Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap so difficult to close and lock

again another key/closing/locking problem
    brand new F3T
    my first gasoline full up--key opened up the locked cap nicely--but when i went to close and lock--it took an ungodly amount of downward force on the cap to allow the key to fully get into locked turn position so as to remove key--the gas station attendant had to put all his weight downward on the cap while i separately turned the key--again help, what did i do wrong? how can this be remedied?
    needs grease somewhere , or just stronger me?

Spyder Garage

Get a Lamonster gas cap, problem solved.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    brand new F3T
    my first gasoline full up--key opened up the locked cap nicely--but when i went to close and lock--it took an ungodly amount of downward force on the cap to allow the key to fully get into locked turn position so as to remove key--the gas station attendant had to put all his weight downward on the cap while i separately turned the key--again help, what did i do wrong? how can this be remedied?

Simple as fix spray WD40 or silicone spray on the rubber gasket, now when closing it make sure the key at 3 o'clock then a simple push with the thumb and the key will give a click as it turns to the left by itself, l have only 1 thumb and have never had a problem once l used that method and l have had my F3 since 2015 and now with over 63,000 kl on it, so have had that cap open and closed heaps putting fuel in it like 2 fuel ups yesterday LOL.

Spyder Garage

Default Common problem....

This happens with most caps of this type. There are several threads on the subject.. The trick is to leave the key alone close the cap and apply pressure to the sides of the cap till the key snaps back on its own. Many have added a bit of grease to the gasket area to help...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I had same issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    This happens with most caps of this type. There are several threads on the subject.. The trick is to leave the key alone close the cap and apply pressure to the sides of the cap till the key snaps back on its own. Many have added a bit of grease to the gasket area to help...
    I have same byke. I thought I was going to bust the key off in the lock. I put some white lithium grease around seal and kept opening and closing. Like the previous response, push it down evenly and it kind of locks itself! You aren’t the first or last to have this issue!!

Spyder Garage

Mine seemed not to be the gasket but the tongue that slides into the opening. I lube that and all is well!

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Seems like there's a few places on the F3 that could use a little grease to help close up. I see you top case!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

It definitely requires some hand strength to get it to lock. I have a friend whos wife can not lock it without her husband to do it for her.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    brand new F3T
    I had the same issue with my new f3s 2015 ..... last year when I bought it... its a little easier now but not much... I have to stand on the foot pegs and use force from my arms down onto both thumbs on the sides of cover to close it. I was concerned about not getting it closed ever time I went to fill it, but my husband is usually with me and is able to assist on the few occasion I haven't been able to. Interesting - I took a 2017 F3s out from the shop this year while mine was in. No issues with that gas cap at all. So easy to close, I couldn't believe the difference. I think it is hit and miss, personally I think the difficult ones to close should be replaced at no cost by the dealers. I really like the shop I bought it from, so I will again bring it up to them when I get my next service and see if I can get it replaced. I did ask them last year if I should put some grease on it - they said no, they didn't recommend doing anything like that. They said to see if it worked in a bit, it has a bit but not much
    Last edited by LA2015FS; 05-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

With the cap open spray silicone on the pin that goes in and out as you turn the key. Spray it and turn the key several times and problem solved. You need to keep the gasket clean and you shouldn’t have any issues.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Silicone worked ok but now i use wd40 which makes it close very easily. Spray the key part and the locking mechanism underneath as well as the gasket, wipe off excess and you should be good to go. Smooth as butter now.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lets start a "Lube War"......lol

WD-40 is not a lubricant.
    I use white lithium grease, turn my key to 3 o'clock and this works like a charm.
    I "lube up" every time I'm in garage and remember to do so.

I sick and tired of arguing about tires, idlers and sprockets.
    Lets beat each other up about...………………………………………………...LUBE!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    ...make sure the key at 3 o'clock then a simple push with the thumb and the key will give a click as it turns to the left by itself
    Yes turn the key before applying any pressure to the cap. I had noticed a couple of F3 riders pressing down hard on the cap and then trying to turn the key. This is self-defeating as you are effectively jamming the latch that retracts when you turn the key.

