Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with DESS

Spyder Garage

Default My turn with DESS. 2015 RT-L 15k miles

Well I'd seen these threads pop up but not taken much interest until I got an orange DESS screen twice this morning when I was going to get gas. Freaked out a bit because i wasn't sure if I should leave my driveway or not. Have read most of the other threads so I tried with both keys and got the error with both. After powering down for 5 mins it started fine. Shut it off and re started 3 more times before I felt safe enough to leave. Shut down and started fine after I got gas too. One thing I did notice when I got the error is 1st gear was showing on the panel not N when I turned the key. Powering up at the gas station I saw the same thing but then it switched to N on the screen. Maybe this is all normal as I am still noticing some things for the first time as a new owner.

Am I on borrowed time or just a fluke? I would do the DESS removal if I end up somewhere where someone can do it.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-28-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Well I'd seen these threads pop up but not taken much interest until I got an orange DESS screen twice this morning when I was going to get gas. Freaked out a bit because i wasn't sure if I should leave my driveway or not. Have read most of the other threads so I tried with both keys and got the error with both. After powering down for 5 mins it started fine. Shut it off and re started 3 more times before I felt safe enough to leave. Shut down and started fine after I got gas too. One thing I did notice when I got the error is 1st gear was showing on the panel not N when I turned the key. Powering up at the gas station I saw the same thing but then it switched to N on the screen. Maybe this is all normal as I am still noticing some things for the first time as a new owner.

Am I on borrowed time or just a fluke? I would do the DESS removal if I end up somewhere where someone can do it.
    You are on borrowed time ...... once the Dess module shows signs of failure ( the orange screen of Death ) ..... It will eventually STOP working completely..... when is any one's guess , but I can assure it's not likely to occur while you are at a dealer ..... Yours is under warranty so INSIST your dealer fix it .... and although some people on this forum say you MUST bring a picture of the DESS orange screen with you .... that's total Hooey - it's logged into your computer and will be found by B.U.D.S. ..... If they claim it isn't there they are # 1. incompetent or #2. LIEING .......... This is no BS ......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You are on borrowed time ...... once the Dess module shows signs of failure ( the orange screen of Death ) ..... It will eventually STOP working completely..... when is any one's guess , but I can assure it's not likely to occur while you are at a dealer ..... Yours is under warranty so INSIST your dealer fix it .... and although some people on this forum say you MUST bring a picture of the DESS orange screen with you .... that's total Hooey - it's logged into your computer and will be found by B.U.D.S. ..... If they claim it isn't there they are # 1. incompetent or #2. LIEING .......... This is no BS ......good luck .... Mike
    Oh joy, thanks Mike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh joy, thanks Mike.
    I have had my 2015 Spyder since July of last Year. Have put little over 10,000 miles on it. I remember last year right after I got it I had the DESS Key orange screen twice. I had never had it again until one week ago and I had it two or three times. I feel the reason I have had it is because it has been every time right after I had washed it. I may have got water in the switch. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and on the key and have never had it again. I only have one key for mind. I have tried everyway to get it to do it again. I have removed the key a lot of times and leave it in it. I am trying fine some one to disable the DRSS Key but no one in my area will do it. I am seriously thinking about purchasing BUDS just to have it. I do all my own service and have no way to show any service has ever been done.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default DESS MODULE

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have had my 2015 Spyder since July of last Year. Have put little over 10,000 miles on it. I remember last year right after I got it I had the DESS Key orange screen twice. I had never had it again until one week ago and I had it two or three times. I feel the reason I have had it is because it has been every time right after I had washed it. I may have got water in the switch. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and on the key and have never had it again. I only have one key for mind. I have tried everyway to get it to do it again. I have removed the key a lot of times and leave it in it. I am trying fine some one to disable the DRSS Key but no one in my area will do it. I am seriously thinking about purchasing BUDS just to have it. I do all my own service and have no way to show any service has ever been done.
    This is a FACT - the module won't - can't FIX itself - It's not re-pairable either - It will eventually STOP working - period ..... having it re-moved from the system is BEST , but if you can't get that .....MAKE the dealer replace it .... The file can be accessed via BUDS .... any & every thing that logs into the computers ...STAYS THERE ... It can't be re-moved ....The Delete key only hides it from NORMAL viewing - but it IS there ....... I know people who do Computer Forensics ..... and they say it's THERE forever ....This is why H. C. destroyed Hers ....because the info is there ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a FACT - the module won't - can't FIX itself - It's not re-parable either - It will eventually STOP working - period ..... having it re-moved from the system is BEST , but if you can't get that .....MAKE the dealer replace it .... The file can be accessed via BUDS .... any & every thing that logs into the computers ...STAYS THERE ... It can't be re-moved ....The Delete key only hides it from NORMAL viewing - but it IS there ....... I know people who do Computer Forensics ..... and they say it's THERE forever ....This is why H. C. destroyed Hers ....because the info is there ..... Mike
    When the Can AM dealer's around my area don't even know what the Dess Key is and don't even seem to want to do anything I don't know what I can do. I would have the unit changed tomorrow if I could. I see I can order the part for $130.00 but I would need BUDS to change it. You are just fortunate to have good dealers. Any Can Am dealer around here do not stock hardly any Spyder parts. If I take my Spyder in they would have to check everything out then order the part and it would be in their shop for at least a month. You have to have at least two weeks notice for an oil change and then leave your Spyder with them and it would be a week.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default DESS & STEALERS

