Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?
    Also "disabled" and currently unable to ride due to lack of funds and a non working right ankle. How about calling it "Gimp Mods" 😀? Any chance of someone putting together a parts list for the m/c and slave that will do the hand brake conversion? Some just cant afford the big buck kits but have the skills to "do it yourself".

Spyder Garage

Default Muscular Dystrophy Still Riding

I have been fighting a progressive disease for quite a spell now and just love the spyder. The feel of the wind in my face and the freedom born in my DNA that strives to be unleashed.
    Enjoy my friends

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone from the NW part of the country?

Went to Back Fire Motto night in Ballard WA yesterday, many cool bikes, vintage, bobbers, custom you name it but no Spyders, Hmm maybe we should do something about that eh.
    2013 ST-S SE5
    2008 Custom Roadster
    2007 Yamaha Morphous

Spyder Garage

i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
    Put me on your list of riders.
    Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wlo48 View Post
    i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
    Put me on your list of riders.
    Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.
    Thank you for your service!
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default not so sad, just necessary

Well, it was fun and we enjoyed the few local rides but the Spyder has to go. Life happens when you are having fun and priorities in this case are easily made. I listed the Spyder here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ly-1-754-miles

We are actually hopeful in an upcoming medical procedure, so no sadness in it. Totally hopeful in an awesome outcome.

Bottom line, check out the 2015 RTL in the thread above.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have diabetic neuropathy to my knees. So grateful for the semi automatic transmission. I couldn't feel a clutch.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Boots's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    I'm in frigid Northern Ontario.....Sudbury to be exact. We're not having the best start to the summer here, but I have hope for sunny days ahead.
    I am so Thankful for the Spyder.I don't consider myself handicap I was born without my right arm.I had a foot pedal for the gas installed on the left side.I average 10,000 miles a year.I love my Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike
    Mike, if you only could see some of the faces when I get questioned about my parking in a H/C spot, even when they see the plate... And I pull my pant leg up and they are in total shock. Although I'm somewhat glad they question the parking in a designated space, I really wish they mind their own f@&$)$g business.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wasaga Beach Ont

Just 100 km or so (~60 miles) North of Toronto, Ontaro

My second Spyder - 2008 SE then 2012 RT-S ..... Next could be a '16 or '17 RT-S

Left AKA - So no further mods were needed. Well I do really like my Airhawk as it alleviates the "push" from the lip on my Prosthetic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?
    How about "Handiriders"
    I also am disabled Thxs
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Help on e brake......

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    Seth, put a handle on top of the e brake and push down to put em on before you get off your ride... My ride is almost done, will put pics when done.. I used the lamont style brakes with some minor design change.. I can smoke my tires on the spot, my brakes work perty darn good..

and slow down Setho........ he he he..
    Just bought my 2008 GS. Have nerve damage in left ankle. How do you put a handle on top of e brake.
    Don't know how to use this site yet so e-mail is TNTHERAPY50@YAHOO.COM. Pics would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    There are many of us "enabled" ryders out here who don't have a visible disability. Mine is from the navy and involves damaged internal organs for which I take mucho pills to keep 'em functioning. Pain, discomfort, fatigue, arrhythmia? Yes. Missing a limb or similar? No. Just a reminder that not all disabilities/handicaps are visible ones. So, mobility impairment can be outer body damage, AND/OR inner body damage. I can walk fine, but it's painful in my gut and abdomen, and fatiguing. My Spyders have been a Godsend. My disability left me too weak to pick a bike up, but the Spyder makes that a non-issue. In fact, the Spyder pretty much overcomes every draw back of a 2 wheel bike or even the traditional trike. The saying that "it's not if but when you'll go down" is no longer in play. Love my Spyder.
    Orright, I guess I should put my hand up for the roll call!! I'm another one of these 'not obviously enabled' Ryders like Navy Warrant above, also due to Service that began in the Navy - Royal Australian Navy that is! I share similar pain & medication issues, altho since suffering a 'blast induced Traumatic Brain Injury', I now also have other issues including some difficulty walking much further than about 50 yards on my good days & 2 yards on the bad days - but let me get in the saddle or driver's seat & I'm rarin' to go!!

I'm lucky enough that I don't need any mods to make the Spyder the Godsend that it is, & my Wife & Family agree that me spending time on the Spyder makes me a whole lot easier to live with!! An hour of 'spirited ryding' often means that I can skip one of the (many) doses of pain meds that I live on each day, so I call it my Hi-Speed Mobility Scooter. I also really appreciate & often use the Disability Parking tags that I've been issued as a result of my 'service caused infirmities' & I must admit that more than once I've been 'accosted' by an idiot who can't see the big blue sticker!! Still, I more often end up having polite conversations with people who initially express interest at my parking in Handicapped spaces & then they generally end up being really impressed with the Spyder & the unique features that allow me to keep ryding & active the way I can & do!

