Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Tried FOBO...didn't like it

I bought a set of FOBO on Amazon for my 2018 F3L. I didn't like it for several reasons:

1. I knew fitment on fronts was problematic but I was ready to work with extensions and new valves at next tire change

2. Fitment on rear was ok.

3. For these things to be useful, you need a t-valve. Otherwise, you need to remove the unit when you need to inflate. That means having the little wrench with you all the time and fiddling with it until you eventually break the stem! Toying with the fronts wouldn't be too bad but the rear is royally annoying. I prefer to just take my pressure every few days. On my other bike, I had TPMS and was taking it every ride just the same.

4. I didn't like at all having to supply an email address to use the app

5. I didn't like having to read a 12-page privacy policy to install a gadget

6. I didn't like having to allow the app access to location services

This is just a little gadget, I don't get why it has to be so intrusive.

I am returning it to Amazon tomorrow.

Good idea, bad implementation.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Default I gather you were using it with the lock nut?

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I bought a set of FOBO on Amazon for my 2018 F3L. I didn't like it for several reasons:

3. For these things to be useful, you need a t-valve. Otherwise, you need to remove the unit when you need to inflate. That means having the little wrench with you all the time and fiddling with it until you eventually break the stem! Toying with the fronts wouldn't be too bad but the rear is royally annoying. I prefer to just take my pressure every few days. On my other bike, I had TPMS and was taking it every ride just the same.
    Based on the above, I assume you installed it with the lock nuts; did you consider doing without?

(I opted to go without, and so basically it's just a larger/more expensive valve cap to remove when adding air.)

Everyone's mileage varies.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Based on the above, I assume you installed it with the lock nuts; did you consider doing without?

(I opted to go without, and so basically it's just a larger/more expensive valve cap to remove when adding air.)
    No I did not but it is certainly a good idea to try it if I change my mind and keep it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post

Everyone's mileage varies.
    No problems without the locknuts, I like them but the locknuts are a pain.

T valve? That would seem to back life simpler?
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

#3 Not TRUE! You do not need to "lock" the FoBo. Believe me no one is going to steal it!
    #4 So you obviously do not use other smartphone apps, cause theist majority require an email address
    #5 Really, and who twisted your arm to read it?
    #6 Guess you don't use any AMP apps on your smartphone or Uber, or Lyft, or Yelp

Yes, return it.

AJ

4. I didn't like at all having to supply an email address to use the app

5. I didn't like having to read a 12-page privacy policy to install a gadget

6. I didn't like having to allow the app access to location services

This is just a little gadget, I don't get why it has to be so intrusive.

I am returning it to Amazon tomorrow.

Good idea, bad implementation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary comment

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Definitely leave off the locks, I originally used the locks on mine and quickly realized what a mistake that was. Eventually mine quit working and are now gathering dust in the garage.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Look on Amazon for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61lJZ50-QxL._SL1000_.jpg

I got it a few months ago. Right now its 50 bucks, uses same sensors as FOBO or anybody else for that matter. Pull the battery from one sensor before you install it, and it will show two front wheels and only one rear. Velcro the display to the top of the dash or somewhere else that you can see it. Sunlight keeps it charged for a very long time, like weeks or months. No cell phone app, no charging and it costs about what one sensor does with FOBO. And yes, dont bother with the locknuts, just treat them like big valve caps.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took mine off also: I just didn't like all that weight hanging off the tire valve stems...
    They'll probably go up for grabs in here during the "Pay it Forward" times. I'd rather see someone in here get some use out of them.
    But that's for another time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    Look on Amazon for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for the tip

Spyder Garage

I use the FOBO system. It has been reliable with only one hiccup in 2 years. I do not use the lock nuts. If you think about it for a minute, it's gonna be a "set it and forget it" thing once you get your air pressures where you want them. Unless you are messing with them for some reason which you don't need to be or you don't understand that you will see that pressures will fluctuate with outside air temps... I haven't physically touched mine in months! Now if you have problems with the sh1tty Kendas losing air that's another story. But with quality tires there's np. And that's the beauty of it, look at my phone the day after I ryde then the day before I ryde to make sure I didn't develop a slow leak in between and DONE!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default What can I say....

Cute gadget and for those that like that sort of thing proof to have. I don't see the need and with th issues they have it is easier to check them manually. Places I Ryde temps can change quite a bit and would probably get warnings all the time. Check mine a couple times a month and the change if any is negligible. .ok can see it for motor homes , truckers, trailers etc
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I also no longer use mine. Too many alarms. I bought them in a fit of paranoia because of my last motorcycle accident,but have decided that for the Spyder it is the answer to a question easily answered manually.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sorry JBIM, my fault. When I recommended FOBO, I assumed you had some experience with apps.