When the Can AM dealer's around my area don't even know what the Dess Key is and don't even seem to want to do anything I don't know what I can do. I would have the unit changed tomorrow if I could. I see I can order the part for $130.00 but I would need BUDS to change it. You are just fortunate to have good dealers. Any Can Am dealer around here do not stock hardly any Spyder parts. If I take my Spyder in they would have to check everything out then order the part and it would be in their shop for at least a month. You have to have at least two weeks notice for an oil change and then leave your Spyder with them and it would be a week.
    no - no - % no ..... I'll try to answer in the order from above ........ E-mail BRP Cares and start a CASE ....... If you can get your Frunk off ....it's a 5 min. job to change the DESS Module ..... Un-plug two connectors ( on the module ) and un-bolt it ..... I moved mine from the OEM location to just under the right headlamp ( the wires will reach that area .... The Module is just above the Battery on the left ( as you face it ) ..... You Don't need BUDS ( except maybe if it's in FAIL mode )....I don't have good dealers - I do all my own work ....... This is a fact of life today .... NO Dealers of anything Automotive stocks parts anymore - period - think can't afford to do it ...... If a dealer has or orders a part They Must pay for it - immed.- .....If you can't get the part under warranty or as a Curtesy from BRP , then buy it and do it your-self .....good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no - no - % no ..... I'll try to answer in the order from above ........ E-mail BRP Cares and start a CASE ....... If you can get your Frunk off ....it's a 5 min. job to change the DESS Module ..... Un-plug two connectors ( on the module ) and un-bolt it ..... I moved mine from the OEM location to just under the right headlamp ( the wires will reach that area .... The Module is just above the Battery on the left ( as you face it ) ..... You Don't need BUDS ( except maybe if it's in FAIL mode )....I don't have good dealers - I do all my own work ....... This is a fact of life today .... NO Dealers of anything Automotive stocks parts anymore - period - think can't afford to do it ...... If a dealer has or orders a part They Must pay for it - immed.- .....If you can't get the part under warranty or as a Curtesy from BRP , then buy it and do it your-self .....good luck .... Mike
    I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I have a 2014RTS-SE6 I have had the "D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( and the switch replaced once). The first time the D.E.S.S. module was replaced on July 14th, 2015 it was under warranty.

The 2nd time the D.E.S.S. module/ and the switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015 it was also under warranty. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. error. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP.

I started a thread " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent, and helpful info. Deanna
    After reading those threads I almost feel like I know you Deanna. Thanks for paving the way.

Spyder Garage

Default Pardon my Ignorance

What is DESS? I got it for the first time on a ride the other day on start after stopping for a rest. Turned the key of and on again and I was on the go again.

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
    Tim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysonwheels View Post
    What is DESS? I got it for the first time on a ride the other day on start after stopping for a rest. Turned the key of and on again and I was on the go again.

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
    Tim
    Digitally Encoded Security System. Mac

Spyder Garage

What does it do besides being a PITA?

Spyder Garage

After reading those threads I almost feel like I know you Deanna. Thanks for paving the way.
    Thanks for reading the D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread that I posted 3 years ago. I know I have helped a lot of people on this site with that thread. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
    Tim
    Tim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

Replace the D.E.S.S. Module. Program the keys using the B.U.D.S.

If after the replacement of the D.E.S.S. Module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWeb case or open a BOSS Web Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation:

When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

I posted a thread" D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent info. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 I have had the "D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( and the switch replaced once). The first time the D.E.S.S. module was replaced on July 14th, 2015 it was under warranty.

The 2nd time the D.E.S.S. module/ and the switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015 it was also under warranty. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. error. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP.

