess - blocking the magnetic connections; therefore, washer either needs to be removed and screws replaced. Magnetics "must fully engage to the new metal plate to make the seal."

If you have any questions - reply accordingly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2022 at 07:48 PM. Reason: OP added Reply note - PA fixed product details

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hensmanj4220 View Post
    MAGNETIC SIDE VIEW MIRROR MOUNTS:

FYI - To work on anything with a Spyder, the first thing you need to remove are the mirrors. Mirror attachment is a poor design and will fail after removing several times. Spyder suggests - the purchase of Magnetic Magic Mirrors to solve the problem at $109.00+ for 6 magnetics (crazy). In doing some research we found the same material "much cheaper" and installed on my 2011 Spyder RTS-SE5 and only spent $51.00 (no shipping $). They fit RT 2010-2019. Here is the information if you need to fix your problem. Company: MAXPEEDINGRODS (website: http://www.maxpeedingrods.com/ ) (Product #3002072131) (Full Description: Magnetic Side View Mirror Mounts for the compatible for Can-Am Spyder RT 2010-2019, 2011, 2012, 13). THEY WORK GREAT. Please note: Existing screws holding plastic clips has a washer under the screw head that will not allow screw to fully recess - blocking the magnetic connections; therefore, washer either needs to be removed and screws replaced. Magnetics "must fully engage to the new metal plate to make the seal."

If you have any questions - reply accordingly.
    https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/index...oduct%2Fsearch
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2022 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRTOhio View Post
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...ic-drain-plug/ 1330cc
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...c-drain-plugs/ 998cc
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Bit of thread archeology going on there fellas.

Sure, that was some interesting info you've added, but I'd certainly hope the OP hasn't been hanging off & waiting to drain his oil for that info, since he & most others replying originally posted back around the end of May 2018! Still, I guess that if he was, that oil'd be well & truly cooled & settled by now, so he'd probably need to warm the engine/oil up again in order to get all the oil to run out once he pulled the plugs!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Bit of thread archeology going on there fellas.
    Sure, that was some interesting info you've added, but I'd certainly hope the OP hasn't been hanging off & waiting to drain his oil for that info, since he & most others replying originally posted back around the end of May 2018! Still, I guess that if he was, that oil'd be well & truly cooled & settled by now, so he'd probably need to warm the engine/oil up again in order to get all the oil to run out once he pulled the plugs!

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Hey, better late than never!! We have to keep the old post alive, for the fond memories!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hey, better late than never!! We have to keep the old post alive, for the fond memories!!
    But that's one of the wonderful things about Forums, as opposed to most other forms of 'social media' - at (great!) expense to the management, everything posted in any thread on a Forum is already retained & kept alive for posterity; and it's in a searchable database too!! So it's always there, just waiting for someone to look it up & benefit from the shared knowledge & experience of those who've gone before!

It's just that many don't seem to bother even trying to search for previously shared info before starting a new thread; or they just make a token attempt & then start a new thread anyway; and of those newer members who do happen to stumble across these archeological gems, many don't check the original posting date &/or the dates of the last posts in the thread, so they think they are answering a contemporary thread & often expect the OP to reply immediately.... only said OP may have already resolved that particular issue a looonnnng time ago; or maybe they've even retired from Spyder ryding & possibly more some years back!

But if you post anything onto a Forum, that means it's always there, quietly and hopefully waiting in the dark for another chance to be called up & put to use again Just don't expect an immediate response from the OP &/or any of the original posters!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Had to chuckle when I read this post. Just did a search after returning home from my dealer today for my first break-in service on my 21 RT LTD to see if anyone else had the same issue. My dealer couldn't even get the plug out! They didn't have a replacement plug in stock so they didn't want to drill it out. So they ordered a New plug and I'll have to make another trip for the oil change.