Having said that, it’s a little harsh to mark FOBO down using your given reasons. By way of explanation -

You do NOT need a t-valve to make FOBO useful. It is very useful without one. I and many others use FOBO without a t-valve.
    You do NOT need to use the locking wrench and fiddle with the stem. You can simply tighten the sensor by hand, fairly lightly. It will not come off.
    You have TPMS and still take pressures every ride? This is negating one of any automated tyre pressure system’s major features. If you can not allow yourself to trust TPMS or FOBO before you leave the shed, why would you trust them to tell you that a tyre is deflating? If you don’t trust them, manual checking only is probably the best option for you.

Regarding the FOBO app requested info, it is no different to most other apps -

FOBO want your email address so they can inform you of any updates or issues with the app.

There is no need to read the 12 page Privacy policy to install the app. It is always standard legal stuff, and if it wasn’t, it would have been flagged globally. You don’t read your safety card every time you start your Spyder, even though Can Am mandate it, do you?

You do not need to grant FOBO access to location services. It works just as well without it.

“Good idea, bad implementation?” I assume you mean “good idea, bad design” .......I certainly can’t agree with that assessment. Sure FOBO may have a couple of annoyances like the disabling/enabling processes, but it is well engineered.

Of course, we all have to make calls based on our own situations, and obviously FOBO has not worked for you, which is a pity, but I felt it was necessary to highlight the above in defence of the product.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Cute gadget and for those that like that sort of thing proof to have. I don't see the need and with th issues they have it is easier to check them manually. Places I Ryde temps can change quite a bit and would probably get warnings all the time. Check mine a couple times a month and the change if any is negligible. .ok can see it for motor homes , truckers, trailers etc
    Can’t agree, Gene.....it is most definitely NOT easier for me to check the pressures manually. You can set pressure warnings at any level, so a warning for an 18psi tyre can be set to 12psi, which is still rideable. Without this warning, the rear tyre could be virtually flat before you realised. This means you would only get genuine warnings.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I also no longer use mine. Too many alarms. I bought them in a fit of paranoia because of my last motorcycle accident,but have decided that for the Spyder it is the answer to a question easily answered manually.
    It’s good that that has worked for you Paul, but after a little trial and error, I have been able to set my alarms at a level where they only go off for a genuine issue.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have always used Doran Tire Monitoring System on the last number of bikes I have had. When I got mt Spyder I had taken it off my Gold Wing and ordered another sensor for the three wheels. It works great I have the monitor on the dash. You can push the button on the monitor any time and it will read the pressure in each tire.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sorry JBIM, my fault. When I recommended FOBO, I assumed you had some experience with apps.

Having said that, it’s a little harsh to mark FOBO down using your given reasons. By way of explanation -

You do NOT need a t-valve to make FOBO useful. It is very useful without one. I and many others use FOBO without a t-valve.
    You do NOT need to use the locking wrench and fiddle with the stem. You can simply tighten the sensor by hand, fairly lightly. It will not come off.
    You have TPMS and still take pressures every ride? This is negating one of any automated tyre pressure system’s major features. If you can not allow yourself to trust TPMS or FOBO before you leave the shed, why would you trust them to tell you that a tyre is deflating? If you don’t trust them, manual checking only is probably the best option for you.

Regarding the FOBO app requested info, it is no different to most other apps -

FOBO want your email address so they can inform you of any updates or issues with the app.

There is no need to read the 12 page Privacy policy to install the app. It is always standard legal stuff, and if it wasn’t, it would have been flagged globally. You don’t read your safety card every time you start your Spyder, even though Can Am mandate it, do you?

You do not need to grant FOBO access to location services. It works just as well without it.

“Good idea, bad implementation?” I assume you mean “good idea, bad design” .......I certainly can’t agree with that assessment. Sure FOBO may have a couple of annoyances like the disabling/enabling processes, but it is well engineered.

Of course, we all have to make calls based on our own situations, and obviously FOBO has not worked for you, which is a pity, but I felt it was necessary to highlight the above in defence of the product.

Pete
    TPMS and FOBO may not be the same kind of product. TPMS on my previous bike gave me a reading only once the bike started rolling. Basically it was an alert for a slow leak or upcoming flat tire. So in practice I still needed to check my pressure before leaving which is a good habit to have anyway.

My point has nothing to do with using the app. I have a lot of experience with apps, I am a web developer and that is why I know an email should not be required to use an app. There are many, many, many apps that do not require the creation of an account. And it should be required only when necessary. And by the way, you don't need to be notified by FOBO because the app store will tell you if an update to the app is available or you can set it to be done automatically by iOS. I see it just as an intrusion of privacy that is not necessary and I chose to reject the product because of it.

