Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with DESS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Has anyone switch out their own DESS Module on a 2015 RT?
    I didn't have to SWITCH mine out .... But after it was re-placed ( under warranty ) I moved the module to under the right headlight ...BRP supplies enough extra wire in the harness for both plugs to reach without any splicing etc. ... Just planning for the future if it fails again .... I could now change it in 5 minutes if I had to ....... When it was fixed they didn't do anything to my keys or use BUDS ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I didn't have to SWITCH mine out .... But after it was re-placed ( under warranty ) I moved the module to under the right headlight ...BRP supplies enough extra wire in the harness for both plugs to reach without any splicing etc. ... Just planning for the future if it fails again .... I could now change it in 5 minutes if I had to ....... When it was fixed they didn't do anything to my keys or use BUDS ...... Mike
    I may move mind when I switch it out. I still am going to try to fine someone to disable it sometime. Being it is a 2015 it may never be any problem.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Thanks for reading the D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread that I posted 3 years ago. I know I have helped a lot of people on this site with that thread. Deanna
    With all the problems you have had with DESS Key why did you not have your's disabled?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them.

You don't need BUDS to change out the module. Once you get the fronk off its right behind it. The only issue I had was removing the metal ring that was around the wire as it does not come with the new module.
    All you have to do then is get the pin out of the connector in stall the metal ring and then start reinstalling everything. They may have the ring on them now??

THe frunk is not to bad to get off and can be done with one person.

Spyder Garage

Default DESS issue

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You don't need BUDS to change out the module. Once you get the fronk off its right behind it. The only issue I had was removing the metal ring that was around the wire as it does not come with the new module.
    All you have to do then is get the pin out of the connector in stall the metal ring and then start reinstalling everything. They may have the ring on them now??

THe frunk is not to bad to get off and can be done with one person.
    I'm very familiar with this issue - So what metal ring are you talking about ...... That wasn't something I have encountered ????? .................. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm very familiar with this issue - So what metal ring are you talking about ...... That wasn't something I have encountered ????? .................. Mike

I took this pictures off ebay just to show the metal ring around the wires. (please forgive me I copied and pasted the pic) I believe it used to reduce noise on the line.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was just curious just where you did move it? Is it just below the right head light and did you drill holes to remount it?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default RING ON DESS MODULE

I took this pictures off ebay just to show the metal ring around the wires. (please forgive me I copied and pasted the pic) I believe it used to reduce noise on the line.

. .Interesting - I just looked at mine .... the Module looks the same and so do the Plugs ..... However mine doesn't and didn't have that ring when I moved mine to under the right headlight !!!!!! ......... Mine is a 14 RT , do you know what year the module in the pic is ?????? ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DESS MOVED TO -

I was just curious just where you did move it? Is it just below the right head light and did you drill holes to remount it?
    There is a clear, flat area under the plastic of the right headlite ........ and did drill two small holes in the lip so I could use the OEM mounting holes on the module ... It all looks factory now ..... I or the Dealer ( ) only have to un-bolt the module from the lip .... the only plastic that has to be re-moved is the blk triangle on the right side this just pops out - no tools ) ..... 5 min job & if the dealer does it , He will be very HAPPY , because He is going to charge BRP the shop book price for the job = 2hrs labor charge ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. .Interesting - I just looked at mine .... the Module looks the same and so do the Plugs ..... However mine doesn't and didn't have that ring when I moved mine to under the right headlight !!!!!! ......... Mine is a 14 RT , do you know what year the module in the pic is ?????? ............ Mike

Says its for a 2014 RT and I have a 2014 RT and had the ring. I see new ones with the ring already installed now.

Did your old Module have the ring on it?? Because my new module did not and I moved the ring to the new module.

Spyder Garage

Default OLD VS. NEW MODULE

Says its for a 2014 RT and I have a 2014 RT and had the ring. I see new ones with the ring already installed now.

Did your old Module have the ring on it?? Because my new module did not and I moved the ring to the new module.
    Thanks ....... unfortunately I didn't notice it when the Tech was replacing the module that had failed ...However when I moved it I had to take all the wiring that is connected to the harness and stretch it to fit the new location ....there was NO RING ...... hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    The earliest the dealer can get my bike in is June 22nd. Fingers crossed and they better be able to pull the code to get the process started.
    Good luck!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

With all the problems you have had with DESS Key why did you not have your's disabled?
    At the time when I had the D.E.S.S. modules/switch replaced on my spyder, these were covered under warranty. There wasn't anyone in my area that could disable the D.E.S.S.

I am still in the work force full time, so I did not have the time. I did not want D.E.S.S enabled.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    At the time when I had the D.E.S.S. modules/switch replaced on my spyder, these were covered under warranty. There wasn't anyone in my area that could disable the D.E.S.S.

I am still in the work force full time, so I did not have the time. I did not want D.E.S.S enabled.

