Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I Met You?

Spyder Garage

Default Have I Met You?

Ok, let me explain this. What got me into the Spyder is when I saw my first one 3 summers ago. You and your wife had been touring for a while, pretty sure you were from midwest or east coast I don't remember. I think you had a white
    RT-L. This was in the town of Klamath in the Calif Redwoods and I'm pretty sure it was at the Ravenwood hotel. You were kind enough to tell me about the bike and let me sit on it before you covered it for the night. I think it was June.

Ring any bells for anyone? You are the reason I have one in my garage today so I'm curious if you are on the board.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you find them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hope you find them also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Me too....

Hope you find them and let us know....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Going to bump this every month or so given it’s like finding a needle in a haystack

Spyder Garage

So as you add things to your Spyder take a picture and post it and tell us how your ride is going. You can use that as a way to bump your search. Or take pictures of where you've been. Good luck with your search

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So as you add things to your Spyder take a picture and post it and tell us how your ride is going. You can use that as a way to bump your search. Or take pictures of where you've been. Good luck with your search
    Good suggestion, thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default Hope you find them!

Are you a member of Spyder Ryders of America, the SF Bay Chapter?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA-SPYDR View Post
    Are you a member of Spyder Ryders of America, the SF Bay Chapter?
    Yes, went to the chapter meeting on Saturday

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Good suggestion, thank you.
    Does this mean you finally pulled the trigger and got one?!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Does this mean you finally pulled the trigger and got one?!
    Yes! It’s my avatar, that’s me on it. Bought it from someone selling on the board.

Spyder Garage

Yes, went to the chapter meeting on Saturday
    I didn't make it! Next time

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes! It’s my avatar, that’s me on it. Bought it from someone selling on the board.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Well hot damn! CONGRATS! Maybe we'll run into each other on the coast or.....

Chuck

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

....or at the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! Great place to meet lots of other Spyder Ryders! https://norcalspyderrally.wixsite.com/ncsr

Hope to see you there. We just completed some pre-rydes for the rally this last weekend and it should be a fabulous time!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    ....or at the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! Great place to meet lots of other Spyder Ryders! https://norcalspyderrally.wixsite.com/ncsr

Hope to see you there. We just completed some pre-rydes for the rally this last weekend and it should be a fabulous time!
    Unfortunately cant make it this year due to a golf trip that same weekend.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately cant make it this year due to a golf trip that same weekend.
    Are you kidding me? You are going to run off to some grassy knoll and drive a golf cart at 5 mph and get frustrated at shooting an 8 on a par 3, when you could be ryding that beautiful Spyder at break neck speeds through the Sierra Nevada Mountains? priorities man! You will be selling those golf clubs soon! Once you really experience the joy of ryding we will see those tools of ignorance on sale on EBay! Try to enjoy yourself anyway!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tinder for Spyder Lovers?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Are you kidding me? You are going to run off to some grassy knoll and drive a golf cart at 5 mph and get frustrated at shooting an 8 on a par 3, when you could be ryding that beautiful Spyder at break neck speeds through the Sierra Nevada Mountains? priorities man! You will be selling those golf clubs soon! Once you really experience the joy of ryding we will see those tools of ignorance on sale on EBay! Try to enjoy yourself anyway!
    You captured my golf game perfectly! On the plus side it’s up the NorCal coast and I may ride the Spyder up.

Spyder Garage

Default Today’s Ryde

Well still hoping to run into the folks that I created the thread for but in the meantime I’m still getting to know my Spyder and have put about 700 miles on it. Today before it got blazing hot, and it was plenty toasty by the end, low 90s, my friend and I did a 52 mile circle around Mt Diablo here in NorCal. Surely not on the epic scale of things but still fun to get out. About 10 miles into the ride, all urban at this point, we stopped for coffee to catch up since our kids both went through school and scouts together but we hadn’t seen each other for a while.

Its always hit or miss if someone is going to inquire about the Spyder. Today was a miss. We then headed through grazing ranch land to Morgan Territory Trail which made the ride look interesting around Mt. Diablo. It was fairly leisurely getting to the turnoff to Morgan Territory and that’s when it got interesting.