I understand why people don't read these policies but if there's nothing to it why does it have to be 12 pages. When you rely on others, you suffer others' consequences. I started to read the policy and decided I shouldn't have to read it to use the product.

I will take your word regarding location services but that is not how the setup works as it generates a loud beep, a large warning and activates location services automatically. There was no obvious option to disregard that. If they want to make you believe that is necessary, their bad. They just lost a client.

I meant bad implementation which includes the restrictions of my F3, short valve, rim clearance and the intrusion of privacy. I take it that the lock nuts are not required and it does make a huge difference in usability.

Spyder Garage

JBIM, You are 100% correct in that TPMS and FOBO are different. FOBO gives you your tyre readings as you approach the bike, unlike TPMS which I have used previously and did not like, as you needed to check pressures manually before riding off.

FOBO will indeed notify you through the App Store of any software updates, as will all of your apps. However FOBO can only notify you about firmware releases, hardware accessories, programming tips etc etc through email. That is why they want your email as part of installing the app, not to invade your privacy.

You don’t HAVE to read the 12 pages of policy to use the product, as you claim below. You can just click the accept box, like you do when starting your Spyder. As I said earlier, if there was anything suspicious about the FOBO policies, it would already be plastered all over the internet and FB.

Regardless, you are correct. If things like reading disclaimers, activating location services and giving your email to a company are of significant concern to you, you will definitely be best served by using a manual tyre pressure checking system on your Spyder and returning FOBO for a refund.

Pete

TPMS and FOBO may not be the same kind of product. TPMS on my previous bike gave me a reading only once the bike started rolling. Basically it was an alert for a slow leak or upcoming flat tire. So in practice I still needed to check my pressure before leaving which is a good habit to have anyway.

My point has nothing to do with using the app. I have a lot of experience with apps, I am a web developer and that is why I know an email should not be required to use an app. There are many, many, many apps that do not require the creation of an account. And it should be required only when necessary. And by the way, you don't need to be notified by FOBO because the app store will tell you if an update to the app is available or you can set it to be done automatically by iOS. I see it just as an intrusion of privacy that is not necessary and I chose to reject the product because of it.

I understand why people don't read these policies but if there's nothing to it why does it have to be 12 pages. When you rely on others, you suffer others' consequences. I started to read the policy and decided I shouldn't have to read it to use the product.

I will take your word regarding location services but that is not how the setup works as it generates a loud beep, a large warning and activates location services automatically. There was no obvious option to disregard that. If they want to make you believe that is necessary, their bad. They just lost a client.

I meant bad implementation which includes the restrictions of my F3, short valve, rim clearance and the intrusion of privacy. I take it that the lock nuts are not required and it does make a huge difference in usability.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes the FOBOs need new batteries about once a season, and Yes I am a Gadget freak

Weve had the FOBOs on both the RT and F3T for a couple of seasons now and since the time I had a puncture leaving Gallup heading east on I-40 and the alarm went off a couple miles down the road, I really RELY on them to keep my tire pressure balanced and monitored. I also went through adjusting the set points with the 6-10 psi ranges and am satisfied with their performance . As "chief" mechanic, I also like having both bikes on my phone, while the wife has hers to alarm her when needed, but as usual I get to adjust and maintain. Good to GO - Good to RYDE
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default t valves

Were can I find the T-valve so I can inflate my tire without taking the TPMS monitor off?
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Try AliExpress,I think that is where I got mine from.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default FOBO has a package with three t-valves

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    Were can I find the T-valve so I can inflate my tire without taking the TPMS monitor off?
    The Fobo Bike for Trike has a an option to buy the three=monitor set with three t-valves.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/TRIKE

It looks like the list price is $24 for the three valves, based on the difference in price between the monitor sets with and without. I assume that's a bit pricey, since, well, Spyder, but that would be one way to go if you don't have the FOBO monitors already.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default false alarms

I have a TPMS and I keep getting false alarm because I don't have the fourth sensor on the back. How can I get the false alarm stopped? I have removed the battery from the sensor and still get the alarms.

Spyder Garage

Hey Texas Al, if you have an RT, you could stick the 4th sensor on the Schraeder valve for the Air Bag, under the seat. I believe it has been tested & does (just) fit under there. Sure, if you do that it'll probably need a different upper & lower limit for the pressures, but hey, if it stops the alarms!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default False Alarms

No I have a F3. Guess I could put a T-Valve and put both sensors on the same tire, but it might be too much weight. Anybody have any ideas?