Spyder Garage

Default Light in all storage and home made cup holder

All day work but finally done. Got light in all storages, trunk, frunk, both saddles. Also manufactured a cup holder using an old ring from a Butler cup holder (old Goldwing). All light controlled from a switch on the dash, which has a pilot blue light. Found these switches, which matches the OEM, on Amazon. 5 switches for less than $14.00. Anyone interested, below is the link. In the frunk, I re-used the micro switch that BRP, in all their wisdom, turned on a minuscule light, of all places, located behind the carpet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV2JMEG/ref=pe_825000_114660910_TE_item
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Butler cup

Good work I also have a old butler cup. Looks like you fabricated a metal holder? Any info would be appreciated. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Really nice job.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Very nice, me likey. Routing all that wiring is more work then it looks, that much I know.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Kudos to you, Can't let my wife see this or ... I gotta do it too.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Well done....

Looks amazing and well lit in all areas. Love the DIY'ers the cup holder looks great also. congrats on a good job....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Good work I also have a old butler cup. Looks like you fabricated a metal holder? Any info would be appreciated. Bob
    Attached are the detailed drawing/pictures on the drink holder. PM me if you need more detail. Doing the wiring for the light was a pain. Had to remove a lot of plastic to hide the wiring. All day and 3 beers (to keep me going).

Spyder Garage

Great job, well done....
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    All day work but finally done. Got light in all storages, trunk, frunk, both saddles. Also manufactured a cup holder using an old ring from a Butler cup holder (old Goldwing). All light controlled from a switch on the dash, which has a pilot blue light. Found these switches, which matches the OEM, on Amazon. 5 switches for less than $14.00. Anyone interested, below is the link. In the frunk, I re-used the micro switch that BRP, in all their wisdom, turned on a minuscule light, of all places, located behind the carpet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV2JMEG/ref=pe_825000_114660910_TE_item
    LOOKS AWESOME!

can you share some pics of the actual lights used and how you mounted.. maybe BRP will copy your great idea!

thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JOEMOTO View Post
    LOOKS AWESOME!

can you share some pics of the actual lights used and how you mounted.. maybe BRP will copy your great idea!

thank you
    I used an LED light strip that you can have on E-Bay for less than $7.00 including shipping. It comes in a spool that has 16.5 ft (5 meters) of light strip. It works on 12V. Can be cut to any lenght at the 3 LED mark. Cut to any length it still work with 12V. The strip has glue protected by a thin paper. Remove the paper and affix to clean plastic. I usually use alcohol and wipe the area, let dry and glue. I used about 16" for each saddle and about 12" for the trunk. In the saddles, it is glued to the top so the actual light is not visible. In the trunk, I mounted on the lip above where the USB port are. Again, not visible. Both saddles and trunk are wired through a switch installed on the dash next to the OEM switches. In the frunk, I had to cut a small section of the carpet on the side, to allow for the light to be glued to the plastic and allow the light to come through. In there, I used 4 short strip, about 4" each, glued next to each other. I used the existing micro switch to turn the light ON/OFF. The way BRP wired their existing light is using a hot (+) directly to the light and the ground (-) is the one controlled by the micro switch. The hard part was running the wires to the rear. Had to remove a lot of plastic to fish the wire across and keep it clean. Looking at the light strip, there is a small line between each 3 LED. That is where you cut. Use a soldering iron to solder small wire (18 or 20 gauge) the the brass connector. Pay attention to the + and - . It is labeled on the strip. The pictures are dark. I had to turn the light off. Too bright for my camera.
    PM me if you need more details. Also, below the link to E-bay light strip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warm-White-...UAAOSw1fha5iv2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    I used an LED light strip that you can have on E-Bay for less than $7.00 including shipping. It comes in a spool that has 16.5 ft (5 meters) of light strip. It works on 12V. Can be cut to any lenght at the 3 LED mark. Cut to any length it still work with 12V. The strip has glue protected by a thin paper. Remove the paper and affix to clean plastic. I usually use alcohol and wipe the area, let dry and glue. I used about 16" for each saddle and about 12" for the trunk. In the saddles, it is glued to the top so the actual light is not visible. In the trunk, I mounted on the lip above where the USB port are. Again, not visible. Both saddles and trunk are wired through a switch installed on the dash next to the OEM switches. In the frunk, I had to cut a small section of the carpet on the side, to allow for the light to be glued to the plastic and allow the light to come through. In there, I used 4 short strip, about 4" each, glued next to each other. I used the existing micro switch to turn the light ON/OFF. The way BRP wired their existing light is using a hot (+) directly to the light and the ground (-) is the one controlled by the micro switch. The hard part was running the wires to the rear. Had to remove a lot of plastic to fish the wire across and keep it clean. Looking at the light strip, there is a small line between each 3 LED. That is where you cut. Use a soldering iron to solder small wire (18 or 20 gauge) the the brass connector. Pay attention to the + and - . It is labeled on the strip. The pictures are dark. I had to turn the light off. Too bright for my camera.
    PM me if you need more details. Also, below the link to E-bay light strip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warm-White-...UAAOSw1fha5iv2

Thank you for the pictures!! looks great--- putting it on the list of mods to do!