Love my Spyder, really miss it when I can't Ryde for whatever reason, & ryde the heck out of it whenever I can!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default roll call

[QUOTE=Jumper35;103795]Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE Being new to the whole spyder riding experience i have to say after 12 years of riding my vw trike its definently a whole new way of riding with that said ive been in a wheelchair since the age of 2 and all my life ive always loved challenges as there always is with being in a wheelchair but we find a way everyday i installed the handbrake on my 2010 rss last night and it is amazing highly recommend it building a cradle for the chair drop in the wheels lean it back and attache under the rear foot peg sounds easy lol.the only problem im having is i sit with my legs folded one over the for ease in transfering so when turning the spyder feels like your going to be slingshotted off the bike anyone else have any issues wth balance ....

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow disabled riders
    I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post
    I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.
    I have had it since I was in the marine corps in the early 70's, had a great career 2 daughters, 6 grand kids...now retired from government contractor.
    This bike is the best thing to ever for a disabled vet /person...I wish I could have started earlier.

Looking forward for many great rides and thank you for your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder Garage

I am very thankful that I loved Spyders before I got injured. My local motorcycle group teases me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle, but hey, it enables me to ride when otherwise I no longer could! I injured my left hip 2.5 years ago due to malfunctioning equipment at work. Despite a surgery and a bunch of therapy, it still doesn't work like it should and the docs said it might never get better. I am very thankful I can ride the Spyder, and I have no problem with others teasing me. In reality, I know they all want to try it too!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    I am very thankful that I loved Spyders before I got injured. My local motorcycle group teases me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle, but hey, it enables me to ride when otherwise I no longer could! I injured my left hip 2.5 years ago due to malfunctioning equipment at work. Despite a surgery and a bunch of therapy, it still doesn't work like it should and the docs said it might never get better. I am very thankful I can ride the Spyder, and I have no problem with others teasing me. In reality, I know they all want to try it too!
    I totally agree...people are always asking me questions about the spyder so it doesn't bother me either....never did. I drive a wheelchair most of the day except when I am out riding my spyder or my scooter trike around town, they both are fun to ride in there on way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder Garage

I woke up in a hospital with a shattered vertebra, and knew my riding days were over. All I could think about was riding, I could see the road over the bars on a beautiful day as I lay there. My sister recommended reading about enabled spyder Ryder's. She owned her spyder a couple of years already.
    I had $$ down on a GS for a month before I was able to go home. My helmet sat on my bed in the nursing home for a few weeks. 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I rode for 35 years, the Spyder and its community has been a Godsend for me after 7 back surgeries and having both hips replaced twice. Even though I'm mostly on 2 feet, I've lost most of the feeling in my left leg from the knee down and have mild nerve damage in right foot and ankle. My RTS has kept me riding and sane.
    Thank you BRP,
    Woody

Registered Users TeddyBearsRoadster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great post and informative. I am disabled as well. Had back injury some years ago. Have three discs in lower back damaged. One collapsed putting pressure on sciatic nerves. Always promised myself when I retired I would buy a motorcycle. After back injury I thought that would never happen. Then I heard about the Spyder. Checked them out and had to try one. Not having to lean on corners and not having to balance the weight when stopping I can ride the Spyder with minimal irritation to my back.
    First one was an 08' GS SM5.
    Was great once I got in High gear. The nerve damage caused problems making my left leg do what I want it to do.
    I ended trading up for a 2011 RS-S SE5. I love it. I can ride all afternoon. The paddle shifter works great. So I'm looking forward to all this snow melting and the salt being washed off the roads by a spring rain so I can get back out on my
    Spyder again. Sorry this got kind of long. Anyway what ever we have to do to to have a safe and fun ride is worth it.
    Hope to see some of you on the road one day. I'm in SW Wisconsin so you get around the area stop and say howdy.
    Ride safe and God Bless.
    John aka Teddy Bear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greetings from Sunny Queensland,
    I've joined the ranks of disabled Spyder riders and loving it.

2 days after getting out of Critical Care I was on the bike.
    Haven't ridden2 wheels for over 15 months and decided it had better be 3 wheels.
    Only did a few rides until I went back into hospital and after 3 months back on the bike........ it's the best medicine !

Cop a few strange looks when hoping off the bike in full leathers then unfolding a walking stick.........lol very funny.
    When the inquisitive ask the question most think I've been in a prior bike accident.

Nope just the on going saga with Crohns, all my electrolytes buggering up, low calcium, magnesium, sodium, and the main killer, low potassium.
    14 admissions in 14 months, lost 1/2 of my body weight I'm weak and frail
    I suffer from low blood pressure and sometimes fainting but luckily I know my limitations.
    I'm improving every day now and may be on the next most suitable bike, the TL1000R within a week or two. It's light and easily manoeuvrable AND fun

I don't think I'll get rid of the RT (2010) its a great bike, just one more bike rego to pay.
    Trying hard now to build up strength and stamina so I may attend our FJR get together / tour that's held every 2 years. I only have a few months left.

Cheers
    Ken