If you follow the lubrication tips in ths thread, turn the key first, then press down the key will snap back on its own when you press down on the cap.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Road-kill, my can of WD40 says it lubricates. What does yours say?
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default that is a great idea about dealer replace--

and thank you all for suggestions
    this community is a life saver--literally
    i will try the lithium grease and let you all know how it resolved--it doesnt help that my mild disability prevents full strength push down on it--
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by LA2015FS View Post
    I had the same issue with my new f3s 2015 ..... last year when I bought it... its a little easier now but not much... I have to stand on the foot pegs and use force from my arms down onto both thumbs on the sides of cover to close it. I was concerned about not getting it closed ever time I went to fill it, but my husband is usually with me and is able to assist on the few occasion I haven't been able to. Interesting - I took a 2017 F3s out from the shop this year while mine was in. No issues with that gas cap at all. So easy to close, I couldn't believe the difference. I think it is hit and miss, personally I think the difficult ones to close should be replaced at no cost by the dealers. I really like the shop I bought it from, so I will again bring it up to them when I get my next service and see if I can get it replaced. I did ask them last year if I should put some grease on it - they said no, they didn't recommend doing anything like that. They said to see if it worked in a bit, it has a bit but not much

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

All good suggestions, but the solution is simply to turn the key to the left (anti-clockwise) until it stops. Push down the cap until it clicks. Finish turning the key and remove.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default GAS CAP

I agree with AY4B. Get Lamonster’s keyless gas cap and problem solved.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

To date this is our best selling product. I've tried all the other fixes and they work for a while but this is a permanent fix and it looks great too. We have a hard time keeping them in stock and dealers are buying them 20 at a time. Here's a few customers that have them and love them.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...bly-lamonster/

Loving my new fuel cap from Lamonster Garage!! The BEST mod for the F3 IMHO!! Thank you for a GREAT product...very satisfied customer!!

Got my fuel cap installed. Looks great. Thanks Lamonster. Another great product.

Thank you Lamont Bryden and Lamonster Garage!!!
    Looks awesome on my bike!
    Took about 20 min and it was FUN!!!
    Now we gotta go get gas and we don’t even need any!!!! HAPPY GIRL

Spyder Garage

The LM gas caps look great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default one of those is in my future

looks great!! first the mirror/turn light LEDS I bought from ya last month have to get in$talled, and my phone holder, ..and my cup holder, then fix the obstinate gas cap--thanks for input...not driving that much in this rainy weather up here anyway, so i wont need a fill up for a while again..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    To date this is our best selling product. I've tried all the other fixes and they work for a while but this is a permanent fix and it looks great too. We have a hard time keeping them in stock and dealers are buying them 20 at a time. Here's a few customers that have them and love them.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...bly-lamonster/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LA2015FS View Post
    this is causing me to think that i might have no choice but to open with can am a warranty claim. im severely deficient in muscle strength and having to fear the few times a month visit to the gas station is getting tedious...i have to beg the gas attendant to help me close it--thank you all for you replies and input

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Closing the gas cap on a Spyder"

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Yes turn the key before applying any pressure to the cap. I had noticed a couple of F3 riders pressing down hard on the cap and then trying to turn the key. This is self-defeating as you are effectively jamming the latch that retracts when you turn the key.

If you follow the lubrication tips in ths thread, turn the key first, then press down the key will snap back on its own when you press down on the cap.
    I agree....I've owned a '15 F3s and now a '16 F3 Ltd and both worked the same for me, Turn the key before pressing on the cap!!
    Phatjac

2015 F3s - sold
    2016 RTS - sold
    2016 F3 Ltd Special Series
    2016 RTS (wife's)

Spyder Garage

White lithium grease on the slide under the cap seal. Mine wouldn't move at first. You have to work it back and forth to free up the slide with both hands and then wipe off the excess. . Now I just push mine down to close. Don't need to turn the key first, but it is easier I supposed. The click let's you know its closed. When I first bought it it would not close at all unless I turned the key and the cap would not fully seat once it latched.

Spyder Garage

I thought about the keyless gas cap FOR ABOUT 60 SECONDS. Then I decided a locking gas cap is best. Just think if they sold Spyders with keyless gas caps. Some entrepreneur would come out with a locking one and everybody would buy it. We seem to want what we don't have. Get some silicone lube! Put some on your fingers and rub the rubber gasket with it. It will last for months!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit