Spyder Garage

Default What's the Best no clunk oil?

I am using Rottella T6 now and I think its actually more clunky than with the original factory fill.Has anyone found a brand that is less clunky?If I shut it down and start it up like 10 minutes later it still clunks going into gear.Maybe someone has a favorite procedure for shutdown that makes it less likely to clunk upon startup?
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

The clunk occurs because of the design of the transmission. When you start the Spyder it's in neutral and the rest of the gears in the tranny are turning, therefore when you shift to first or reverse the tranny clunks; there's nothing you can do about it. FWIW, when I switched from XPS to Mobil 1 and then to Amsoil I noticed no change in the clunking but shifting through the gears became smoother with the full synthetic oil. Ride more, worry less.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That's exactly it!!

And in fact, if that clunk you get when initially shifting into first or reverse goes away, it can sometimes mean that you've got something wrong with your clutch/transmission!! Usually it's an 'expensive to fix' &/or a 'Do not proceed' type of something wrong!

So as the man said, Ride More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I too cringe at the first clunk of the ride after starting my RT. While it is the "nature of the beast" I occasionally can avoid the WHAM by hitting the shift paddle within the first 1/2 second of the motor firing off...I don't know what isnt up to speed yet, but just a tweak to try. Remember the right foot is on the brake.

Sometimes it works sometimes not, like Jay & Pete says Ryde More, .........
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

You could probably get the clunk to go away with 90-140 gear lube. But then nothing else in the transmission would work so it would be self defeating. The clunk is engineered into the shifting mechanism. Not that they want the clunk. But to get everything else they want out of the transmission, the clunk just comes with the package. Everything in life is a trade-off. The goal is to get as much of what you want with a minimum of what you don't want. This is the challenge of life!

Getting an oil that will give you smoother shifting and less wear for a longer service interval is probably a more obtainable goal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The clunk occurs because of the design of the transmission. When you start the Spyder it's in neutral and the rest of the gears in the tranny are turning, therefore when you shift to first or reverse the tranny clunks; there's nothing you can do about it. FWIW, when I switched from XPS to Mobil 1 and then to Amsoil I noticed no change in the clunking but shifting through the gears became smoother with the full synthetic oil. Ride more, worry less.
    I’m glad you said this. I had synthetic in mine but when they did the oil change this year the put in the BRP recommended stuff. I think it clunks more between gears than it used to.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Clunk happens..."
    Accept it, and move on...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

I have found that if you rev the engine up before shifting and release the rpm's will drop below idle before normalizing to the set idle. If you shift at the lowest point the clunk will be much less. Depending on where you ryde and the weather you could go for a heavier oil but it will basically only help till the oil get hot. Not much else you can do. The manuals like mine you can start in gear and avoid the clunk ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

To lessen the clunk, watch your tach until the rpms dip down around 1300,1400. You will get much less clunk. Of you are shifting right after you start you are at 1700,1800 rpms and bet a much louder clunk.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You could probably get the clunk to go away with 90-140 gear lube. But then nothing else in the transmission would work so it would be self defeating. The clunk is engineered into the shifting mechanism. Not that they want the clunk. But to get everything else they want out of the transmission, the clunk just comes with the package. Everything in life is a trade-off. The goal is to get as much of what you want with a minimum of what you don't want. This is the challenge of life!

Getting an oil that will give you smoother shifting and less wear for a longer service interval is probably a more obtainable goal.
    ………...Finely ground " SAWDUST " also should stop the clunk ………… however the CLUNK is supposed to there, the transmission design is why it clunks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ………...Finely ground " SAWDUST " also should stop the clunk ………… however the CLUNK is supposed to there, the transmission design is why it clunks …. Mike
    Very true! When the clunk goes away... THEN you should WORRY!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    To lessen the clunk, watch your tach until the rpms dip down around 1300,1400. You will get much less clunk. Of you are shifting right after you start you are at 1700,1800 rpms and bet a much louder clunk.
    ….. As the engine/transmission oil heats up, there is definitely less of a clunk...… But since the CLUNK is only a sound ( not damaging anything ) ….. Waiting till the Idle speed comes down will make the clunk less of an issue ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

On our 14 RTS, fresh oil and the clunk is pretty soft. Even with the oil approaching the 5000 mile change interval I use, most times the clunk is not harsh. The oil I use is a 10w40, which when cold, is more viscous than a 5w40, so that likely helps too.

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks I will try to shift at a lower rpm and see if that helps.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try a table spoon of caster oil. My grandmother said caster oil cures just about anything. Let us know if it works and if it does we'll all try it. LOL