Deanna
    Thanks for the reply. Mind is a 2015 and have had the DESS Key very few times like 4 in 10 months and that was twice together two times. Both of these times I had just washed the Spyder and I may have got some water in the switch but I did not think I did. All I had to do was remove the key and replace it and it started right off both times. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and have never had it since. The last two weeks I have tried everything to see if I could get it to act up. I have ordered a new DESS Module and will replace the old one and I think I will move the location like BLUEKNIGHT911 did. I will keep the one I take out and carry it and I would be able to change it on the road if I had to. I can understand you not wanting DESS enabled I would rather not but if someone comes a long that can do it I would. I feel being a 2015 and replacing the Module I may not have anymore problems. I read most all your thread that you started. If I was a little younger and had real good health and knew I could keep riding I would purchase BUDS just for my own use plus people in my area. I do all my own service and do not like anyone working on my bike.

Jerry
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. Mind is a 2015 and have had the DESS Key very few times like 4 in 10 months and that was twice together two times. Both of these times I had just washed the Spyder and I may have got some water in the switch but I did not think I did. All I had to do was remove the key and replace it and it started right off both times. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and have never had it since. The last two weeks I have tried everything to see if I could get it to act up. I have ordered a new DESS Module and will replace the old one and I think I will move the location like BLUEKNIGHT911 did. I will keep the one I take out and carry it and I would be able to change it on the road if I had to. I can understand you not wanting DESS enabled I would rather not but if someone comes a long that can do it I would. I feel being a 2015 and replacing the Module I may not have anymore problems. I read most all your thread that you started. If I was a little younger and had real good health and knew I could keep riding I would purchase BUDS just for my own use plus people in my area. I do all my own service and do not like anyone working on my bike.

Jerry
    Jerry, When I had the D.E.S.S. modules and switch changed they were under warranty. I have a 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I live in Texas. Can anyone tell me if they’re is someone who can disable my dess. Willing to travel. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    jcthorne's Avatar Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spyder Garage
    Its not fixed. Have seen it on a 2018 (which we turned off). The 2014s were widespread, later bikes not so much but it still happens.

Have never seen this on a single 2013 or earlier.

Spyder Garage

thornolis.com

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I was working on a customers bike so not on the forum this morning.

Yes, I can handle turning off your DESS if you would like to drive down to Houston.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

To replace the DESS module it is not necessary to remove the front trunk.

Remove the battery cover, two screws.
    Remove the battery clamp and the battery.
    Access the module on the chassis rail above the battery compartment and remove the two screws using a spanner (wrench).
    Disconnect the DESS cable connectors from the wiring harness.
    If your DESS is faulty, clip through the cable to release it from the cable tie which fastens the excess cable to the chassis.

If you wish to save your module because it is still good you need to clip through the cable support tie which holds the cable to the chassis rail - this is tricky because access is limited. Alternatively, as I did, just cut clean through the cable and rejoin the cable once it's out of the vehicle.

Connect your replacement DESS module connectors to the wiring harness and move the module to the side.
    Replace the battery and its clamp.
    Cable tie the DESS module to the top of the battery clamp to allow easy access in the future.
    Replace the battery cover.
    Go riding!

Spyder Garage

I have no dealer that even knows what I am talking about. Read my earlier post. I have no warranty that is why I would like to purchase the DESS Module and change it myself. BLUEKNIGHT911 says I don't need BUDS unless it is in failed mode. I found where I can purchase the DESS Module and changing it would be no problem if I don't need BUDS.
    Good luck!
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    To replace the DESS module it is not necessary to remove the front trunk.

Remove the battery cover, two screws.
    Remove the battery clamp and the battery.
    Access the module on the chassis rail above the battery compartment and remove the two screws using a spanner (wrench).
    Disconnect the DESS cable connectors from the wiring harness.
    If your DESS is faulty, clip through the cable to release it from the cable tie which fastens the excess cable to the chassis.

If you wish to save your module because it is still good you need to clip through the cable support tie which holds the cable to the chassis rail - this is tricky because access is limited. Alternatively, as I did, just cut clean through the cable and rejoin the cable once it's out of the vehicle.

Connect your replacement DESS module connectors to the wiring harness and move the module to the side.
    Replace the battery and its clamp.
    Cable tie the DESS module to the top of the battery clamp to allow easy access in the future.
    Replace the battery cover.
    Go riding!
    This is very interesting … we both have RT's and I have re-moved and moved my DESS module to another location …...( see pics in my new Album " Dess Module " ) I re-moved my Frunk to do this... because imho it can't be accessed any other way …. I'll let the viewer decide if it can be done using your method …. in Pic #2, when the Frunk is in place you can't see the module, or the bolts that hold it to the frame, or the wires, or how they are attached to the frame.... I apologize for not being able to post the pics on this post …… Mike

Spyder Garage

No you can't directly see in there but you can crane your neck or use a mirror to have a peek then work by feel. It's just two M6 screws attaching the unit to the frame. If your DESS is bad, and it likely is or you wouldn't be in there, there is no loss in clipping the cable to remove it from the cable tie.

Spyder Garage

I had my second DESS error last week. My spyder is still under warranty so I will have it replaced under warranty to avoid making a special trip to Houston or Arkansas to disable it. I did have a conversation with my service guy asking if they have a megetech license to turn it off. He is checking on it but they have the new module on order and will replace it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Guessing Gerald 37 is out riding on his Spyder after he installed the replacement DESS module...

He never came back and posted how it worked out, or if it solved his issues.