Turns out that a few miles up the road as it skirts and cuts through the Regional Park it also turns into twisty single lane, blind curve, not much escape area, some turns banking the wrong way, road. Keep in mind I still consider myself a novice rider not having grown up on motorcycles and only owning mine since May with the first 6 weeks of that just trying to get it licensed here. As we made our way along I kept trying to decide if I was having fun or not around blind climbing turns. I’m still trying to decide. We also went the direction that didn’t provide much view. The picture attached was taken when we had a pullover spot but otherwise the view was at our back and once we were in the park it was just trees and shadows. It's hazy here because the whole state is on fire right now.

Speed was determined by safety but we still met 3 cars coming the opposite way including 1 SUV half out of his lane. Fortunately my speed was low as was his so I was able to basically stop while he got himself sorted out. I was up and down on the floorboards quite a bit trying to get a better view of the road when possible.

All in all everything turned out ok but here’s what I learned:
    i love the Spyder but on roads like this it can feel very wide
    I don’t care for single lane roads much, at least ones like this that are so blind
    I love the Day Long Seat, really comfy
    i got good experience on the bike and my confidence is definitely getting better as is my general skill at driving it
    Since I am ATGATT I sweat like crazy and am glad for the drink holder!
    i sort of want to do it one more time going the other direction for the view.
    Braking before and looking ahead through turns has definitely improved and once on main roads speed in excess of 60 when allowed is also getting more comfortable.

Ok, enough from me. Hope all who read this have a great weekend and a chance to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 08-10-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

LC, glad to hear you're breaking yourself into the Spyder ride but, waaaay too gradual dude, you're just getting to the beginning of the comfort range mileage wise! And you live in the land of way too many beautiful roads to ride in a lifetime, I just gotta try them all.
    But yes, as you get more used to the tracking and comfortable with the width, you'll enjoy those cruises so much more. Consider your uphill run recon for the next time coming down!
    Looks like you're a bit south and west of the worst of the CA fires this year. My favorite CA roads are all down south as I was stationed at Edwards back in my 20's. Bouquet Canyon Road to Santa Clarita to Lake Hughes road and back to Lancaster was our favorite loop back in day.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 08-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Well still hoping to run into the folks that I created the thread
    Um, we are going out 128 to 1 and down the coast tomorrow if ya wanna "run into" other ryders! Or you could just be at my house (Sonoma) at 7:30am for departure and get to ryde with a couple of nice guys on F3's.... We are gonna stop at the Starbuck's in Cloverdale after getting gas across the street at the Chevron if ya wanna "catch up"...

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Um, we are going out 128 to 1 and down the coast tomorrow if ya wanna "run into" other ryders! Or you could just be at my house (Sonoma) at 7:30am for departure and get to ryde with a couple of nice guys on F3's.... We are gonna stop at the Starbuck's in Cloverdale after getting gas across the street at the Chevron if ya wanna "catch up"...
    That is a great offer and I appreciate it. I’d also like to ride with and meet you some time. My son is home from school for only another week so I’m maximizing that time right now.

i am curious though is there anyone up there you know with a cognac RTL (pretty sure it was an RTL)? Saw him getting gas at across from the Boot Corral in Santa Rosa a week ago.

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

Re: I was stationed at Edwards back in my 20's

So was I; July '60 - Aug '61. I worked in Hospital Administration.

Jerry Baumchen
    PS) By the time I left I had really learned to love the desert.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    LC, glad to hear you're breaking yourself into the Spyder ride but, waaaay too gradual dude, you're just getting to the beginning of the comfort range mileage wise! And you live in the land of way too many beautiful roads to ride in a lifetime, I just gotta try them all.
    But yes, as you get more used to the tracking and comfortable with the width, you'll enjoy those cruises so much more. Consider your uphill run recon for the next time coming down!
    Looks like you're a bit south and west of the worst of the CA fires this year. My favorite CA roads are all down south as I was stationed at Edwards back in my 20's. Bouquet Canyon Road to Santa Clarita to Lake Hughes road and back to Lancaster was our favorite loop back in day.
    Nice to hear the comfort level is going to keep coming! 700 miles is best I can do, 2 kids in school and I’m the only one that rides so wife isn’t thrilled, understandably, if I disappear for days at a time. Also there is so much bloody traffic here I sort of pick my times.