Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Great site

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Joined a few weeks ago and find this one site I will check out. I have a walking disability to the point I use a walker to go on the road with my vets group. The SE 5 was the answer for shifting and I think I will eventually invest in the hand break if the legs get worse.looking forward to the upcoming season on my new to me spyder.hope I can find a spyder group in my area to ride with ( Halifax Nova Scotia Canada ) great site here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I have heard and seen first hand how the Spyder has allowed people to experience ryding "Can Am style"...Makes the complaints on here seem minor.. I commend . you for taking life by the horns!!!.....Be safe!!!
    Many thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    The folks at ISCI in Montgomery, AL discount their hand brake substantially if you can document your disability. A photo of your handicapped plate should suffice.
    I will look into that , thanks for the tip.again I got to say "what a great site"

Spyder Garage

Best wishes to everyones health over the holiday and if you are riding be safe and enjoy what you are comfortable with doing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello!

My name is Niclas and im from Finland and i was in a surgery accident 2005 so im paralyzed from the waist.
    I did bought myself a Spyder rs -12 some days ago so this is my new project for a while to get this to work with my wheelchair and to get the handbrake done. I will also show my other projekt i have done and that is my car that is a little diffrent. It's nice to be here and read how you all doing to overcome your problems. And i feel i will like it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    Some may remember my list of questions a few months back. After a few mods and 1200 miles i feel comfortable enough to make a comment on the bike, AWESOME!!!!! It took abit to get use to the new riding style(trike) but after the first 700 miles i became very comfortable and really enjoy being in the wind again. I have been riding since 5, except for the years of hospital time due to Iraq, and now ride her like I stole her. The feeling of being in the wind again is impossible to explain....

I'd like to thank you for the name "Enabled SpyderLovers". I don't see myself as Handicapped, disabled etc. I may have been slowed down but I can still live a full life. Thank you again for honoring our dedication to return to riding with a title that reflects the attitudes of the men/women that ride them.

Be safe.....
    " Thank you for your Service, God Bless"

Spyder Garage

There may be an answer on here already as I haven't gotten to read all the posts..... I'm a double leg amputee and have an ISCI hand brake. It stops my RS but if it were an emergency stop I'd be in trouble. It is a slow gradual decent. Does anyone have an ISCI that really works? I can't get my Spyder dealer to look at it because they say there is a liability since it's not OEM. I'm open to any help here as I feel "whole" again being able to ride but I don't feel safe right now.
    Thanks !

Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THESE MAY HELP

Quote Originally Posted by jimsturges View Post
    There may be an answer on here already as I haven't gotten to read all the posts..... I'm a double leg amputee and have an ISCI hand brake. It stops my RS but if it were an emergency stop I'd be in trouble. It is a slow gradual decent. Does anyone have an ISCI that really works? I can't get my Spyder dealer to look at it because they say there is a liability since it's not OEM. I'm open to any help here as I feel "whole" again being able to ride but I don't feel safe right now.
    Thanks !

Jim
    ....Get in touch with BAJARON and talk --- brake pads with Him -- He may have a solution for you........Mike

Spyder Garage

I just installed the ISCI Handbrake kit on my 2015 RT S and it seems to work as good as the foot brake. Mine came with a Harley brake handle and line. I used DOT4 synthetic brake fluid as recommended by the instructions and bled it a long time to remove any air. I read on another thread someone said to do that and it would have more force. Seems to work well so far. . Hope you are able to get it resolved. Safe riding!
    Thump
    Thump

Spyder Garage

Thanks Thump

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Get in touch with BAJARON and talk --- brake pads with Him -- He may have a solution for you........Mike
    Thanks Mike will do

Jim

Spyder Garage

Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    There are many of us "enabled" ryders out here who don't have a visible disability. Mine is from the navy and involves damaged internal organs for which I take mucho pills to keep 'em functioning. Pain, discomfort, fatigue, arrhythmia? Yes. Missing a limb or similar? No. Just a reminder that not all disabilities/handicaps are visible ones. So, mobility impairment can be outer body damage, AND/OR inner body damage. I can walk fine, but it's painful in my gut and abdomen, and fatiguing. My Spyders have been a Godsend. My disability left me too weak to pick a bike up, but the Spyder makes that a non-issue. In fact, the Spyder pretty much overcomes every draw back of a 2 wheel bike or even the traditional trike. The saying that "it's not if but when you'll go down" is no longer in play. Love my Spyder.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 08-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?

Spyder Garage

Default CAN'T CURE STUPID

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider12 View Post
    Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?
    ......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dinoninn View Post
    I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.
    I'll find some of mine here. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default We are out there!

Make it great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hubby took our niece and granddaughter on a short 10 mph ride. Granddaughter is almost 6, has cochlear implants and at least with that slow ride had no problems. She kept
    saying me and Katie taking a ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default All the joys

I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER RIDING

Quote Originally Posted by Jpquinn View Post
    I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless
    in case I didn't say it earlier ........Ride safe ride happy ,.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Quality of Life

Hi, I am a former educator who is now disabled. Now @ 49 I thought I would never ride a two wheeler or even a trike. After having a heart attack and being diagnosed with CHF and Cardiomyopathy and an EF @ 10% with a pacemaker-defb inserted. Many people look at me and would never know. I have the disabled logo on my RT and the looks and some comments I get when I park are sometimes uncomfortable and at times I tell people of my condition. " But your Riding a Bike" is what I always get. It is difficult for me to walk distances and do certain things but I have a new normal and I live within my limits. By the Lords grace the Spyder has helped enhance my quality of life.
    JW. Metro Atlanta. 2012 RT SE-5, TircLed mirror turn signals, run/turn saddlebag lights, ring of fire, and fender tip lights, ShowChrome backrest,chrome (wide) foot pegs, SpyderPops spyclops, A-arm LED's, JT's USB Port, Digital Voltmeter ( Ebay) and Performance Powersports Scoops.

Spyder Garage

A couple of years ago, I was injured by malfunctioning equipment at work (should have quit beforehand, when I asked the boss to fix it and he said no). Despite a surgery and 2 years' worth of various therapy, my left hip is not cooperating very well.

Thankfully I had wanted a Spyder ever since they came out so I don't feel like I had to "settle" for a Spyder, like some people assume; rather I finally had an excuse to buy one. I'd rather not have had that excuse but well, I do. I love Spyders, I actually enjoy them more than 2 wheelers (which I started riding over 20 years ago).

I do want to get a hand brake but don't have a real NEED for one yet so I really can't justify to spend the money. Maybe by the time I really NEED one, someone will come up with a more affordable kit... who knows, maybe even BRP will design one!
    Last edited by griffontamer; 04-27-2016 at 01:05 AM.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Default handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup.
    where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cplbayou View Post
    where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper
    Years ago, before ISCI came out with the hydraulic brake system, some owners had come up with a cable operated hand brake. It just went from a handlebar mounted brake lever to the foot brake pedal. There should be some threads in the archives on this subject from '09 or '10.