Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS Manual Upgrading to 2017 F3T Auto, Thoughts Please

Hi Spyder Lovers,

I have a 2008 GS manual (36k miles) and an thinking about upgrading to 2017 F3T. I have had the GS since new in 2008.

Anyone made this upgrade and what's your impressions on the newer bike ??

How's Reliability / Comfort / Performance / Manual to an Auto / General Thoughts ??

Changing from a standard shift to an auto is a big concern even though all the dealers I talk to say the auto is the only way to go and the manual is actually being phased out in some F3 models.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I traded my 2012 RSS in for a 2016 F3T. For me, the engine and 6 speed transmission was a big improvement. Now, the biggest difference between the 2 will be the riding position. They are totally different. I am a somewhat big, and tall guy (6'-2", 250 lbs). For me the cruiser position reminded me of my M109, as well as the power delivery. So that made it perfect for me. Both of the ones above were semi-auto. But I did however have a 2014 RT SM6. Yes, the semi auto is very nice, but the manual is good as well. For me the key was getting a semi auto at a good price. Otherwise, I would not have ponied up the additional $1500 for the semi auto.
    There is also a lot less heat and lower rpm's on the 1330 with the 6 speed.
    But again, riding position is the biggest thing. Try it out and let your body tell you what is right for you. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Won't comment on the F 3, it wasn't for me. Auto transmission is fantastic. Wished I hadn't waited so long. Love it !!

Spyder Garage

The heat is an issue on my 2008 GS. I ride with shorts a lot and my legs can get close to being burnt on really hot days. The high revving with the 5 speed (80 mph is like 6k rpm) would be really nice to slow the engine down on the highway with 6 gears.

How is the power / acceleration on the 1330 to the 990. I think there is about 9 more HP with the ACE 1330 engine but about 150 lbs heavier so not sure if it makes it faster

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

You will miss things from the RS but it will depend on how well you adapt to the different seating, the semi-auto trans and the sewing machine sound.... none of it suits me but if you want new that and the RT are all there is....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To me the 990 with the standard transmission was much quicker. That said I love the 6 th gear and don't miss the clutch with the 1330 and semi-automatic transmission.
    Last edited by Saluda; 05-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Do it....

Coming from 2008 GS myself (Premiere Edition #2817) I test drove a number of F3's and the RT, RS whatever. I think for me the F3-T was the closest to my GS. I did go with the Semi-Automatic. Took awhile to get used to, I love it now and do not miss the Clutch. First Bike with Floorboards. Put the Ultimate Seat on it. F4 windshield. Definitely LED lights all around. Make sure you do TEST DRIVE. The F3-T had the similar posture as the GS, the RT was too straight up for my liking.

Chris
    One of the FIRST to own a Spyder 2008 No.2817 Premier Edition Spyder GS. I knew a good thing when I saw it!!

2016 F3-T, LED Headlights, Frnt. & Bck. Side Marker Lights, Back Frnt. Fender Lights, Trailer Hitch. Floor Boards Frnt. and Bck. Third Brake light. Cannonball seats. F4 24" windshileld. ( CAT Delete Pipe (muffler bck. on) ) 2003 Valkyrie

Spyder Garage

My local dealer in Waterbury, Ct told me they would get me out on a F3T so hopefully in the next week or so I will test drive one. If I like it I will be putting my 2008 GS up for sale and then find an F3T at a good price. It does seem like the 0-60 time will be a little slower on the bigger F3, that I know I would miss. Fast Is Fun..... Right ?? The 990 really is fast.

Spyder Garage

One thing I noticed that was different between my GS and the F3 I test road was the brake pedal. It took me a little bit to get used to lifting my foot to brake.

Spyder Garage

I also started with the 08 GS SM5. First one sold in Alaska. Bought an 09 with the SE5 and then three RT's.

I looked at the RT's as upgrades for various ergo reasons. Performance wise--the other posters are right on.

The F3 is the new "darling" of the line. I do not think you will be disappointed. For many, eight years is a long time to wait.

Enjoy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschaub View Post
    My local dealer in Waterbury, Ct told me they would get me out on a F3T so hopefully in the next week or so I will test drive one. If I like it I will be putting my 2008 GS up for sale and then find an F3T at a good price. It does seem like the 0-60 time will be a little slower on the bigger F3, that I know I would miss. Fast Is Fun..... Right ?? The 990 really is fast.
    The test ride is what you need the most!
    Good luck, and Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschaub View Post
    I bought my 2015 sm6 From LandNSea (Bob) and Its Much better handling than the 2009 GS SE5 I traded in. If you buy the F3 I would REALLY advise the SE6 Auto if you want the best acceleration on the F3- The sm6 Manual I got is OK but with 6 gears the automatic would be well worth it Because the Gears are Much Shorted so you are always shifting? You can't beat LandN Seas for prices- Tell them Sarge sent you??

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Simple answer...

DON'T DO IT!

I rode my GS for 5 years and loved it, okay so there are the build quality issues but it was after 2 and a half years that theses came to the fore.

I bought an F3 (manual) last summer and have regretted it since. It is not as responsive, not as quick and the build quality is even worse. I am already on it's second DPS and second rear sprocket, the powdercoating fell off the original.

The F3 powerband kicks in after 4k revs, then it is quite exciting but it is far slower on acceleration than the GS.

The GS is more sports tourer, which lends itself to a more aggressive ride if required, the F3 is a cruiser, which turns the rider into a parachute!

There are slight design improvements on the F3 however, there are also design setbacks, I only get into these as I am not shy about stripping these things down.

In all I use this as my main form of transport all year round and of the two the GS is, in my opinion, a better bike all round.