I started a thread " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent, and helpful info. Deanna
    I was told the 2014's were the ones that had the problem with the DESS Module and switch. The 15's had the new module's and it took care of the problem. Several of them had to have both the module and switch replaced. The old part number that was in the 2014 was #710004241 now the number is #710004916. Mind is a 2015 and I have had the DESS Key orange screen about four time in the last 10 months. I was not to worry until BLUEKNIGHT911 in formed me that it will fail and he does seem to know what he is talking about. I am not to concerned that it will right today but he is probably right.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

D.E.S.S. stands for : Digitally Encoded System. It is a theft deterrent system.

Hope this helps.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Deanna777;1364610]Tim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

If after the replacement of the D.E.S.S. Module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWeb case or open a BOSS Web Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation:

When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

I posted a thread" D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent info. Deanna

/QUOTE]
    You are telling me if I replace the DESS Module I will need BUDS to reprogram the keys even if my present module is working at the time.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=gerald37;1364621]
    Tim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

Technical Explanation:

/QUOTE]
    You are telling me if I replace the DESS Module I will need BUDS to reprogram the keys even if my present module is working at the time.
    Yes, when I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced in my 2014RTS-SE6 ,my can am dealership reprogramed the keys using the BUDS.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the 2014's,and some other spyder models did have the DESS Module and switch replaced.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and I have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( fist time was in July 14, 2015 and the 2nd time was on Aug. 28th, also I had the Switch replaced).

The old D.E.S.S module part number at the time was 710004190, and the old "Switch " part # was 710004413. The newest D.E.S.S module part # is 710004916. Yes, it will fail, get the D.E.S.S. and the Switch replaced. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP, and be sure that your dealership has the parts, before you get your get your spyder fixed.

I started a D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago.

Good luck!

Deanna
    I have no dealer that even knows what I am talking about. Read my earlier post. I have no warranty that is why I would like to purchase the DESS Module and change it myself. BLUEKNIGHT911 says I don't need BUDS unless it is in failed mode. I found where I can purchase the DESS Module and changing it would be no problem if I don't need BUDS.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default DESS MODULE

I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them.
    On mine the BRP tech's said the MODULE alone will fix it .... IT DID ....forget BUDS ..... Cheap Cycle is better than BRP , but they aren't the cheapest ....and all these sellers are using OEM BRP parts not nock-offs .....I think you have it well in hand

Spyder Garage

More PITA when you cannot start your bike when you are 2500 miles from home....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Swap the module to the current part number and be done, hopefully.

The DESS module is dumb, simply does tasks other electronics tell it to do. When it gets lazy, those tasks are not done.

Like a lawn service or cleaning lady, you ask them to accomplish a task, if they are up to it, the task is completed.

You as the owner are like the computer. As the homeowner you hire and assign tasks, same as the computer, it assigns tasks.

If the coil around the key is failing, which is unlikely, it’s like the lawn mower that doesnt start for the lawn service or cleaning lady leaky bucket. A less likely problem, and the task is not accomplished due to laziness.

Swap the module, it simply energizes the key and reads the code. The code is sent to the computer that decides if it will start or not.

Or you can read 10,000 posts in that topic, or even more. If the dealer is clueless about DESS, you will have a short stressful riding season.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Swap the module to the current part number and be done, hopefully.

The DESS module is dumb, simply does tasks other electronics tell it to do. When it gets lazy, those tasks are not done.

Like a lawn service or cleaning lady, you ask them to accomplish a task, if they are up to it, the task is completed.

You as the owner are like the computer. As the homeowner you hire and assign tasks, same as the computer, it assigns tasks.

If the coil around the key is failing, which is unlikely, it’s like the lawn mower that doesnt start for the lawn service or cleaning lady leaky bucket. A less likely problem, and the task is not accomplished due to laziness.

Swap the module, it simply energizes the key and reads the code. The code is sent to the computer that decides if it will start or not.

Or you can read 10,000 posts in that topic, or even more. If the dealer is clueless about DESS, you will have a short stressful riding season.
    I placed an order today for a DESS Module #710004916 with Cheap Motorcycle Parts. I am to have it next week sometime. I will switch it out myself. I have a 2015 Spyder RT and have had it little over 10 months and have put over 10,000 miles on it. It now has 20,700 miles on it. I have had DESS Key orange screen about 4 times, once last September and about two weeks ago and all I have ever had to do is remove the key and put it back. I was not much worried about it until BLUEKNIGHT911 tells me I am going to be stranded. I sure hope this is all I need. I only have one key so as soon as I get the module changed I have a blank key and will have it cut and someone program it for me.
    Last edited by gerald37; 05-29-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Order DESS Module
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone switch out their own DESS Module on a 2015 RT?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

The earliest the dealer can get my bike in is June 22nd. Fingers crossed and they better be able to pull the code to get the process started.